It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the worst job you've ever done?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
working for a healthy grocery store (wont say which one) as a produce manager. great job on paper....horrible how they run things. worked with 5 other managers and they all hated me. i guess i didnt quite fit in with their crowd. made my life a living hell for a little over a year. im sure i had my moments too. lol the store manager pulled me into his office one day and started screaming at me that he wasnt intimadated by me and i mean loud. after that he told me to get out of his store called the cops and said i assaulted him.

WHAT A JOKE never put a finger on him and the cops never arrested me/ he didnt have the authority to fire me so within a week a was back.

and omg how tense things were, and i started asking myself what am i even doing here other than to pay bills. crazy

a month later the general was canned for how he responded to me, all the other managers teamed up against me the rest of the time.

i mean i would say good morning as i walk in the store and nothing and i had to work with these people. in the end all managers got canned within the next 3 months. i was the last to be fired for not meeting my projected sales to purchase ratio which was flawed from before i even went to work there. just horrible.

and recently i got a package from the stores attorney saying 3 of the former managers where suing the company and the company had the gual to ask me to be a witness for them. after the denied me unenployment.

oh did i mention they let me go a week before xmas!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Yes I was only in FOBs while I was over there. Hazard of a much needed MOS. 13F

reply to post by TDawgRex

Yes, yes it does make you mean. wasn't additional/extra duty, it was just before anyone got in trouble and I was the low NCO (corporal) on the totem pole... So I got put in charge of it a couple times.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Thanks for confirmin' that. I always thought of myself as a sumab!&#, with a warped sense of humor.

But sometimes Joes need to be taught a lesson. I had one tell me afterwards, "Please Sergeart, just beat the hell outta me next time I screw up, ok?" He learned.

OIF and OEF, I was to high ranking to oversee that detail, Yep. I assigned the Corporals or new Sergeants.

But now that I am retired...I'll never have to do that again...unless TSHF.

edit on 12-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Being the trolley boy at Sainsbury's supermarket wasn't great in the winter, but telesales for GE capital selling loans over the phone was pretty soul destroying.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Help maintain a positive external image for Duke Nukem Forever while it was long in development.

/hindsight

Yet... life still moved on. So who knows what remains to be seen and done.

Namaste!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I once had a job picking broken pretzels off of a conveyor belt.

My head almost exploded. I only lasted a week.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

My worst job was at a popsicle stick factory. Yes a stick factory. It was a the only job I could find that would hire a college student for 2-3 months. I also worked 3rd shift for an extra .25 an hour. It was ridiculous.

My actually job there? Push a button, put sticks in boxes, put those boxes in boxes and repeat.

it was horrible.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Wow, you've all had some bad ones! Now I don't feel so bad....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Try working in an offal rendering plant.I worked for one summer in Calgary shovelling cow guts and ass&*^%Holes down a shute in the middle of a big concrete floor where they dumped tandem loads of dead animal parts.
Into the huge grinder they went with us shovelling them through the hole in the floor.
After which they were conveyed into a huge pressure cooker.
Once they stewed for some time in the cooker we would dump it into a vat which would drain the boiling hot fat.
The remaining sludge was again shovelled into two huge presses.Two shovels and a steel plate, two shovels and a steel plate till the press was loaded and then it squeezed all the rest of the grease out of the dross.
Unloading the presses we simply reversed them and shoved the steel plates back on the bench and chucked the cakes of bone meal onto a conveyor which spirited them off to be ground into feedable chunks.
the tallow went into forty-five gallon drums and the bone meal went into huge hoppers to be loaded into trucks later.The gross part really, of it all, was that the stuff we produced was fed back to the next batch of cows on the feed lot waiting for slaughter......
They had showers that worked with cold water and live steam so you could get hot hot water to wash but the grease and the smell stayed on you.
Hell i could eat my lunch sitting on a pile of rotted cow guts after a couple of weeks.
I couldnt smell a thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Working 18 hour days, seven days a week, for three months in the galley on the USS Saratoga, while on TAD from my squadron.

2nd worse, working 12 hours days, seven days a week, on the flight deck at night, for the rest of my year and 2 days sea time.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
my first job was at a pizza place. everyone there acted as if were taking speed to cure a hangover, they were sweaty, angry, illogical, unreasonable, and generally insane and ridiculous.
i was a dumb kid, just trying to get by and be a good employee. i made a point to learn how the P.O.S.(aka cash register with fancy computer screen) worked and take orders from customers.
then one day the manager who hired me was fired, and replaced with a witch. the type of gal who smiles ALL THE TIME, but you can see in her eyes shes really a demon from hell.
one night i was closing with her, i got everything i needed to do done, and i asked her if could go home. she said sure and i went on my merry way as i had done many many times before.
i come back the next day to check the new schedule to see when i work and SURPRISE, im not on it! lol

i ask what the deal is, and one of the speed freak guys who was always acting like my best friend says to me "its not cool what you did man" i ignore him and ask the scary manager again, why im not on the schedule.. she claims its because i left her all alone at night.. like i was supposed to be her bodyguard and walk her to her car. i then reminded her that i asked if i could go and she said yes. but she claims she said it in a special kind of way that should have telepathically told me that she really meant the opposite of what she was saying. at this point im too angry to speak so i just leave.

eventually i find out that pretty much EVERYONE got fired for the same reason that old manager was fired in the first place.. someone was apparently stealing from the register. so by trying to be a good employee and helping out by taking peoples orders, i became a suspect.. and it turns out the one person the witch, who was brought in to find the thief, trusted, the last one fired, my speed freak "friend" was the real culprit.

but thats not even half of it.. the real kicker was that about a year after this all happened, with a whole new crew, the place was shut down by the IRS because the guy wasnt paying his taxes correctly, because he couldnt... BECAUSE THE WHOLE THING WAS A FRONT FOR SOME COCAINE SMUGGLING MOB!

yep.. i worked for drug dealers... making pizza.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Shoveled elephant dung for a traveling circus in the mid-west in the early 70's. I was 17 and looking for a reason for life. That wasn't it! Went back to school that next fall.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

That was quite the story! I laughed at that one, very very funny. Thanks for sharing! Explains all the speed freaks and their behavior.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Strangely, at least to me,it smelled like burning plastic and wax combined.

The burning part of the job was not the bad part though.

It was the part where you and another person had to drag/carry the containers to the place where you performed the burning function.

They didn't make rubber gloves long enough, if you were lucky to have those at all.

It was and still is the original "crappy" job.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The Early Learning Center...The run up to Christmas.
Barney on constant loop...
I feel ill just thinking about it. All those happy little faces...All that pink...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

My worst job was being a telemarketer for a scam artist.
I didn't know the "company" was not legit until I called a
number on my "list".The person I was giving my "speech"
to was connected to that organization and wanted to know
what was going on.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
worst job ever selling $ 2000 vacuum cleaners, door to door

kinda spuprised my bosses at "how fast i got into houses"
but i couldnt ssll that i would make friends with prospect customers and not have it in me to push a 2000 dollar vacume on them
i quit and thay called a week later asking me to just come back to "knock" for them and get um in the door....
no thanks creepers

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
^^^^^^^ My brother did this and hated every moment of it. he said the vacum are top notch but in all honesty who is going to pay 2 grand for something that sucks up dirt. loa

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
Burning crap.
Instructions:
In large oil drum mix 1 part JP8 (fuel) for every 2 parts urine & feces. Stir with long stick. Drop a match. Wait for everything to burn.

Yes it smells.

Been there done that.

Second worse would have to be [thank God] much better by comparison. When I was a teen I worked part time cleaning out cages and kennels at a large veterinarian facility. MORE CRAP

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Mine would definatley have to be landscaping when I was 18. $6 an hour under the table,6 am to 6 pm,if not later. It the heat of summer. Was.Not.Worth.It. I was the youngest,so of course all the other guys (mid 30's or older) always gave me the crappy jobs.Like shoveling maneur from a dump truck in 95 degree heat.That's when I knew it wasn't for me.No offense to any landscapers on this board

edit on 16-9-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join