It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Maya and 2012: A Discussion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Get used to it. This is not your discussion board. Count to 10 and then repeat, ... it's okay, .... it's okay.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I personally find it disturbing that people lend weight to an opinion or statement from someone due to their heritage.

Consider these statements:
"A European says 2012, a year picked by the Mayans, is a time of great change"
"A Mayan says 2012, a year picked by the Mayans, is a time of great change"

Side by side these statements may show a slight tendency to choose the second sentence as the more believable. When all you see is the second sentence and you take it as valid because of the speaker you are clearly a racist. The choice is based on the ancestry of the speaker and nothing more.

When Don Alejandro repeats a statement that came from a New Ager I think, "Take the fool's money and laugh."

Why shouldn't Don Alejandro laugh. Seriously! I think it's funny how the gullible hand over the cash to be ripped off.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
But back on thread,

I enjoyed reading the well written material from XCalibur254. The reading material was concise yet covered material I had not read. It followed the development of the 2012 ideas.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

15 years ago i bought a telescope that came with software ,that allowed you to get the positions of the stars and planets at any given time past ,present ,and future,,,you punch in 12-21-2012...and you get all of our known planets in a straight line with the sun....the mayans calculated all this how ? this far into there future .....or was it just a lucky guess????????and why??...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by excalibrate

When your TV is the night sky and you start paying attention and making markings of how the stars/planets are in different spots every night and if you pay attention long enough notice them "moving". After a while it becomes pretty clear of cycles. Like the moon for instance. Do you ever notice any major changes in it's cycle? Think about it. They were a very observant culture. The cosmos were something that fascinated them. It is not at all impossible for them to know about the alignment. It isn't much different for how astronomers knew to put the data in for that alignment in that software. If you're going to ask how the Mayans knew, you should also be asking how we know now and then compare.
edit on 8-10-2011 by crohny because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2011 by crohny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

It was a brilliant thread. The fact that the feller in the first couple posts who rags on it and says it's crap proves it's a damn fine post. Only things that get a lot of praise around here are the lunatics on youtube who come up with the most absurd theories with no logic backing them.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by excalibrate

The planets all in a line on 12-21-2012?

All of the planets generally lie in the ecliptic. They are generally in a "straight line" all of the time.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Get used to it. This is not your discussion board.

I was merely searching for reason, but to no avail, for it has not yet been found.
I never claimed that the board was mine, but where is this 'discussion' that you mention?

reply to post by crohny

The fact that the feller in the first couple posts who rags on it and says it's crap proves it's a damn fine post.
Not sure how you reached that conclusion, but I did not 'rag on it', nor did I say 'it was crap.' I made no mention at all, of the information that was presented in the other thread. Actually, at that time, I had not yet even read any of it.

It was a brilliant thread.
Was?? Past tense?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

We moderators keep our eyes open for unusual threads with lots of documentation (hard core stuff) and will pin them as resources.

We often close the topic when we pin it to prevent "noise" (offtopic comments, thread drift) that wouldn't enhance the thread.

Wouldn't it make more sense, if you had added a link to this thread, into your post in that other thread? Such as:

Closed, pinned for reference material.

Join The Discussion Here:
The Maya and 2012: 'Discussing' The Timeline And References.

Obviously, this thread has not received much attention. Along with closing the thread to prevent "noise," didn't you also prevent it from being seen on any of the 'Hot-Topic Lists'? It seems that those lists are what a majority of the members use to find new threads.

Kind of a 'catch 22.' Not only did you prevent the unwanted 'noise,' but you basically completely silenced the entire thread, and all of the information therein.

Personally, I'm not seeing the logic behind your reasoning for this.↓

Originally posted by Byrd

I snagged the thread before anyone had a chance to comment, actually.

Why the rush? If you feel that the information is that important, then why not even start 2 identical threads. The entire thing could easily have been copied and pasted into another. Leave the original open, and visible, so that others will find it, while shutting down the duplicate.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by excalibrate

15 years ago i bought a telescope that came with software ,that allowed you to get the positions of the stars and planets at any given time past ,present ,and future,,,you punch in 12-21-2012...and you get all of our known planets in a straight line with the sun....the mayans calculated all this how ? this far into there future .....or was it just a lucky guess????????and why??...

Not seeing it. Well, each planet is "in a straight line with the sun" but that happens with any two points.

www.fourmilab.ch...
edit on 10/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by excalibrate

Not seeing it. Well, each planet is "in a straight line with the sun" but that happens with any two points.

www.fourmilab.ch...
edit on 10/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Yeah the closest alignment I can see on that site is 2015-11-11 @ 11:11:11...which im sure some people will have a field day with
but even then its not all planets etc. etc.

3012-11-11 @ 11:11:11?? maybe the people talking about aligments slipped on their keyboards? lol
edit on 8-10-2011 by Tangled2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

The thread was opened at 8:22PM according to my computer and was closed as 8:29PM. We only give a thread seven minutes to get a response or it gets closed? I dont think so, I think it was closed for another reason but the mod was not entirly clear with his/ her statement about pinned for references or what ever.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I may get flamed for this, but I came across these and am intrigued by them. The third is the most relevant.

edit on 16-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I only watched part of the third video. The person speaking dismisses the standard suggestions without reason and then gives nonsensical claims instead. For example, he claims that the Mayan could accurately predict quakes. He claims they could accurately predicted weather. He claims they could use psychic energy to attract clouds.

Please provide any evidence of these claims. Provide anything at all. Nothing is provided other than a wacko story. The 3rd video is really lame.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

FFS man, it's a Doco. And it's Spock narrating. That surely counts for something.

They were made between 1976 and 1982. This is from Season two, episode 4. That's what I found interesting about them. And the date given for the end of the Mayan calendar.

It seems back then certain things were touted in the 'mainstream'.
edit on 16-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Give me a bit and I should be able to get around to these. However if the videos are from 1977/78 then there had already been a history of people trying to associate the Long Count with an apocalypse. This also would be after the first New Age theory associated with the calendar by Frank Waters. The apocalypse accounts all tend to stem from the Dresden Codex which gives no indication of a date or even if it is referring to a future event, whereas Waters theory suffers from many of the same problems that many modern New Age theories suffer from.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Spock and others have been dragged into lots of hocus pocus stuff over the years. It pays the bills I guess. Unfortunately, I find that most documentaries are actually baloney stories. Too bad because it taints the real documentaries.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Invasion of aliens. Nothing else.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

All good man, I look forward to what you have to say. I have no doubt that some of the theories being touted were sourced elsewhere, I just wasn't sure about the age of those theories, given the age of this Doco.

As mentioned, it's the age of the Doco's that has me intrigued. It is also the age of the doco that should have you giving it just a little bit of leeway. Oh, and the fact Spock is narrating.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I would like a discussion, since i kinda enjoy the whole mayan calander talk.
Can you tell me why there are now so many different dates this calendar suposed to end?

I read that it would and somewhere in 2062 or even 2112, i read that it would and Oct, 28, 2011, i reaqd that it would end 12, 21, 2012.

Why so many different timelines? I think because we don't know anything about it. All we have are lucky guesses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join