It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Sensational!] Red Mercury Mentioned in leaked Diplomatic Cables

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hey guys,

I'd like to take credit for this one but it was brother who did the research and discovered two new mentions of the mysterious substance Red Mercury in the new wikileaks cables.

It seems as though the US is treating this imaginary substance as though it were real...

Another (partially edited for space constraints):

This is interesting, especially considering the IAEA says it isn't real:

Following the arrest of several men in Britain in September 2004, on suspicion that they were trying to buy a kilo of red mercury for £300,000, the International Atomic Energy Agency made a statement dismissing claims that the substance is real. "Red mercury doesn't exist," said the spokesman. "The whole thing is a bunch of malarkey."[8]

I just thought you'd like to know, considering how long this stuff has been talked about in the conspiracy world.

For those of you who want to get the originals for yourself, go to cablesearch.org... and use the key words red mercury.

Here are links to the cables (If you are unsure of whether or not you could get in trouble in your country for doing so, please do not click these links.):

cablesearch.org...

cablesearch.org...

***If you are on a military connection, perhaps you should wait until you are using your own connection before viewing any of the cables linked to here.***
edit on 3-9-2011 by Exuberant1 because: minor details.

edit on 3-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: Changed title from all caps

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

This stuff???

Whys that important?

From your post

Red Mercury was also CLAIMED to be at the location

Claimed.......they could claim there was anything there. I could claim to be an astronaut....
edit on 3-9-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Whats the link to the source? Anyone could have written that cable
edit on 3-9-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

[SENSATIONAL!]

I really wish there was some rule on ATS that stopped people from putting these useless tags in their thread titles, especially stuff like "CONFIRMED!!" and "[You won't BELIEVE THIS!!1]".

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

It is red mercury in leaked diplomatic cables.

You know, pretty sensational stuff.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Here's a good article about the 3 men arrested for trying to buy Red Mercury: What is Red Mercury

From the article:

The five main theories are:

1.) That red mercury is a reference to cinnabar, a naturally-occurring mercuric sulphide. The red pigment derived from cinnabar is known as vermillion.

2.) That it is a reference to the alpha crystalline form of mercury iodide, which changes to a yellow colour at very high temperatures.

3.) That it is simply referring to any mercury compound originating from the former Soviet Union. The 'red' tag would simply be a legacy of the Cold War era.

4.) That it is a ballotechnic mercury compound which just happens to be red in colour. Ballotechnics are substances which react very energetically when subjected to shock compression at high pressure. They include mercury antimony oxide which, according to some reports, is a cherry red semi-liquid produced in Russian nuclear reactors. This theory contends that it is so explosive that a fusion reaction - a nuclear explosion - can be triggered even without fissionable material such as uranium.

5.) That it is a military codeword for a new nuclear material, probably manufactured in Russia.

reply to post by SonicInfinity

You, my friend, are severely off-topic.
edit on 3/9/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

From your post

You mean from the leaked cable.

link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

you mean this?

Red Mercury as a ballotechnic Samuel T. Cohen, the "father of the neutron bomb", claimed for some time that red mercury is a powerful explosive-like chemical known as a ballotechnic. The energy released during its reaction is enough to directly compress the secondary without the need for a fission primary in a thermonuclear weapon. He claimed that he learned that the Soviet scientists perfected the use of red mercury and used it to produce a number of softball-sized "pure fusion" bombs weighing as little as 10 lb (4.5 kg), which he claimed were made in large numbers.[17] He went on to claim that the reason this is not more widely known is that elements within the US power structure are deliberately keeping it "under wraps" due to the frightening implications such a weapon would have on nuclear proliferation. Since a red mercury bomb would require no fissile material, it would seemingly be impossible to protect against its widespread proliferation given current arms control methodologies. Instead of trying to do so, they simply claim it doesn't exist, while acknowledging its existence privately. Cohen also claimed that when President Boris Yeltsin took power, he secretly authorized the sale of red mercury on the international market, and that fake versions of it were sometimes offered to gullible buyers.[17] Cohen's claims appear to be difficult to support scientifically. The amount of energy released by the fission primary is thousands of times greater than that released by conventional explosives, and it appears[who?] that the "red mercury" approach would be orders of magnitude smaller than required. Furthermore, ballotechnic materials are those that do not explode, so it is difficult to understand how their energy could be used to produce compression at all.[original research?] Additionally, it appears there is no independent confirmation of any sort of Cohen's claims to the reality of red mercury. The scientists[who?] in charge of the labs where the material would have been made have publicly dismissed the claims (see below), as have numerous US colleagues, including Edward Teller. According to Cohen,[17] veteran nuclear weapon designer Dr. Frank Barnaby conducted secret interviews with Russian scientists who told him that red mercury was produced by dissolving mercury antimony oxide in mercury, heating and irradiating the resultant amalgam, and then removing the elemental mercury through evaporation.[18] The irradiation was reportedly carried out by placing the substance inside a nuclear reactor.[19]

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

From your post

You mean from the leaked cable.

Erm.......i mean from your post as you havent linked to the source

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I posted copies of the cables in my post.

The cables are the source.

If you want to find a copy of them yourself, you know how to get them.

*I'm doing this as a courtesy to the community, who are interested in such things. The resources are there for those of you who demand to know more. I recommend google or any number of cablegate search engines.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here is an excerpt from my earlier thread on the first mention of red mercury - I made it back in 2010 and have been monitoring the cable leaks for more info on red mercury ever since.

This time the substance is mentioned with regards to handling defectors:

quote deleted.

I already spent like ten minutes finding and reposting the links for the other cables in the OP and figured I should delete this cable just in case.

edit on 3-9-2011 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

I posted copies of the cables in my post.

The cables are the source.

If you want to find a copy of them yourself, you know how to get them.

*I'm doing this as a courtesy to the community, who are interested in such things. The resources are there for those of you who demand to know more. I recommend google or any number of cablegate search engines.

You need to provide links to these cables. Its a requirement of the site to provide links to externally quoted material. We don't want people claiming they found cables that dont really exist now, do we?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

You seem to have forgotten to post the relevant header from the wikipedia page you sourced, specifically...

Red mercury was described by many commentators[who?], and the exact nature of its supposed working mechanism varied widely among them. In general, however, none of these explanations appear to be scientifically or historically supportable.

The abstract is also relevant and quote worthy...

The term was adopted in the 1970s from redmercuriciodide (mercury(II) iodide) as part of several hoax substances of uncertain composition purportedly used in the creation of nuclear bombs, as well as a variety of unrelated weapons systems.

Redmercuriciodide is a poisonous, scarlet-red, odorless, tasteless powder that is insoluble in water.

However, samples of "red mercury" obtained from arrested would-be terrorists invariably consisted of nothing more than various red dyes or powders of little value, which some suspect was being sold as part of a campaign intended to flush out potential nuclear smugglers.

The hoax was first reported in 1979 and was commonly discussed in the media in the 1990s. Prices as high as $1.800,000 per kilogram were reported

Red mercury

Another ATS exclusive mystery solved.

edit on 3-9-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So 4 years ago this highly dangerous stuff was gathering dust in some hotel room.
God only knows who has it now.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
reply to post by eXia7

The term was adopted in the 1970s from redmercuriciodide (mercury(II) iodide) as part of several hoax substances of uncertain composition purportedly used in the creation of nuclear bombs, as well as a variety of unrelated weapons systems.

Redmercuriciodide is a poisonous, scarlet-red, odorless, tasteless powder that is insoluble in water.

However, samples of "red mercury" obtained from arrested would-be terrorists invariably consisted of nothing more than various red dyes or powders of little value, which some suspect was being sold as part of a campaign intended to flush out potential nuclear smugglers.

The hoax was first reported in 1979 and was commonly discussed in the media in the 1990s. Prices as high as $1.800,000 per kilogram were reported

Red mercury

Another ATS exclusive mystery solved.

edit on 3-9-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

Oh I see...That would make sense.
Talk about being caught "red handed"..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

You need to provide links to these cables. Its a requirement of the site to provide links to externally quoted material. We don't want people claiming they found cables that dont really exist now, do we?

The links have been added. But the method for finding the cables and copies of them had already been posted (reducing the risk of legal consequences should they exist).

I just hope no one goes to jail or gets in trouble.

*If any of you are on a military connection, perhaps you should wait until you are using your own connection before viewing any of the cables linked to here.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
By all accounts it would appear that "Red Mercury" is a hoax.

www.homelandsecurityus.net...

en.wikipedia.org...

If any of you are on a military connection, perhaps you should wait until you are using your own connection before viewing any of the cables linked to here.

I would think that the *.mil would be amongst the first to download any new cables on wikileaks.

edit on 3/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

That is what people have been saying for years....

... and until my brother found those papers, people would have had no clue that it was apparently being treated as though it were real.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Sensational?Really?

You think if you post misguided title,you'll have,what,a popular thread?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Thank you very much.

I don't think we need to worry about legal ramifications. The whole world is viewing these and the media is ignoring them. Speaks volumes.

I would expect many fake stories to pop up claiming to be from the cables over the next few weeks.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join