It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help from ANYONE west of orlando FL. right now....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i was just outside grillin dinner as the sun was setting. It is not that often we get to see it because there are usually lots of clouds but today was clear and beautiful. As the sun set it became a wonderful glowing orb that you could view with the naked eye without hurting yourself.

So, anyway as it approached the horizon my neice asked me "what is that spot on the sun?" at first i couldnt make it out but then i saw it too (no my eyes dont have hot pixels). At first i thought maybe a small cloud or a plane but as the sun set it stayed in the same position relative to the sun.

i took some pictures with my 5mp smart phone cam but they dont tell the whole story, ill try to DL them for you all after i eat cuz my food is getting cold as i type but i was curious if anyone else wold be able to see this as we did and maybe get a better pic but more importantly identify what it was(if anything).

Was it a planet or a satellite or what?, and if so which one. I ask mostly because i told my neice that i had a way of finding out these things, thanks in advance

edit on 13-9-2011 by RadicalRebel because: spellin

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Maybe it was Venus or Mercury, looking forward to the photos

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Yes Venus is in place for this. But I wonder if it would be visible or overtaken by the Sun

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

The spot could have been the MASSIVE sunspot on the surface of the earthside!

spaceweather.com...

Also, here's another example!
sky7weather.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
mmm...
I don't think neither a planet nor a sunspot can be seen this way.
I'd place my bet on some wierdo atmospheric effect...
But I cannot tell exactly *what* could be seen as a static spot in the sun.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Bring on the Comet Elenin posters.

Surely they can somehow connect this to it!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

hey thanks for those links, that second one you gave looked almost exactly like what i saw but in a different position, the sun seemed that big too it was great, i havent seen a good sunset like that in a while.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have seen sun spots on the sun,filtered through some clouds and sunglasses.It was an active period,late 70's early 80's I think.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
im guessing what you saw was a sunspot 1289 as seen on this website.
www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
. Sorry I missed it!
Are you at your dads?
You shoulda called.
Probably Elenin.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
Bring on the Comet Elenin posters.

Surely they can somehow connect this to it!

Um, I'm with the Comet Elenin Group.
It's probably a sunspot.
I don't think I can connect it to Elenin.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

hehe....they are lining up as we speak

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2acbe6b03752.png[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
. Sorry I missed it!
Are you at your dads?
You shoulda called.
Probably Elenin.

lolz

I thought it at first but i pay too much attention to Elenin and know it isnt
but all call later, maybe you can help me dl these pics because i cant figure it out

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by freedom12

hehe....they are lining up as we speak

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2acbe6b03752.png[/atsimg]
Love that.
. Isn't it great that most are keeping an eye in the sky.
I'm more concerned about the noise at night...iron gates slaming shut, etc but that's off topic and on another thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'll go with a sunspot or a distant contrail of a jet flying away from you. It's possible a high flying jet could fade out of the distance with the curvature of the earth at seemingly the same time as the sun sets.

Even with the best telescopes on earth, a comet cannot be seen if it traverses in front of the sun, this is one of the basic reasons that astronomers surmise that comets must have less than a 50 miles diameter in any direction. I know that's a rather vague unit of measurement but it is taken from accounts, and for it to occur the comets observed would not be very close to earth during such a interposition.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
sunspot

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

i get wat yur sayin about the perspective of the contrail seeming like a spot in the view of the sun but could it stay within the same position of the sun as it sets? It also was very dark and distinguished like the pics in the links that others have provided so im going with sunspot too

Gonna have t w8 till i get home to link my phone to my cmputer to DL but i will, i promise.

Still wondering if anyone on the west coast or in a similar position will see or get to see this and maybe take aditnal pics.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Nibiru.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadicalRebel
reply to post by Mapkar

hey thanks for those links, that second one you gave looked almost exactly like what i saw but in a different position, the sun seemed that big too it was great, i havent seen a good sunset like that in a while.

The orientation of the sunspot in reference to the first one is differently viewed from our general location since the satellite is oriented slightly different from our own. I haven't had the opportunity to see a sunspot at sunset yet, I'm glad you did though!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

sry i dont know how to size it for posts but this is the best one i took and as i said it really doesnt do the scene any justice.
The camera just couldnt pic up the details from within the sun as i saw them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join