It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vote === > veto . Where is democrosy and freedom.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Maybe you know that UN is going to vote for Palestinian statehood in Sept. 23rd.

Some people predict that US will veto. I thought about veto and on the other side , What American govt is claiming about Human right and Democracy.

I have a simple question that is unanswered :
Where is the democracy that you are talking about ?

I don't see that you are abiding other nations opinion. You listen to the idea being discuses in UN , then if you don't like it , you just veto. You don't bother thinking about other nation's opinion. you just push the delete button.
a) : Then we don't have real democracy in the world

People who are running for president , should sign papers to cooperate with Israel , to get financial support.
b) :people in US don't have real democracy.

conclusion from a and b

I think that maybe democracy has got some boundaries , and Israel is one of the boundaries.

Why is that ?
edit on 16/9/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Alright.

I didn't know that it is going to be discussed in General Assembly .

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Perhaps you know more than me, but I don't think the UN is supposed to be a democracy.

In any event, the US can't veto what's going to happen to Palestine anyway. It's not going to the Security Council, but to the entire General Assembly. The Palestinians want the General Assembly to vote on it becoming a recognized member of the UN. The US is just going to vote no; and just like in an election, it's majority rules. The majority of the nations in the UN are probably going to vote yes, and the UN will recognize Palestine as a state.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

You state that the UN isn't a democracy and then explain how recognition of Palestinian statehood will be voted upon by the UN General Assembly and decided by majority vote; isn't that the very essence of democracy?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

What about America's right to veto ?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

No-one has the 'power of veto' in General Assembly votes....the USA, UK, France, China and Russia can veto any resolution of the UN Security Council.

new topics

top topics

join