It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are Catholic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You are indeed Catholic, and heres why. The word catholic (derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), meaning "universal"[1][2]) comes from the Greek phrase καθόλου (kath'holou), meaning "on the whole," "according to the whole" or "in general", and is a combination of the Greek words κατά meaning "about" and όλος meaning "whole".[3][4] The word in English can mean either "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing" everyone. All walks of life.

Bahá'í Faith · Christianity (Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Protestanism) · Druze · Islam (Sunni, Shia, Sufi) · Judaism (Conservative, Karaite, Orthodox, Reform) · Mandaeism
Indian Ayyavazhi · Buddhism (Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana) · Hinduism (Shaktism, Shaivism, Smartism, Vaishnavism) · Jainism · Sikhism
Iranian Ahl-e Haqq · Bahá'í Faith · Manichaeism · Mazdak · Mithraism · Yazidi · Zoroastrianism (Zurvanism) East Asian Confucianism · Shinto · Taoism · Zen
Yoruba Aladura · Candomblé · Santería · Umbanda
Recent Cao Dai · Cheondoism · Discordianism · Eckankar · I-Kuan Tao · Neopaganism · New Age · Rastafari · Scientology · Seicho-no-Ie · Tenrikyo · Thelema · New Thought · Unitarian Universalism
Indigenous African · Afro-American · Indigenous Australian · Chinese · Finnish-Estonian · Gurung · Javanese · Malagasy · Native American · Odinani · Philippine · Tibetan (Bön) · Polynesian · Vodou
Ancient religions
Prehistoric Paleolithic Near East Egyptian · Mesopotamian · Semitic
Indo-European Celtic · Germanic · Greek (Gnosticism · Neoplatonism) · Illyro-thracian · Mithraism · Roman · Slavic · Vedic Hinduism
Turkic Tengriism.

We are all Catholic. The rest is all religion.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

words have meaning beyond just there original source, we don't speak these ancient language, so no we are not catholic as that is not the English meaning to the word.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Nope
Can't say that I am.
I'm just a person.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The word in English can mean either "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing" everyone. All walks of life.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
it's a stretch but the thread is all encompassing by nature so to summarise,,
In other words all religions are essentially pantheism based on universal Dharma observed from naturalistic timeless principles, such as Ashta Sheel (universal loving morality ~ right conduct)

edit on 21/9/2011 by EmeraldGreen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

If I was a stone mason that would not make me a Free Mason.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EmeraldGreen

bro , your looking into it a little deep. All Im saying is that the word catholic means everyone.why does everyone feel the need to twist this fundamental truth? Just accept it and move on. Your Catholic!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm Atheist, I believe in nothing other than aliens and myself.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
thanks for the info by the way, i find this very interesting. Both of my step parents are / were from very strict catholic families, whereas both my real parents are atheist.... let's just say I feel violated
(NOT SEXUALLY!) by their pathetic obsessions about other humans behaviour , essentially based on fear based thinking & as it happens VERY far from Dharma because of the tendency to sniff out the inner thoughts & desires of other peoples monkey minds..... which causes them to have monkey minds but of course they adamantly refuse to acknowledge this...
stupid soulless indoctrinating belief systems!!!
sorry to derail abit like this lol.... perhaps we can share insights about the global catholic conspiracy in this thread if this is something you would like to discuss??

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

1. all-inclusive: including or concerned with all people 2. useful to all: useful or interesting to a wide range of people 3. all-embracing: interested in or sympathetic to a wide range of things

all embracing?.....concerned with all?people?.....sympathetic?......Yikes.....even the dictionary lies
....sheesh

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I know !!!

But, excuse me one moment, how is what I have said twisting what you have said!? I have said we are all universally ONE & You have said we are all universally Catholic... enlighten me

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I suspect you already know this OP. But it's not about literal meanings. It's about what that word has come to mean to many people. Some folks aren't going to take kindly to being called catholic no matter how harmless the word itself is.

It comes down to what it stands for to each one of us.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Believe it or not, you my friend are Catholic.
enjoy

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
and all this time, I thought I was a Cantaloupe.
Or an eggplant.

Movie references aside.

The best I can offer is that there is a good chance that Catholics (converted Romans, and various converted heathens) were instrumental in lifting us out of the so-called Dark ages. But it wasn't pretty.

So I could be Catholic for a day....Which is confession day?, or is that any time?
edit on 21-9-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Believe it or not, you my friend are Catholic.
enjoy

Strange, to be so hung up on a word that has lost it's original meaning.

Language has moved on. It evolves.

What is your point?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
You are indeed Catholic,

I know you are but what am I?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I'm not catholic because, by the definition you gave, I would have to be a universal being. I'm not.

I think where you're confused is that the church can be catholic (i.e. universal), but a person cannot.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

actually nothing in the universe is not universal

the universe is catholic by definition lol

"I know you are but what am I?"
.... Somalian?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

The word catholic does mean universal or all encompassing – no problem there
So a catholic >religion< would be a universal or all encompassing religion

So someone who is not religious cannot be part of that encompassing religion

Also I have a universal (catholic) power supply – but my other power supply’s are not universal (catholic) they are power supply’s of their own sort

in other words the holy roman catholic church can call its self what it like’s but people who are not in the holy roman catholic church are not bound by its definitions of its self

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
No; you are arguing everyone is catholic, but not Catholic. When Catholic is capitalized, it refers to the religion. When catholic is not capitalized, it means universal. So your thread title is wrong, actually...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join