It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one notice a bright blue star?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
hey folks , this weekend9/11/11 I was camping in a very remote part of new england. on top of a small mountain. Very dark clear sky some nights can even see the milky with the naked eye.
I looked up round 2 am and noticed a very bright blue star blue like a police light almost and it was kinda flickering

anybody see this or know what it is?
curious
edit on 12-9-2011 by jplaysguitar because: spelling

edit on 12-9-2011 by jplaysguitar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I pointed out something like that on Saturday night driving home (east). I figured it was a star or planet of sorts. I don't know astronomy well so I had no idea what it was. I actually forgot about it untill I noticed your post. It was East though, low in the sky at around 10:30pm.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Most likely the star Sirius, it lines up with Orion's belt...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I am guessing maybe Sirius or Venus depending on where you observed the star, wiki has a good list of brightest stars and maybe from there you can figure it out.

Linkage for the lazy (self included): en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9/12/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

And another for Cross Reference: www.universetoday.com...
edit on 9/12/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I saw a bright, blue star a couple of nights ago while camping out in the west Texas/ south New Mexico area. It looked like a normal star except that it was bigger and blue. I thought it was strange since all this Elenin stuff is going on, which I didn't actually believe until I saw the star.

I've tried to find it again, but I live close to a city, which makes it hard to see any stars at night.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

yes! i only noticed id because it was rather odd

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sirius is a bright blue star. and it sometimes flickers reddish.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I saw it a few nights ago about midway it looked in the east sky. It was really bright. I live out in the country in east central texas and there are no lights out here. I called my hubby out to look at it and because he has WAAYYYY more knowledge of these things that I do and he said it was planet Venus. Then he said, "Remember baby, it's named after the goddess venus because of it's beauty." So pretty sure it's Venus that we are seeing. There is another thread that talks about a "twinkling star" and pretty sure we discussed that one as being Sirus. Orions belt points directly to it. It's more twinly than Venus and doesn't look quite as big IMHO.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There's been a very bright supernova in the sky these past few days. It was probably that you saw.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
oh cool thanks for the link

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
My fiancé and I go camping and fishing often. I hate fishing but she loves it.
So I usually take time and look at the stars. One of my things I love to do when out of the city. I will be honest, I pointed out a funny looking star this past Saturday to my fiancé, referring to the fact it looked different and never noticed anything like it before. She thought I was being weird by being so observant. However, I will have to agree, there was something in the sky that was out of the ordinary. Its primary color was blue, but it did fizzle in other colors. I thought initially I’m just looking at a airplane at 40,000 feet. Since they have green and red lights. But it never moved, and it was much brighter than that. While fishing, (caught one sheep head and 2 catfish, lol) I kept looking up between the hours of 10pm-2am central time. It never moved. Very weird. Kind of nice to see that somebody else saw something that same time periodish.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
oh nice thanks for the replies fellow star watchers...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
hey folks , this weekend9/11/11 I was camping in a very remote part of new england. on top of a small mountain. Very dark clear sky some nights can even see the milky with the naked eye.
I looked up round 2 am and noticed a very bright blue star blue like a police light almost and it was kinda flickering

anybody see this or know what it is?
curious
edit on 12-9-2011 by jplaysguitar because: spelling

edit on 12-9-2011 by jplaysguitar because: (no reason given)

Please use your computer to look up a decent star chart for your time and position and discern if what you saw was simply a typical star or if you have reason to somewhat shout "Wolf."

But yeah, you did start a thread, and that counts as a mark for you according to ATS rules.
In my book, it is a mark against you because of the time wasted. And you really won't be any better informed about what you saw when this thread sinks into oblivion.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

lol that's awsome that you fish at night

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Completely uncalled for and rude. He/she wasted no more of our time than you just did with your condescending remarks. Not everyone can be as computer literate as you. Since you know all there is to know about astronomy and computers and "star charts", how about you take some classes on manners??

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
There's been a very bright supernova in the sky these past few days. It was probably that you saw.

Not supposed to be visible with eyes though. Afaik you need binoculars to see it, which means it cannot be the supernova.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

no i posted this on my wii console so im prety limited

what kind of "mark" are you talking about

just wanted to see if any ATS friends saw what i did
take care

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It was most likely Sirius, when it is really shining it is really bright. I rememebr the first time i saw it i was in awe. I stared for probably 10 minutes to make sure it wasnt an aircraft. Then i snuck into my sons room and busted out his telescope and sat on teh deck and checked it out for a good hour. My wife thought i was crazy but it was really bright and cool to see.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Me and my husband also saw something around 3am on the 11th of Septermber. It was flickering blue, white and red and not always the same sequence or time frame.

It was South - SE of my location (Montreal, Quebec) and it moved SW from the initial location when we first spotted it.

We looked through our binoculars and we could see through it that it was blinking colours and not always in the same sequence or speed.

And it couldn't have been the supernova since that's located around the big dipper and this "star" was by it's lonesome...

edit on 12-9-2011 by momonmiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I remember a few early mornings ago, I was gazing up at the stars and I saw a really bright and beautiful star that was to the right of Orion's Belt. As stared at it for about an hour, it kept flickering. I was told that it was the star called Rigel. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join