It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer accused of terrorizing citizens, still on force

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

www.cbsatlanta.com

A Metro Atlanta police officer is accused of being out of control and assaulting the citizens he was sworn to serve and protect.

CBS Atlanta News has obtained more than 500 pages of internal affairs complaints lodged against Clayton County police officer Michael Hobbs in the last five years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Visit the link for a TV news report, however, take note that there are some harsh images in there.

Despite of Hobbs' blatant violent behavior, the police chief has not taken any disciplinary action against the officer, claiming that the officers' "actions were within departmental policy and procedure."

I'm not surprised if police departments want to keep incidents like this in-house, but I am surprised there haven't been taken any measures to keep it from happening again. Such as firing the police officer responsible for instance.

When confronted by the reporter, Hobbs is acting dismissive and his behavior can in some ways be interpreted as hostile. Are these qualities something to be expected of someone that's sworn an oath to "protect and serve".

In my mind, both the police officer and police chief are deserving of losing their jobs. These two are prime examples of why people loose much needed respect and regard for the police, and authorities in general.

Ignoring it, keeping it under wraps, amongst themselves, has ultimately hurt them more than if the police chief had nipped this in the bud and handled it in the open, as he should have. Because it will eventually get out anyway.

If this isn't a lesson learned by now, it never will.

www.cbsatlanta.com

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
So how is the taste of good ol fascism homegrown...... mmmmhhhmmm Delicious.

I dont have words......................

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie

www.cbsatlanta.com

A Metro Atlanta police officer is accused of being out of control and assaulting the citizens he was sworn to serve and protect.

CBS Atlanta News has obtained more than 500 pages of internal affairs complaints lodged against Clayton County police officer Michael Hobbs in the last five years.

Nice find Droogie!

This blatant abuse of power is obscene..............this officers actions are terrible, but, when you read the police chiefs comments it gets even worse.

"this officer has acted according to proper police procedures"

thats all I can say for now, the rest is not fit for public consumption.

S&F

Parker
MTUBY

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i wish i was a police officer...i could break any law i want and still get paid or atleast not go to jail

funny how interchangable law is..
i go to jail for years for having a bit of weed, drawing on a wall or urinating on a statue
they get praised for shooting people
corporate slave drivers go unoticed

what is wrong with this world
edit on 30-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

To put more balance to the alleged assault issue.

From comments section.

"This is the typical news media. It only gives you half the story...... I know this officer and what I know about him is that he is probably one of the nicest people outside of work that you can meet. The part the media does not bring up is that he works in one of the most crime infested areas in Georgia and that where he works the people hate the police! Therefore, they often times violently resist those arrests. Additionally, he is a very hard working officer and along with having 20 times the number of uses of force of an average officer, he also has about 100 times more arrests than the average officer. Trust me, Clayton County Police Internal Affairs will hang you out to dry if they can. In all of these cases, they obviously found nothing that warranted disciplinary action. I am thankful that the police chief stood up for his officer"..

A first class officer by all acounts IMO.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

then why 500 complaints against him?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

I take it you have never mixed with people that are anti police, And as stated he has a clean conduct sheet, says alot considering he was investigated by his counties internal affairs (Think empire building there)..

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I say the officer, the chief, and the members of the internal investigation board all need to be given the option of resigning or being removed from office. Press the mayors office, if he sees his next election going out the window, he is going ensure they are removed and disciplined.

How does an internal investigation board find in the favor of an officer who beats a man who is unconscious in a diabetic coma, especially when its tagged that he suffers from this right on the driver side window that the officer smashed to get access to him?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/30/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

reply to post by foxhoundone

And how do you know that was not written by the officer himself, a friend, or a member of his family, as damage control. Obviously the fact that another officer quit the force over this mans actions speaks far greater volumes then anything that an anonymous person posted about him on the news site that is outing him.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/30/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Previous form on his profile sheet ? If the officer is familiar with the suspect. Did the man resist ? I know diabetics that can get very violent when the insulin runs down. just trying to balance things out here..

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I am NOT defending any wrong actions here, but I would like to point something out

We only have the statement of the guy that apparently was on the receiving end of the altercation that there was a diabetic coma..

Problem 1: I'm a diabetic, you don't just wake up from a diabetic coma, not even if you are being beaten.. If you go into a diabetic coma, without treatment the next step is death. It is a COMA, not a sleep..

Problem 2: We are assuming that because "he" says it, the statement of the diabetic is factual. I know many diabetics that drink, I'm one of them.

I can't comment on the other incidents, but we truly only have one side of this particular story

The "review board" mentioned sounds like a civilian review board and if so, I would tend to side toward them as they have no "dog in the fight" as it were

Semper extra DIV

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

reply to post by semperfortis

Please allow me to point out:

" The officer is reportedly so violent a fellow officer resigned in disgust, "sighting Hobbs' out-of-control behavior and racist remarks as the reason why."

His own peers have stated his actions are over the line.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
and yet people defend our Gestapo.At least in Vladivostok and Petropavlovsk ,police is very friendly and don't treat public like animals.But they tend to be easily bribed for traffic violations.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Than you Defcon!!!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone who is defending this cop actually bothered to read the article. It goes well beyond citizens filing complaints. Even another Officer filed a complaint and resigned rather than work another day with the suspect Officer. If that does not send up a red flag for some people, than quite frankly they are complete fools.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I got that, but let me ask you a question.

Have you ever supervised someone you had to let go? Has that person ever practiced what we call "Sour Grapes" in the supervisory business?

I agree that it adds to the allegations, I also agree that as a whole it looks bad for the officer, what I don't agree with is having one side of a story and then everyone playing judge, jury and executioner. ATS is supposed to "Deny Ignorance" and yet threads like this bring all the cop haters out in droves.

As an officer myself, and especially in the investigative and supervisory/management role I am in, it is incumbent on me to gather as much information as possible before making any kind of a determination, especially one concerning and life, health and future of another person. While I would not ever place that much of a burden on those that do not share my own values, I would hope that maybe, just maybe, one or two would hesitate to form a decision before hearing all sides to the story.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

You know that I am the first one to defend you guys when someone resists then cries foul. However, there seems to be lots of evidence standing against this officer, and his superiors. How does “sour grapes” come from an officers resignation? I can see it from an officer being fired, but not from one who resigns based on the other officers actions and racial remarks.

I am sorry, but I can see no way that an unconscious person can resist arrest, regardless of whether or not they are in a coma. Did you notice this snippet:

Hobbs forced himself into the car and struck Hoolihan twice with a closed fist to the face and another blunt elbow blow to his head.

Who made this report? Obviously not the defendant, because as he stated:

"He was out of control," said Hoolihan. "The next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance."

Which to me, says there were other witnesses at the scene who made those comments in the report, most likely the drivers who called the police to begin with. The defendant does not even remember being struck with an Asp, though he mentions he obviously was due to the marks left on his legs. Why would an officer use his Asp on an unconscious person?

Additionally, why would he arrest a security guard who was working in the performance of his paid duties for interference? I’d like to see the police report on that one as well.

I have a sneaking suspicious of what is going on with this officer from reading between the lines, but that is something I’ll keep to myself ATM.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Lots of assumptions here my friend

unconscious person can resist arrest

How do we know he was even unconscious? Because the news told us? Quite the leap for denying ignorance isn't it?

Who made this report? Obviously not the defendant, because as he stated:

Do you have proof the defendant did not tell this to the media?

Which to me, says there were other witnesses at the scene

Seriously???? Another leap...

I guess that due to my career, I deal in facts.. Not assumptions and that is all you have, assumptions..

Again!! I am not saying the officer is innocent, but in dealing with FACTS, I could never say he was guilty either unless I had an agenda, which I do not

Semper

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I personally think the guy's guilty from what I have read in this article.

If he isn't though his department should have him transferred to another city or department for his own good as well as their image.

If he is guilty, then as has been said, he and the people covering for him should be hung out to dry.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

This officer has 20 times the number of use of forces as anyone else on his department, including the other officers who work his “mean streets”. That doesn’t tell you anything?

My issue is that many officers feel its their “right” to have the positions that are granted to them as police officers, but in fact it’s a “privilege” that the public grants them. If there are enough outcries by that same public, then those rights need to be removed from that officer, as he is obviously abusing them in the eyes of the people. Police forces don’t like doing this because they invest money in that officers training.

If enough bad officers are removed due to poor public opinion, then we might begin to see a reversal of the problem that you have stated here before, where you believe that you only answer to your superiors, and not to the public in general. That way we will get back to police officers that “serve and protect” rather then “enforce the law”, and we will end up with officers who use common sense and restraint in their duties.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join