It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook tracks you even after logging out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Facebook tracks you even after logging out

www.smh.com.au

In alarming new revelations, Woollongong-based Nik Cubrilovic conducted tests, which revealed that when you log out of Facebook, rather than deleting its tracking cookies, the site merely modifies them, maintaining account information and other unique tokens that can be used to identify you.

Whenever you visit a web page that contains a Facebook button or widget, your browser is still sending details of your movements back to Facebook, Cubrilovic says.

Facebook's new Timelines feature creates a chronological scrapbook of major events in your life. Photo: AFP

"Even if you are logged out, Facebook still knows and can track every page you visit," Cubrilovic wrote in a blog post.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-9-2011 by Highlander64 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline
edit on 9/26/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
this is the world we have been waiting for folks

no privacy - not that we could be sure we ever had any to begin with

imagine what zuckerberg can sell your browsing history to internet marketers for?

of course, we have other motives besides money here,

like, surveillance

so glad I am not on facebook

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Indeed, Cubrilovic said he tried to contact Facebook to inform it but did not get a reply. He said there were significant risks to the privacy of users, particularly those using public terminals to access Facebook.

"Facebook are front-and-centre in the new privacy debate just as Microsoft were with security issues a decade ago," Cubrilovic said.

"The question is what it will take for Facebook to address privacy issues and to give their users the tools required to manage their privacy and to implement clear policies - not pages and pages of confusing legal documentation, and 'logout' not really meaning 'logout'."

The office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner has been approached for comment.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Every site you visit tracks where you have been.No surprise there.
Best thing you can do is delete the cookies from everything.
But,I bet there is more you can do to be more stealthy.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
No surprise. I used to work for a company that does A/B and multivariate website testing, needless to say their clients are the biggest companies in the world. There's URL tunnel technology that's pretty creepy, but the worst offender and legal are the cookies that websites store on you. You can't delete those cookies off their servers.

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Bye Bye facebook.

I'm tired of every time I turn around having to reset my privacy settings to protect my privacy.

Now this?

My family can pick up the phone and call me to get status updates...

... don't need facebook no more no more....

edit on 25-9-2011 by pianopraze because: smiley didn't work

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I'm this [--] close to deleting my account, especially with these new timeline features set to further open up responsible locked down profiles.

+59 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
Bye Bye facebook.

Before you delete your account, remember that Facebook never really actually delete your account.
They just render it inactive, but they keep the data about you.

So... before you remove yourself from facebook you have to at the very least upload false information. Tell them you're a 98 year old blind sheep herder from Uzbekistan with a fanatical interest in dust... or something.
Unless you are, in which case dont.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

Not surprising.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

wow not shocking but creepy
atleast i dont use facebook anymore.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Misconception.

The primary 'DELETE' option they provide does only INACTIVATE your account.

They have an actual DELETE account link buried on their site.
The catch with it is, you need to NOT sign in - like or do anything FB related for the next 14 days.
If you manage to stay away for two weeks, then your account will be deleted.

More info here;
www.facebook.com...
AND;
www.wikihow.com...

Follow the steps, and you should be all ok.

One thing I would like to agree with in what you said...
Over write all your personal information first.
That way, any archived page will contain that, and not your real information.

edit on 25/9/2011 by Sovaka because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It doesn't matter. Everything is tracked now. They know we come here. They know what we talk about.

Just like we're uncovering their secrets, they're uncovering ours. It doesn't matter really, all that matters is who will be standing at the end when SHTF.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by pianopraze
Bye Bye facebook.

Before you delete your account, remember that Facebook never really actually delete your account.
They just render it inactive, but they keep the data about you.

So... before you remove yourself from facebook you have to at the very least upload false information. Tell them you're a 98 year old blind sheep herder from Uzbekistan with a fanatical interest in dust... or something.
Unless you are, in which case dont.

excellent post

that will keep em guessing

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
And we know everything about them, don't we?

We know what they are capable of.

We know their world is crushing right before our eyes.

They will be the first to try DELETE themselves.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not surprising to me. I mean like when you first register for facebook why do you think they ask for who you father and mother are, where you live, your address, your mobile number, house number, siblings and relatives. I mean like it's so unbelievably obvious that this isn't any ordinary average dumb site. The site has intentions and if you own a facebook I advise everyone to not use real names and dont post any other information that is asked for. They don't need to know and it is rude to ask. I mean like would you tell a stranger all that information ? I would hope not.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by joshuaislord

Fear mongering.

Holy crap man... Put your tinfoil hat back on.
Yes the information they collect can be used for nefarious means.
But that information is there to connect you to family and friends.

However any information you enter on FB is completely VOLUNTARY.
It is NOT required.

You can use FB as much as you want without putting in a shred of personal information.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
read the EULA and understand the context,

not much else to say

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

but would you really want that information there for them to see when you know the true intentions of the site ? maybe you havnt done your research on who the site connects to. but I assure you i wouldnt post information on that site that is not necessary and most know that but there are many that still do cause they're lost.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by joshuaislord

The information posted on FB is provided freely by those who wish that information there.

I agree that the lack of transparency on FB's behalf on what they do with the information isn't allowing people to make an informed decision. But when has that stopped any large corporation.

My whole point is that you aren't required to make a FB account, if you do, you aren't required to post any personal information.
It is ENTIRELY up to those who wish to actually use FB and other social sites LIKE FB.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm not scared of them,I send them ALL my info.
Come get me ,if you dare.
My attack dogs will give me time to flee!!
Seriously,anything you post on the web is out there forever.
Believe me,I know first hand.
If you are so afraid of being found,first thing you do is,GET OFF THE INTERNET!
Next thing you do is,GET RID OF YOUR CELL PHONE!.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
the scary part is that they deliberately wrote code into facebook to run an ap in the background on your computer to follow your browsing actitivy

so its not just what you write on facebook, its the rest of the sites as well - what CAN'T they access anymore?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join