It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Doctors Grow and Transplant a Human Jawbone using Stem Cell Technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Scientists have grown a human jawbone using stem cells and transplanted it into a cancer patient. The jawbone was implanted and grown in the man's back. It is unknown if the jawbone will function long term but so far it is functioning well. He is even eating steak but complains since he has no teeth it is cold by the time he is done.

story.news.yahoo.com
A German who had his lower jaw cut out because of cancer has enjoyed his first meal in nine years � a bratwurst sandwich � after surgeons grew a new jaw bone in his back muscle and transplanted it to his mouth in what experts call an "ambitious" experiment.

According to this week's issue of The Lancet medical journal, the German doctors used a mesh cage, a growth chemical and the patient's own bone marrow, containing stem cells, to create a new jaw bone that fit exactly into the gap left by the cancer surgery.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have been waiting to see this for awhile after seeing scientists on television explaining it is possible. I am sure some of you remember the rat that had the human ear grown into it's back. This is a major step forward towards growing hearts and other important organs for transplant.

Maybe now the good will be seen in stem cell research and the ban will be lifted. This could help countless numbers of people and be much more cost effective it seems once it is perfected because your body grows the transplant.

[edit on 8-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
My question is...if you a faulty organ due to genetics/DNA, then will the organ that grows be faulty as well. In some cases, the organ may have to be grown from someone else.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Didn't think of that. If the problem with your organ is genetic then I am sure it would carry over.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This in my veiw is the next human revolution. Imagine the possibilitys.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
My question is...if you a faulty organ due to genetics/DNA, then will the organ that grows be faulty as well. In some cases, the organ may have to be grown from someone else.

That's only true if the organ is faulty because of genetics which I'm no expert on but I don't think happens very often, and it's more likely to just have been damaged or injured or not developed correctly for some reason. Like a broken arm isn't genetic a heart that has heart murmurs isn't either.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yea, I understand its not always genetic, I thought it was understood that broken arms aren't genetic.

But, if an organ deteriorates because of genetics, would the grown organ be at the same stage as the deteriorated one, or would it start afresh and deteriorate, or neither?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It seems to me if they grew a per say a new heart that heart would be new. The heart you had that needed to be replaced would definatly have alot more usage. Seems like the genetic defect would still be there but most likely it would take just as long to deteriorate as the last one.

I am sure excersice and diet and life style on genetic defects would also be a contributing factor. But by the time all this becomes possible they will be able to weed out the defects if they know what they are. They could modify your dna before implanting it into the stem cells. I doubt this will be used to grow organs at least for another 10 years or so.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I beat you too it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, you generated way more responses than I did.....

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I did an ats search using jaw and bone and nothing about it popped up. I hate to post after someone else does it but it being on the news headline is why it's got more responses. It's interesting though and I wanted to let people know.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ah yes... the possibilities of this research are endless... I like to see people being helped with these new procedures.

And those bible thumpers wanted to ban stem cell research... idiots.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ah yes... the possibilities of this research are endless... I like to see people being helped with these new procedures.

And those bible thumpers wanted to ban stem cell research... idiots.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hoppinmad1
I did an ats search using jaw and bone and nothing about it popped up. I hate to post after someone else does it but it being on the news headline is why it's got more responses. It's interesting though and I wanted to let people know.

No worries, it was an interesting topic. The scientists are still trying to figure out the role the stem cells played in the development, but it is an exciting development....

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hey, mind if a Bible thumper chimes in? Guess what? We're not all against stem cell research--just destructive embryonic stem cell research, which requires large-scale human cloning.

Originally posted by Hoppinmad1
Maybe now the good will be seen in stem cell research and the ban will be lifted. This could help countless numbers of people and be much more cost effective it seems once it is perfected because your body grows the transplant.

There is no ban on stem cell research! That's just one of the great myths about stem cell research being spread:

1. THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION BANNED STEM CELL RESEARCH (Actually, the Bush administration liberalized existing restrictions, much to the dismay of many conservatives)
2. CURES ARE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER IF ONLY THE ADMINISTRATION CHANGES ITS MIND (Even supporters of destructive embryo stem-cell research admit that any cures are still many years away)
3. ADULT STEM CELLS ARE SECOND BEST (Adult stem cells are being used in dozens of effective treatments right now)
4. THEY ONLY WANT TO USE THE 'SPARE' EMBRYOS THAT WILL DIE ANYWAY (They want to legalize human cloning on a massive scale, a horrific concept whose opponents are not limited to pro-lifers)

See www.stemcellresearch.org for more information. I think most of the people who support destructive embryonic stem cell research don't really understand the issue.

Incidentally, the replacement jawbone was generated using adult stem cells, not embyronic stem cells. There is no restriction on research using adult stem cells.

[edit on 8/27/2004 by MrOtis]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Nice to know the above things. More urban legends I guess. I have heard countless times the study of stem cells has been heavily regulated. I was unaware of the several different types that are used.

The most important thing is that it is helping people. As far as using embryos to do this it does raise ethical questions. But doesn't this whole process itself raise ethical questions. When will it come to the point to where we can just grow and replace any body part we want and extend our lifes for amazing periods of time.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I wonder, now that they grew what they want how do they make it stop growing beyond that? Right now it's a jaw bone but now that it's implanted for use how do they control the . Anyone have a clue?

This is all very fascinating, especially cause it was adult stem cells. BTW embryonic stem cells can be very unpredicable and unstable, growing into all kinds of things that were not intended. Adult stem cells are not as likely to this. I think they also mentioned using bovine derived something as part of the starter for this. Why wouldn't they just use all human?

Guess we'll have to give this one some time to see the final outcome, I do hope for the best for the patients sake. Really a modern miracle for a case like this.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

think they also mentioned using bovine derived something as part of the starter for this. Why wouldn't they just use all human?

As long as it's compatible, cows don't object!
Human donors on the other hand....are harder to find.

Truly this is a great step for the possibilities of stem cells.

It should be noted that the main difference with embryonic vs. adult stem cells, is that embryonic ones can be influenced to become just about anything, and are hence much more flexible in their applications...however, this also comes with the unpredictability factor...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hay, look at my jaw-bone in my back... I love it.. Stem-cell= imortality.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Hello,

A better way to get stem cells, and an ethical way, is using human fat cells. That's right! There was a doctor showing it last night on TV. He was the doc who invented liposuction and was actually doing lipo to himself with nurses and other doctors around. His fat is saved and different cells are removed and flash frozen. The various cells that are separated out are stem cells from his own body. Some of these various cells help with bone growth. Others may be used for other medical issues.

Tiza

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiza
A better way to get stem cells, and an ethical way, is using human fat cells. That's right! There was a doctor showing it last night on TV. He was the doc who invented liposuction and was actually doing lipo to himself with nurses and other doctors around. His fat is saved and different cells are removed and flash frozen. The various cells that are separated out are stem cells from his own body. Some of these various cells help with bone growth. Others may be used for other medical issues.

Tiza

Is it just me? I am still too grossed out by this one to want to consider it. Like my poor little sister who has no bady fat at all (she's a tad athletic), would need a donor - ugh!

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It should be noted that the main difference with embryonic vs. adult stem cells, is that embryonic ones can be influenced to become just about anything, and are hence much more flexible in their applications...however, this also comes with the unpredictability factor...

Another urban legend. Adult stem cells are just as flexible, and without the side effect of still having the telomerase enzyme active, which basically keeps the cells dividing forever.

Sounds like immortality, but unchecked cellular growth in adults is called "cancer".

That's why embryonic stem cells have never been tested in humans. Every time they've been tried in lab animals, they've caused cancer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join