It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy DC: Repeal Corporate Personhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I am thrilled that Occupy Wall Street has put together a common list of their complaints (and say a list of demands is forthcoming). The one that really excites me at the moment is the Occupy DC group, who are focusing on the Repeal of Citizens United - Corporate Personhood

I personally think this would be a FANTASTIC first step in putting things back in balance. I had posted a link in response to another thread, but thought this might deserve its own thread, since it is focused on a single objective.

Does anybody know what it would actually take to get it repealed? Can ordinary people petition/vote/do anything about it in addition to just protesting? Has the Supreme Court ever said they were wrong about a decision? CAN the Supreme Court say they are wrong and change a decision? Any legal types out there that know how this would work, please pipe up.

Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance for your input!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Look, if you don't know that the Supreme Court can reverse their own decisions, how can you understand whether corporate personhood is a good thing or a bad thing? This is the problem with Occupy Wall Street, the majority of people involved in it can't grasp basic legal concepts, but at the same time, they have strong opinions about complex legal topics. It makes me facepalm.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyFoxMulder

So, I can't have an opinion about the destructive nature of the concept of Corporate Personhood because I don't understand the ins and outs of the Supreme Court. And I'm an idiot. Got it, thanks for your participation.

I troubleshoot and fix database and software application issues every day (and have done so for the past 16 years) for plenty of folks who have no idea how such processes work. I don't think they are stupid just because they don't have the expertise to fix the problem. I do, however, recognize that they know when something is wrong. It's pretty obvious, for example, when their financial reports are incorrect. You don't have to know the technicalities to recognize when there is a problem and ask other people for help in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

edit on 2-10201110-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Wow that's a little rude and demeaning isn't it. Why do you have to be so negative and if you think he might not understand something why not try to help them understand instead of label and demean them. That's what I think is destroying humanity people with this attitude. Be a positive helping force not negative and destructive, please.

Anyway back to the op. I don't think there is any reasonable reason for a corporation to be considered a person for legal reasons. No matter who can repeal it is the government and they all need to be held accountable. This is the best effort towards that end that I have seen or felt for a long time. It's gaining momentum and the media black out speaks volumes to the effect it is having so far. Good post OP! Thanks
edit on 2-10-2011 by kjburto because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2011 by kjburto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kjburto
Anyway back to the op. I don't think there is any reasonable reason for a corporation to person like for legal reasons.

There's plenty of reasonable reasons. Corporate personhood allows corporations to own property independent of the officers of a company. This allows corporations to be accountable to the SEC when it comes to their assets, because legally the corporation owns the assets instead of the individuals who run the board or whatever. It also allows corporations to enter into contracts without seeking approval of every single shareholder, board member, or anyone who has equity in the corporation. Without corporate personhood, corporations simply couldn't function.

You may call me negative, but these are some pretty obvious reasons for corporate personhood. They're also very simple and fundamental. This is why I treat Occupy Wall Street so negatively, I think it's fueled by emotions and not by logic. I think there's a general anti-corporation sentiment that overrides any logic.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

You can accomplish these things without making them into persons with the right to buy politicians and all the other crap they are doing now. Im just simply saying you could of said all that off the bat in a more positive tone is all anyway. So have a good night!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kjburto

My sentiments exactly! I don't believe it benefits the American people to have corporations behaving as "persons" with the ability to make political donations that obviously most actual persons would never have the ability to make. My belief is based upon the presumption that corporations with such "personhood" will act according to their profitability and their bottom line, and NOT toward the good of the people. Perhaps my presumption is naive... and corporations as "persons" are selfless and have sympathy toward the communities in which they reside? But somehow I doubt that.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyFoxMulder

Originally posted by kjburto
Anyway back to the op. I don't think there is any reasonable reason for a corporation to person like for legal reasons.
Without corporate personhood, corporations simply couldn't function.

Fearmongerer!!!

It might curtail their total world domination schedule, but I HIGHLY doubt they simply could not function. lol

new topics

top topics

join