It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 people KILLED by illegal file sharing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Last month a stage collapsed at the Belgium music festival Pukkelpop killiing 5 people and injuring others,

Today the festivals insurance company released a statement as to what they think caused the accident, and suprisingly it wasnt a large storm as everyone had previously though, It was File Sharing

Here's the insurance companies' reasoning: Illegal file-sharing has led to fewer CD sales. Fewer CD sales have forced artists, managers and labels to emphasize the live music experience--including festivals, of course--to make up for the lost revenue. Emphasizing live gigs attracts people. And should a thunderstorm strike, those people risk being killed or injured.

link

Has anyone got any further links to this, or perhaps to the original statement? At this point im not sure if I believe it or not, it just seems to stupid
edit on 16-9-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
how pathetic they are just trying to put the blame on file sharing because that is the music industries enemy.

the stage hands and grips who built the stage might be at fault.

I think more than likely the concert should have been delayed strong winds thunder and lighting pounding on a mobile stage doesn't seem like the most desirable conditions for a concert.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That's ridiculous.

We may as well say that any motor vehicle crash fatality within certain proximity to a super market was a death caused by hunger since one could superficially assume the deceased was in the vicinity of the supermarket to purchase food to satisfy hunger.

Perhaps we take it step further into madness and discover a television in the deceased individuals home. It was those evil corporations and their brainwashing junk-food commercials that killed this individual!

What absurd tripe.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
oh my what will they come up with next???? they are definitely on the verge of insanity produced by greed and megalomania. I mean, it's not like the artists get any money from their CD sales!!!!! The labels get most of it, and bands have always made their main earnings from live gigs and merchandise sales at those live gigs.This was a big scandal in the 90s, do some googling for it (just in case you were so young back then that you didn't know of it) thx for the post : )

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ummm .... what?

Ok this is really insane. First of all, artists are always interested in live gigs because the artists make the money from this (not the record companies) and of course playing live is a blast!

I too would be interested in additional links / or original source because it just seems ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Interesting, I however blame Britney Spears and Justin Bieber for putting out crappy songs and forcing people to see live music that doesn't suck. But I like their way of thinking.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So if I have a muffin for breakfast and then get hit by traffic, does that mean I was killed by a muffin?

Total fallacy.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I hate insurance companies! They'll pull out any reason to not pay a claim. Then, there's the deductable. Deductables are just another form of robbery. If I've been paying on my auto insurance for five years and haven't used a penny of the insurance, why do I have to pay more to use the services I've been paying for all along?!? It's a racket.

I'm glad I grew up in a time when you didn't have to wear bicycle helmets and seat belts -- and insurance was cheaper. How's that work again?

Sorry for the rant.... good thread.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

pathetic..

everyone knows recording artists do not make but a very small percentage of record sales & get most of their revenue from concert ticket sales...

file sharing is just free artist advertising...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Are you kidding me?! This is silly!

What a complete cop out and excuse! File sharing has nothing to do with people wanting to go to concerts lol.

People have been going to concerts for years and I I dont see any starving artist. These music companies are so damn greedy!

File sharing is beneficial to them but they dont see it that way, it's all about money. I have bought many CDs because I downloaded a couple songs from the album and decided it was worth having. I am sure many other people have done the same thing.

I can't believe they blaming file sharing...WOW.

Here is an idea, maybe celebs should stop wasting MILLIONS on pointless music videos. Those always seemed like a waste.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Everyone knows that musicians prefer playing to live audiences vs recording in a dank studio ANYDAY.

Of course this is what the Insurance Company will say...after receiving payola from the recording industry to say it ....

What they should say is that CD's cost way too much for their young fans who are working at minimum wage and would require them to work a full day to earn the wages (after taxes) to purchase a music CD.

And this is most likely why many opt to download music instead.

Welcome to the information age !!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I would really like to find out who the insurer is, I certainly would not want my home to be insured with them.

"I am sorry sir but it is not our problem that your home went on fire, it is the fire brigades, if there was no fire service there would not have been a fire"

Makes about as much sense

I think I am going to have a nosebleed now at the sheer stupidity of the insurance adjusters logic.

edit on 16-9-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Wow, quite a stretch that insurance company is trying to make. How despicable! I'm so pissed

I spit on all insurance companies. Evil, greedy, corrupt, lying, bastards!

link   

So, if the victims had illegal downloads on their computers, would it be considered suicide?

link   
what's the casualty rate for not seeding?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemiDamaged

So, if the victims had illegal downloads on their computers, would it be considered suicide?

Maybe homicide, if it was taken from someone else computer?

Hey, therefore, by default, the original source is to blame. THE RECORD COMPANIES!

edit on 16-9-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Hillarious in the saddest way possible. I'm speechless.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

That's gotta be a piss-take man...

:shk:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

i dont think this is a real news headline article. Secondally theres no nothing wrong on music file sharing for those who cant afford to buy the least new CDs. i doubt 5 people were killed by illegal file sharing.

Wheres the proof?
edit on 16-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Outdoor music festivals have been going on since way before there was even any files to illegally or legally share, often completely free.

That insurance company is pathetic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join