It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of poor hit record 46 million in 2010 (in USA)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I have recently been in your shoes. I was injured at work, next day given a write up, following day was let go. The employer asked me a question: Do you think the injury happened at work? I said "Yes." So they tell the workers' compensation people that I did not know where I was injured. As a result, the insurance denied me. Thankfully we have medicaid and I was able to get badly needed surgery. Too bad the tax payers have to pay for it, but maybe they should put more regulations on insurance companies to force them to pay for injuries.

In talking to my attorney he is sees insurance fraud everyday. He catches employees of employers lying about an accident for their employer. Another attorney said that he worked for these insurance companies and couldn't handle it anymore. They would simply deny claims knowing the employee would have a long fight on their hands to get a nickle from them. It is a terrible system we have. Where deception is rewarded over truth and doing what is right.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

It couldn't have anything to do with paying select people a million dollars a month?

oh you mean all those millionaire congressman who writes the laws and policies of this country

The fact that the private sector swindled and misappropriated Trillions

cant get any more private sector than congressman who have "misppropriated trillions"

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

They would simply deny claims knowing the employee would have a long fight on their hands to get a nickle from them. It is a terrible system we have. Where deception is rewarded over truth and doing what is right.

This is exactly the systemic corruption and practice that has and will completely destroy America.

Too many stupid Americas, are too stupid to comprehend that corporate business works very hard
to stiff Americans, to shirk responsibility, it is a business within a business.

This is where I feel a Kamikaze loathing for our corporatist foot soldiers here, they cheer on and defend the
most defining and vomitous corruption that can be exercised.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Your concerns are understandable. Rand Paul in my mind seems way apart from his father, so we agree there. I also am not a huge fan of state government doing anything they would like. In our nations founding though people were able to petition the third branch of the government (the judicial branch) for review on any given law. It did not take millions of dollars to do so. I would argue that restoring the judicial branch to its true role of monitoring the other two branches of government would solve this problem. It should not take millions of dollars in legal fees to get a review of a law that affects you personally. Additionally, there has been a lot of talk that judges are not supposed to make law, but they did have an appropriate power of interpreting law. The interpretation of law by judges was supposed to reflect the needs and pulse of society, and a judge seeing that society had changed its stance could rightfully strike down a law in its interpretation and declare it functionally void.

There are so many facets to the problems we face, the only real solution is to scrap anything that is not benefiting people and rebuild it with that focus. How to do that is anyone's guess, but I do know it will take an honest person with a commitment to the people to do so.

Your last comment is the meat of your message, number one, I am not sure there are very many honest people left, and now that corporations are people, what good does that commitment do?

That being said, I do believe Ron Paul was probably the most honest person on the stage, and I should not hold his son against him. But you have to admit, to hear people cheering for an uninsured person to die, had to turn your head.

There are folks on this site that just wish all of the poor people would die, they would love to end welfare, subsidized housing, medical care, social security etc, and they claim to be Christians. This stuff honestly angers me, and makes me feel like I live in a 3rd world country. We are the most prosperous country in the world, and don't want to take care of our weakest members, that attitude should make us all feel proud.

Fraud exists, I will freely admit that, we need to end the fraud on SS, Medicare, and Medicaid, but I think if fraud was ended in DOD it would provide bigger savings. I was Military for 7 years, and sold to the Gov't for 3 after that, yeah the fraud needs to end, but then again, it has made Cheney rich beyond belief.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Yeah I know there are some die hard conservatives that would claim to watch someone die in front of them, because it is not their responsibility. I consider these people not even worthy of any attention, because if they were near death laying in front of me I would do anything. And truth be known, they would probably do something to but they want to deny their own humanity. If they had to chose between being homeless with their kids and filling out a form to get assistance, they too would fill out the form. They may not like it, that is one thing, but they will be thankful in our great country we can have a small safety net to catch us when we fall down. Besides if they go homeless with kids, the taxpayer will be responsible for when we take their kids from them. So giving them a little to stay with their family instead of taking their children is a better option.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I have lived in many mixed neighborhoods, have friends of all races, religions, and ethnicities. When Rand Paul suggested that we do away with the civil rights act, I closed up and in my mind, seriously hold that against Ron Paul. It is probably in no way right, but I can not get past it. I do not believe Ron Paul to be electable, at least as a Republican, I am not sure he would not draw big votes as an independent.

That is not what he said you are using a supposition and that was a case of an interviewer putting words in his mouth if you disagree please supply the source of your evidence. I looked into those allegations and found what the real story was. Perhaps you should look into it some more and just deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Double post error
edit on 13-9-2011 by Shirak because: Double post

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yeah I know there are some die hard conservatives that would claim to watch someone die in front of them, because it is not their responsibility. I consider these people not even worthy of any attention, because if they were near death laying in front of me I would do anything. And truth be known, they would probably do something to but they want to deny their own humanity. If they had to chose between being homeless with their kids and filling out a form to get assistance, they too would fill out the form. They may not like it, that is one thing, but they will be thankful in our great country we can have a small safety net to catch us when we fall down. Besides if they go homeless with kids, the taxpayer will be responsible for when we take their kids from them. So giving them a little to stay with their family instead of taking their children is a better option.

That is a pretty powerful statement coming from a Ron Paul supporter. On the other hand, I honestly believe, there are many that wouldn't do a thing, and this is what scares me. I am not a religious person, lean pretty far left on social issues, but pretty far right on fiscal issues. I will disclose my beliefs by saying "Do what you will, but harm ye none".

There are so many doors to fraud that need to be closed, and yeah, we are going to catch some innocents. We need to get away from activist judges, there are just some things the government should not be involved in, and my wife's uterus is one of them. The GOP at this point, doesn't want anyone in there business, but they want to be in everyone's bedroom.

There are answers, real answers to what ails this country, however the answers are not going to come from the fringe, either right or left, the answers are going to come from the middle, where compromise is not a four letter word.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

I deny ignorance everyday, and this will be one of those times. Rand Paul said that he did not believe in portions of the 1964 civil rights act. It was pretty straight forward on the clips I saw, in addition to that, his father has publically claimed he would have not have voted for it, it should be left to the states. Yeah in MO we have to sell to blacks, aisians, mexicans, etc, but hey if we move to KS we only HAVE to sell to WHITE folks. Yeah that states rights thing worked our real well in the 1850's and 60's.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Today, after another layoff, the savings is exhausted, and left with no alternative I readily accept food assistance and any other assistance I can get. 46 Million people are not lazy people. They are products of a system that has rejected them as unworthy. Most of those people have worked all their lives and given the opportunity would continue to work. It is degrading being unemployed. Even more degrading when other Americans hyped with their own sense of self worth will trample verbally on those less fortunate.

I hope things turn around for you...and for BubbaJoe. Don't feel degraded...you have to do what you have to do. Fact is, people like Neo would do exactly the same....we all would. Kids have to be fed and a roof has to be over their heads. I've been on unemployment before (because of outsourcing and free trade) and I felt horrible about it as well...felt like a bum...even though I was putting out endless resumes and making phone calls everyday.

Man I'll never forget the day the company I worked for announced they were relocating to Mexico. Not long after they sent Mexicans up from Mexico for us to train who couldn't speak English. I had to train the guys taking my job. Needless to say, i didn't do a very good job of it. I don't blame those people....they are most likely doing what they have to do to survive...but unfortunately many of my fellow coworkers didn't see things that way.

they blamed the mexicans for their loss of jobs...but that's not who they should have been blaming. it should have been the CEO and shareholders of the company that wanted a boost in their stocks on a company that was already profitable and successful.

But that is the nature of the beast nowadays.....long ago...companies and their workers in the US would fight for tariffs on cheap imports to protect their jobs and company....that no longer happens. Corporations bailed on us and pushed our politicians into passing the laws to help make the loss of jobs, benefits, and wages happen.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I totally expect this to rise.Maybe double. Shovel ready jobs,will be burying the dead.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I totally expect this to rise.Maybe double. Shovel ready jobs,will be burying the dead.

Certainly hope it doesn't come to that...cripes. Just have to wonder how long it's going to take till people get to the point where they have finally had enough.

46 million....that's 1 of 6 Americans. insane.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The way its looking,unemployment,more wars,crop failures,climate changing,etc......yeah,unfortunately,I see it coming. Not doom and gloom,just a cycle of change.That old saying,its got to get worse,before it gets better. The Government is still calling it a recession.
really?????????????

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

The bottom is likely to fall out soon as we hit the second part of the double dip. Things seem to be at about where they were before the economy tanked initially in 2008. Gas prices were too high for too long and boom. It's happening again, only this time everything else has spiked along with it...but wages have been stagnant and those who have lost jobs can't find another.

It all stinks....I hope it gets better but it certainly doesn't look like it's going to.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
cant get any more private sector than congressman who have "misppropriated trillions"

That would be public sector...congressmen aren't private sector workers.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe

Originally posted by Night Star
The numbers are actually higher. Think of all the people who barely make a buck or two above the poverty limit. They are still poor!

Yet millions of illegals are welcomed and hired for jobs while citizens fall through the cracks.

Can you please post some stats on the illegals, or are you just posting republican talking points?

How often do we see when ICE deports hundreds from a worklace, hundreds of citizens quickly and easily fill those positions?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Not very often do we see the reports that the jobs are filled with citizens, more than likely, they are filled with more illegals, this is why we see the same company getting hit, over and over again.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Freakin' poor people! If they paid their taxes we wouldn't have so many poor people!

Oh...wait............

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Would we have poor people if there was no such a thing as money and/or currency? I say get rid of all money systems and barter for everything. Just think about it for a while.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOMof3
Would we have poor people if there was no such a thing as money and/or currency? I say get rid of all money systems and barter for everything. Just think about it for a while.

Yes, we would still have poor people. There would be people who didn't have much, if anything, with which to barter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join