It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sex strike' success in Philippine village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So....maybe these ladies have discovered the true path to world peace.

Women in the southern Philippines brought peace to their strife-torn village by threatening to withhold sex if their men kept fighting, the UN refugee agency reported Friday.

The "sex strike" in rural Dado village on the often lawless southern island of Mindanao in July helped end tensions and bring some prosperity to the 102 families living there, said UNHCR national officer Rico Salcedo.
"The area is in a town which is subject to conflict, family feuds, land disputes. The idea came personally from the women," Salcedo told AFP.

The idea was conceived by a group of women who had set up a sewing business but found that they could not deliver their products because the village road was closed by the threat of violence, Salcedo said.

No peace, no piece. (sorry....had to be said.)
Let's go...put on those peace signs and cross those legs. Who is in? or...(never mind) Ha.

Source

edit on 16-9-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Life imitating art?

Lysistrata
en.wikipedia.org...

Lysistrata (UK: /laɪˈsɪstrətə/, US: /ˌlɪsɨˈstrɑːtə/; Attic Greek: Λυσιστράτη "Army-disbander") is one of eleven surviving plays written by Aristophanes. Originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC, it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual gratification from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy that, consequently, inflames the battle between the sexes. The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual politics in a male-dominated society.

One of the few surviving examples of Old Comedy, the dramatic structure employed in Lysistrata represents a departure from conventions that organize Aristophanes' earlier plays. In particular the absence of a formal parabasis, or choral ode, and the informality of debate during the agon draw attention to the absurdity of a classical woman engaging in public debate.[3]

Aristophanes' Thesmophoriazusae, another play focused on women transgressing the boundaries of the hearth (oikos) to participate in the political arena, premiered in the same year. Close on the heels of Athens' catastrophic defeat in the Sicilian Expedition of 413 BC, these plays exemplify Aristophanes' marked talent for satirizing contemporary society, politics, literature, and the Peloponnesian War.

edit on 16-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thought this sounded familiar.

Looks like the ancient Greeks were on to something.

Lysistrata

Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual gratification from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy that, consequently, inflames the battle between the sexes. The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual politics in a male-dominated society.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I bet the man there are faithful to there partners, it's a different story in the western world, I guess...

What a way to go...

edit on 16-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
we need to keep these kind of stories hush hush ..

last thing we need is these sort of events rise up for non war time use ...

you know .. when you don't do something she wants

when she had a rough day

when she feels like you dont deserve it lol

yes for war sure great .. but lets hope they don't make a habbit of it for other more selfish reasons lol

love u women and sex ! poor animals don't get to get down and freaky like we can with so many differnt enhancements !

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
I bet the man there are faithful to there partners, it's a different story in the western world, I guess...

edit on 16-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

Not true...

husbands pimp out there wives to foreigners as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Okay I wasn't serious, on that one....

But thanks all the same.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Manners and decorum???

What i said was true...being deprived of sex will NOT stop the fighting. It will probably make it worse.
There are plenty of verses in the Koran that advocate the use of rape....these are facts mods

Women may come up shy in Paradise, but they get more than their fair share in Hell. Bukhari’s Hadith (Traditions) records over twenty times how the majority of those in Hell will be women. Why are these women in Hell? Murder? Theft? Lying? Cheating? No, the answer is that they were not grateful to their husband. They were not submissive enough. In the same hadith, Mohammed says that women are not as smart as men. That is the reason why it takes two women to equal the testimony of one man. By that formula, a woman is half as smart as a man. The final part of this hadith also assures us that women are spiritually inferior to men because they can’t pray when having their period. Again, this is a manifestation of submission. Women must submit to men in all things including intelligence and spirituality for the doctrine of Islam declares men are superior in all things, in heaven and on earth, and women are inferior.

Koran 4:34 says that if a wife is not submissive, first admonish them and remind them that Allah wants them to submit. If they don’t submit then use social pressure by ignoring them and not having sex. If that doesn’t work, then beat them (lightly).

wikiislam.net...

(The two texts from above are not from the source...highlight and search google for sources)

So....this will not work...women arent people (according to the koran)....if they deny you sex, you are allowed to take it without their consent.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
Life imitating art?

Lysistrata
en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for that reminder. I had forgotten all about this play - having actually seen it in college. That was more than a few moons ago.

It figures that a "man" would write that this conspiracy to withhold certain favors for peace didn't work. Now we know...it was all a coverup.
Strikes DO work. The power of knowledge....can make you downright....

(Soup Nazi voice) No sex for you....and you....and you.

Peace or else.....

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

good ol' peaceful islam

it makes sense. what do you promise to desert nomads so that they will fight for you? maslow's hierarchy dictates that basic needs must be met before progress can be made. sex is one of those needs.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

What a load of Sh**! When will women learn that men do not care if they withhold sex. There are plenty of women out there and the punishment of withholding sex no longer carries any weight.

Lets look at the reality - Men on average age better than women, once a women hits mid thirties everything is down hill. Where as a man of 50 or even 60 (with a little cash) can still get a nice younger girl. NO one (except weird sexual pervs) wants an old used and worn woman, who carries on like she can strut her stuff and withhold sex. Women used to carry that power, the withhold sex power, when men were whipped and thick as crap.

But now, obtaining sexual favors is as common and easy as brushing your teeth. Hit a bar, a brothel, call over a nice hooker and plough the brains out of her in the room next to your wife who is withholding sex. Chat up her sister or even her mum. That also piss** them off.

Let them withhold sex, and as we can withhold money, no mortgage, no clothes from designer shops, no jewelry, no make-up (except the crap that you get in department stores or pharmacies), no social outings. See MEN can do stuff too. These women are sewers so lets face it hardly rolling in cash. Oh one more, NO diet pills and spa trips.

Lets face it, men get bored, this should come as a relief for some of those men.

Behind every woman there is a man tired of banging her!

edit on 16-9-2011 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

You sound....frustrated. Sorry for your troubles. I disagree and I'm sure some others might as well, but we are all entitled to an opinion. I do hope you find....peace and that time can soften whatever hurt seems to have left you disillusioned with the female persuasion.

I had hoped this could be a fresh and light-hearted look at a unique approach to finding peace that appears, based on the story, to show success. Be well and do good things.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
reply to post by Six6Six

You sound....frustrated. Sorry for your troubles. I disagree and I'm sure some others might as well, but we are all entitled to an opinion. I do hope you find....peace and that time can soften whatever hurt seems to have left you disillusioned with the female persuasion.

I had hoped this could be a fresh and light-hearted look at a unique approach to finding peace that appears, based on the story, to show success. Be well and do good things.

Im not frustrated, Im just not impressed by the game of sex. Sex is no longer a weapon except in the world of the ugly person. Sex nowadays is so easily obtained in every form that now its so abundant its value drops. Like gold.

I am just stating that womens tricks of the past are now useless. Like when a women wants a baby, she has a cut of age of around 35 before the risk of down syndrome in the baby is a greater risk. So she knows she has limited time. Now if men were that evil like women we would use that against women and make sure we wrap it up at all costs until she behaves herself. Its just a game by women. Very pathetic and pointless now.

If you don't understand that then all I hear is FEMINIST! I just do not agree in men and woman playing games and using emotional or physical deterrents to gain ground. Someone always gets hurt, and normally its the woman because men resort to dumb acts. Like having two hookers at once instead of just the one.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Manners and decorum???

What i said was true...being deprived of sex will NOT stop the fighting. It will probably make it worse.
There are plenty of verses in the Koran that advocate the use of rape....these are facts mods

Women may come up shy in Paradise, but they get more than their fair share in Hell. Bukhari’s Hadith (Traditions) records over twenty times how the majority of those in Hell will be women. Why are these women in Hell? Murder? Theft? Lying? Cheating? No, the answer is that they were not grateful to their husband. They were not submissive enough. In the same hadith, Mohammed says that women are not as smart as men. That is the reason why it takes two women to equal the testimony of one man. By that formula, a woman is half as smart as a man. The final part of this hadith also assures us that women are spiritually inferior to men because they can’t pray when having their period. Again, this is a manifestation of submission. Women must submit to men in all things including intelligence and spirituality for the doctrine of Islam declares men are superior in all things, in heaven and on earth, and women are inferior.

Koran 4:34 says that if a wife is not submissive, first admonish them and remind them that Allah wants them to submit. If they don’t submit then use social pressure by ignoring them and not having sex. If that doesn’t work, then beat them (lightly).

wikiislam.net...

(The two texts from above are not from the source...highlight and search google for sources)

So....this will not work...women arent people (according to the koran)....if they deny you sex, you are allowed to take it without their consent.

Well, that explains this photo.

If I recall correctly, there are many muslims in that country.
How sad.
Of course, war is very sad as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six
I just do not agree in men and woman playing games and using emotional or physical deterrents to gain ground. Someone always gets hurt, and normally its the woman because men resort to dumb acts. Like having two hookers at once instead of just the one.

Sadly, weapons of mass destruction are also considered deterrents. Conflict and war cause hurt...and death. Some of us women have been or are mothers of soldiers who are left to fight when peace is lost.

These women found a peaceful way to deter conflict and induce greater prosperity. I find their methods preferable to other more common approaches...like bombs....which don't seem to be working.
May you find a woman worthy of more than gold....and may you treat her as such.

Peace and night all.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I do know how to feel about this. On the one hand the locals men of that region where acting like idiots, on the other hand I cannot endorse domestic violence(withholding sex as a form of coercion alone[a partner using sex as a bargaining chip instead of as an emotional interaction)is a form of emotional abuse).

Those women should be ashamed of themselves and should be thrown in jail for prostitution. What they should of done was say "end the BS or we will file for divorce". That would be acceptable and honorable. Either way I doubt the OP would be singing the same tune if guy's demanded their wives stopped buying designer label stuff from sweat shops overseas by cutting them off financially.

This whole girl power female supremacy hurraying going around is only going to backfire big time soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Quite the contrary. I would sing the exact same tune. Designer labels rank near irrelevant - as does the withholding of sex, when it comes to leverage and taking a stand against violence as the way to resolve any conflict.

In fact, women whose men are engaged in violence as the means to solve family and community fueds should understand, the last thing their actions do is inspire intimacy.

Death by violence is so much more important an issue than whether people had sex any given week that is would seem a small sacrifice for the women and should be as irrelevant to the men. Sooner or later, we have to decide what kind of society we want to live in. How do we want our children to learn to solve their problems. No withholding sex is not the optimal solution, but honestly in comparison to violence and death as a method to deal with problems - it seems completely benign in contrast.

Your comments far over-rate the importance a lot of women would place on designer labels and sex when compared to the danger placed on our children and our families by violence. Sex is not a basic need. Food, shelter and clothing are.

Thanks for your thoughts though and to others for weighing in. It's good to know that, for some, sex seems like a hot topic and one worthy of outrage even though I couldn't disagree more. I don't find it worthy of the same level of indignation and outrage if withheld. My children's lives are far more valuable. If that's what works to end the violence, as this case says it did, so be it.

edit on 20-9-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join