It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Science article from 1936 "How Will The World End?"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Our local symphany orchestra hosted "The Pale Blue Dot" symphany/video last winter. It was phenomenal!!!!! The video, the music, Carl Sagan's narration,....well, it blew me away!

It really helps to put into perspective how small we really are in the great scheme of things. It makes you realize how truly disheartening current events are...when we can't get along with our global neighbors; when we can't figure out a way to maintain a supportive, sustainable global economy; when we can't honor and care for Mother Earth.

We are but a mere speck in the Cosmos....'tis time we realized that, and learned how to play nice in our own backyard!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What about 1936 CA - Adonis?

Interesting articles! Thank you OP.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

It's the same Asteroid...I wonder if this is something we should be concerned about???

4 584 Anteros (Object Delporte = 1936 CA) [(2101) Adonis]

Source
edit on 28-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

It's the same Asteroid...I wonder if this is something we should be concerned about???

4 584 Anteros (Object Delporte = 1936 CA) [(2101) Adonis]

Source
edit on 28-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

Thank you! And naw, no worries about Adonis. It's something like a 72 year cycle and has already been back around since 1936. It's not on the Bad Boy list either, and that list uses the next 100 years.

It's just interesting to see the historical perspective - actually more like the History of NEOs reporting and such.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Haha, it swings around near the end of the Mayan calendar, that is, late 2012....

Duh Duh DUH!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I find it interesting that this thread has amassed 18 flags but still does not appear on the New-Picks: Newest flags column.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

No worries, the right people saw the thread....

My stuff always gets buried

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Really good post. I had no idea about planetoids being out there. They are not referenced today atall.

Seeing this article from 1936, wow, obviously very large bodies (planetoids) do come close by to the earth.

Amazing!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
People are people the world over and always have been. Nothing changes...

Nice find...ty

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

definition of a minor planet:

A minor planet is an astronomical object in direct orbit around the Sun that is neither a dominant planet nor a comet. The first minor planet discovered was Ceres in 1801. Since then, more than 200,000 minor planets have been discovered, most of them lying in the asteroid belt.

So... minor planets are continuously referenced in all areas of the media... a shooting star is/was a minor planet
edit on 29-9-2011 by lammypie999 because: added content

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Signals

Here is the planetoid that passed month's before!!!

Soooooo.... if that's the size of the "planetoid".... and Elenin is 4km across..... Does that make Elenin a planet and no longer a comet??

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Elenin WAS 4km across, its status still TBC.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This was 1936...

Planetiod = Asteriod

We just don't use that term these days.

Why are you going on about this when you can build your own portable wrist watch radio on page 57...

books.google.com...=onepage&q=end%20of%20world&f=false

edit on 29-9-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I bet if people knew back then that a planet was going to pass by earth that close, that they would have "end of the world/alien intelligence" theories about it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Hello: ATS

This is great information and am very happy that you posted this. I realize that we live in a multi demensional world (3-D). Being a Draftsman I work in 3 dimensoins all the time and it ocured to me that most telescopes look in the northern hemispher, not to many in the south that i know of. Countries like Africa, South America, so on do not have them in the numbers we have in the northern hemisphier, and yes the space telescopes can see in both, but we are talking about the majority of them that are actualy diligently studied are in the north. This leaves a huge % of the sky undetected.
Another thing stuck out as I read this thread, How many times have you heard of an astronomer talk about stars traveling towards or away from us? Most I ever hear about are their properties, and besides if one wer to be comming our direction at first wouldn't it look as if it wer stationary, or only seeming to creep up slowly? Then as it aproched it's speed would increase as gravity took over, besides we know Galxies collide all the time. Is it so far fetched to think that stars can also?
Great info and the fact this is such an old article makes it even better..You go Grandpa!

S&F

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Popular Science is junk. Maxim for pseudo-geeks.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard

reply to post by Signals

Soooooo.... if that's the size of the "planetoid".... and Elenin is 4km across..... Does that make Elenin a planet and no longer a comet??
is there something weird going on here?...or what? about the asteroid anteros. mentioned in the above article, that is dated from 1936...but in these links it's clearly stated that the asteroid anteros was discovered in 1973 !?!?!? > ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... earn.dlr.de...
edit on 29-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

nasa didn't exist in 1936, therefore they are speaking from the ass.

interesting article, in modern times it seams like nothing, especially since pluto was made a non-planet because its not big enough or whatever. but in comparison those asteroids are huge, it really gives a bit of perspective on how big elenin was/is/whatever, 4km is BIG even compared to giza, and it never struck me before to think of it like that.

I found that someone would call their child gaylord johnson vaguely amusing >_> you don't get names like that anymore either. please take no offence to this, it is not directed at any person.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by wWizard

reply to post by Signals

is there something weird going on here?...or what? about the asteroid anteros. mentioned in the above article, that is dated from 1936...but in these links it's clearly stated that the asteroid anteros was discovered in 1973 !?!?!? > ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... earn.dlr.de...
edit on 29-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)
this link says that large asteroids are also called planetoids, so asteroids and planetoids are the same thing > www.qrg.northwestern.edu... and the above 1936 article "clearly states" the asteroid/planetoid anteros...but the other link says it was discovered in 1973...how can this be???

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thanks to LightAssasin for the embed help!!

edit on 28-9-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

Anyone else catch this possible reference to the Tunguska event? Seems odd... maybe slipping that in there to reaffirm that event's "official story"
#tesla

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join