It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how much closer is Comet Elenin going to get to the earth? readings show closer as the days go on.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am as sick as the next girl about all the Comet Elenin hype....no one knows besides the big chiefs whats going down or going to happen. We just got to sit back and wait to see i guess. I couldn't help but notice though, that going through data over the past few months Comet Elenin is coming closer to earth day by day, not much but it is. By all means i am no Michio Kaku but just how much closer is it going to come by Oct 25, 2011. Here is some pictures from the JPL DATA BROWSER i have collected over the past few months. (NOTICE EARTH DISTANCE)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7d74cf659dc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83b12e68c336.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b8e937f4f10.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well...the last i heard it had disintegrated so there is still 0 chance of it happening.

It was expected to pass 22,000,000 miles from earth....now its disintegrated it wont even get that close

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well, from what I understood, it was supposed to come closer to earth at this time anyway. Isn't the closest point predicted for October? But what does this matter now that it is disintegrating???

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I thought the 'elenin disintegrating' was an opinion based on some obscure observed changes.
Though, that opinion went viral at obscene pace...

After checking out STEREO images, our little comet is still alive and well.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
According to the JPL Orbit Diagrams, the closest Elenin will get to Earth will be on October 16/17 when it will be ablout .234 AU (about 21.7 million miles) from the Earth.

Assuming, of course, that diagram is accurate.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
NASA is about as honest as a smiling politician. The first data I saw on how close Elenin was going to be was about 0.0024AU, somehow the numbers didn't change but the decimal point did, and no one seemed to notice or mention it.

How's that red sky on Mars doing? Or the recent news about the $63 million dollars per seat NASA is paying the Russians for a ride to the ISS in the coming years now that the shuttle program is scrapped.

At 7:50 it talks about that money given to the Russians for a lift to the ISS...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
nice thread. something strange about this comet. Nasa videos about how its nothing, JPL orbit of Elenin is angular instead of ecliptic... Now we have soom proof they are unsure of the exact orbit. curious, anyone know how many miles 0.001 Au units would be?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antinwo101

I am as sick as the next girl about all the Comet Elenin hype....
No offence, but Stop posting/making threads about it then.
I think 99% of ATS user base
is sick of hearing the name Elenin, its just a harmless little comet for gods sake.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

I am as sick as the next girl about all the Comet Elenin hype....
No offence, but Stop posting/making threads about it then.
I think 99% of ATS user base
is sick of hearing the name Elenin, its just a harmless little comet for gods sake.

I for one enjoy the Elenin threads. There is just something fishy about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It will not hit us.....you will be able to confirm this when it either melts, or floats past at a huge distance from us

Thats me done...i could go around in circles all night with you guys and gals....ps3 is calling haha (after my luscious chilli con carne nom nom)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I, too believe there is something strange about this comet. However there has been a dearth of information regarding it, making it almost impossible to do any real research.

Leonid Elenin's SpaceObs page is also short on answers.

There is one place I have found that is an excellent source of current information on this particular cometary body (and others). You may wish to visit the following site and find out what I have learned from an observer in Australia:

members.westnet.com.au...

Hopefully the link stays intact so you can use it.

The most interesting thing is how this comet has changed its appearance over time. Becoming brighter and then dimmer. There was a recent interaction between the comet and a coronal mass ejection from Sol that has resulted in the current dimmimg.

The link has a number of images and animations on the landing page. Just scroll down.

Hope that helps to demistify some of the conjecture.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Two other comets are in our night skies at the moment, Comet Garradd and comet Honda.
Why is it that these two get no mention at all but Elenin has generated countless threads and
groundless speculation on conspiracy sites? The simple answer to that is stupidity in my
opinion. Someone starts the ball rolling with a silly rumour and it gets out hand, it could have
been honda or garradd that got all this attention, if only the rumour was started about them first.. do you see what i mean?

edit on 2-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Unless there has been a change...NASA has yet to confirm it has Disintegrated.

edit on 2-9-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I'm sure we all know this but just to be clear... an astronomical unit (AU) is the mean distance from the Earth to the Sun which is around 93 million miles (92,955,807.268 mi). This is considered to be the average distance since the Earth orbits the Sun in an ellipse and is closer during December then it is during June.

To figure out how far this is, your screens show @ 0.295 AU, multiply this number by 93 million which comes out to be 27,435,000 miles.

As mobiusmale posted the closest Elenin will get is around 0.234 AU's or 21.7 million miles. Any other claim of a closer distance will need a source to verify, otherwise I would consider it bunk.

Newton's law of motion states that any object in motion will stay in motion unless another force is acted upon it. This means Elenin will maintain its orbit even if it breaks into smaller pieces. The Sun's solar wind is a small force which could cause the breakup of some comets but not enough to throw it wildly off coarse. Also keep in mind that the words disintegration and melting, as used by previous posters, does not mean disappear. Even if a comet disintegrates or melts its mass is still there and will maintain its original orbit.

edit on 9/2/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Concerning the so said comet (Which is not actually), the closest point of it from earth is going to be October the 17th. It will be at 0.234 AU from earth and will start to going off and further from that date.

2 dates to remember guys and girls :
- September 26th, distance from earth: 0.38 AU
- October the 17th, distance from earth: 0.23 AU

Here is the link to : JPL Small-Body Database Browser

Look at the date, look at the distance and even if something odd might pop into your eyes dear ATSers

Thruthseek3r

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

NASA is illuminati, do not start to believe every single thing they say about what is happening in the space. To startt waking up would be a good thing, considering the feed us with toxins to keep us in the box sleeping.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
NASA is about as honest as a smiling politician. The first data I saw on how close Elenin was going to be was about 0.0024AU, somehow the numbers didn't change but the decimal point did, and no one seemed to notice or mention it.

NASA does not provide the data on Elenin. That comes from the IAU Minor Planet Center.
www.minorplanetcenter.net...

But closest approach was never calculated at .0024AU.
edit on 9/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It is meteor YU55that is going to be .0023 AU on Nov. 9th 2011.

If I am not mistaken, it passes between us and the moon.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r
Concerning the so said comet (Which is not actually), the closest point of it from earth is going to be October the 17th. It will be at 0.234 AU from earth and will start to going off and further from that date.

2 dates to remember guys and girls :
- September 26th, distance from earth: 0.38 AU
- October the 17th, distance from earth: 0.23 AU

Here is the link to : JPL Small-Body Database Browser

Look at the date, look at the distance and even if something odd might pop into your eyes dear ATSers

Thruthseek3r

Sorry but I a at work and I just can't see it?

What is it I am supposed to notice?

Please?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r
reply to post by wutz4tom

NASA is illuminati, do not start to believe every single thing they say about what is happening in the space. To startt waking up would be a good thing, considering the feed us with toxins to keep us in the box sleeping.

Thruthseek3r

I say Elenin could be an "over the hill" magnetar that has lost some of its "oomph". 14km, traveling with sisters of unknown composition, possibly hard rock asteroids. What are their approach paths?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join