It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel spoof prizes awarded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Prognosticators who predicted the end of the world and got it wrong, scientists who built a wasabi fire alarm, and researchers who studied how the urge to urinate affects decision-making were among the winners of spoof Ig Nobel prizes on Thursday.

Ig Nobels also went to researchers who found that the male buprestid beetle likes to copulate with Australian beer bottles called stubbies, and researchers who showed why discus throwers become dizzy and hammer throwers do not.

Other winners:

-- Arturas Zuokas, the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania, winner of the Peace Prize for showing that the problem of illegally parked luxury cars can be solved by running them over with an armored tank.

-- John Perry of Stanford University for his Theory of Structured Procrastination, which holds procrastinators can be motivated to do important things as long as they are doing them as a way of avoiding something even more important.

Source

I like that their list of end of the world prediction awardees included people like Pat Robertson and Harold Camping for "teaching the world to be careful when making mathematical assumptions and calculations."

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I like AZ's destruction of property, for sure.

I'd like to run over some cars in a tank.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

John Perry of Stanford University for his Theory of Structured Procrastination, which holds procrastinators can be motivated to do important things as long as they are doing them as a way of avoiding something even more important.

This is probably my favorite, although it is a tough decision. It actually reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy," set in the future and everyone is a moron. BTW if you haven't seen it, DON'T!

join