It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Graders Handcuffed At Chicago School, Told They Were Going To Prison: Lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

First Graders Handcuffed At Chicago School, Told They Were Going To Prison: Lawsuit

www.huffingtonpost.com

The school allegedly authorized on-campus security to discipline disruptive first graders, Fox Chicago reports. The children who were considered disruptive were then allegedly handcuffed for an hour and sent to an office, where they were told "they were going to prison and would never see their parents again,"

"There appears to be no reason for an officer to isolate 6- and 7-year-old children, place them in handcuffs and threaten them for hours during a school day, or any other day,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So having just brought my (crying) son to his first day of kindergarten, this really hit a nerve.

The trauma inflicted on these 6 year-olds will be with them for life, I'm sure.
Handcuffed, isolated for hours, and tormented.

These young children will grow up angry, and some day, after years of hitting the weights, brawling on the streets, etc.
little Jonny won't be so little, or easily frightened.

He won't be a fan of security guards, for sure, and more than likely will equate all "authority" to this little incident.

So the next time we shake our heads and wonder what could have caused some "nut-job" to walk into a police station and open fire, remember these incidents.
These little children will grow up, for better or worse.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Wow, spanking is not allowed, but threatening to take somebody's life away is positive reinforcement.

What a farce. It is stories like these, combined with my own experiences in school that has led me to remain childless at 33.

Jeebus.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Whehe land of the free my *ss. You guys seriously have messed up your country. Guards at school, WITH handcuffs ??? Maybe even a nightstick or a GUN ???

Damn, police state anyone ?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

If they had dared do that to one of my children...well.. I can tell you I would have gone ballistic.

Why do schools think they have the right to do this to a 6 and 7 year old?

Unfortunately when they get sued..it comes out of public funds..that are desperately needed.

I can totally understand why people don't want to have children brought into this messed up world.
edit on 1-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is the most egregious incident of this nature that I've ever heard of. Your point is well taken. This will live with these kids for years. I'm not sure they are suing the right people though. Let the board investigate this, see who is to blame and then sue the bas right individuals.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The attack on children is relentless isn't it?
They're FIRST GRADERS for Christ sake, if you can't handle even the strongest 6yr old in the world, you shouldn't be a security guard or cop.

Why were the kids disruptive? My guesses would be poor low income diets, heavy fluoride in their water, their meds (duh), and/or their teacher's inability to maintain an orderly classroom.

I worked with kids the CPS pulled from homes who were in transition to foster care, some very violent at times. I had to restrain many kids ages 6 to 16 and not ONCE was I in need of a taser, handcuffs, or any weapons, because I was properly trained by the state. There's no excuse for all these reports about cops being violent with kids in schools.

link   
The lawyers are drooling uncontrollably in Chicago.

I'm thinking about going back to school and get a J.D. degree and become an attorney.

Stupid officials are becoming such easy pickins.

link   
Must be part of the overall plan to condition inner city blacks to hate cops? It's no wonder they'll grow up to hate cops. Sad thing is the chance they do end up in prison is probably greater than the chance they'll graduate. Numbers seem to indicate drop out rate at just over 50%.
edit on 1-9-2011 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I support disciplining children when necessary, but this crosses over into psychological abuse.

This is dysfunctional. Telling the kids they will never see their parents again is going WAY too far.

edit on 9/1/2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

It is a farce, and to make matters worse, the school administrators all the way up to the Board of Education ignored the parents demand for an explanation. (According to lawyers representing the parents).

attorney Michael Carin said school officials at Carver Primary School on the Far South Side authorized the on-campus security guard in March 2010 to discipline some first-graders who were being disruptive.

Chicago Tribune

So after the handcuffing, hours of isolation and tormented, these kids were just sent home, as if nothing happened?
Can you imagine the discussion at the dinner table that night?

Mom: How was school today, Jonny?
Jonny: Well.......

And of course, the taxpayers of Chicago will be footing the bill for this one, too.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have to say I have mixed feelings on this. On the 1 hand, everybody knows at least 1 foul mouthed rotten little brat that you can barely restrain yourself from taking up and paddling that ass. I told his father if he didnt whip the kid, I was going to whip his. There is no call for the way some kids act. I don't blame this much on the parents due to the 1 800 he's-whippin-my-ass intervention of the govt. I have noticed an obvious climb in the prison population since the enactment of the child abuse laws. Now granted, I know these laws are meant to protect children. But they have been used to let kids get away with virtually anything, stop the parents from disciplining and charge them with a crime because they cannot control the kid.
Kids need to be taught there are circumstances for actions. Letting a kid go in this world like that is a fast way to get them killed the 1st time they pull crap that worked on mama on someone that just shouldnt have been messed with anyway.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This crosses the line, let me guess were they black ? And we wonder why the brown people are so angry all the time.

Little Johnny's going to grow up to whoop somebody's ass and nobody will blame him. Thank god children aren't in my future. Thank god I'm not in the intercity. Poor kids, they will be scarred for life.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
can any one explain this part to me im not to upto date on lawsuits but
"CPS, along with the Board of Education, are defendants in the case. Neither the security officer nor school administrators are named as defendants.

CPS spokeswoman Becky Carroll said again Tuesday that school officials have not yet seen the complaint and need to review it before commenting. Calls to Carver Primary School were not returned." from reading the article i fail to see why cps is getting sued or at atleast named but the security gaurd is not? is this normal or how these work or what legalese is not my strong point

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Too angry to speak right now, if i lived over there and this happened to one of my children, i think i would probably lose it completely and end up being arrested, glad the parents are following the legal avenue as it is probably better than my way. What is this world coming too?

edit on 1-9-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I hope that the ensueing lawsuit will yield enough in punitive damages that it will cover the cost of a private school for these children, as well as a minimal college education. Then justice will have been served.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Not surprising from a jurisdiction that can also produce this:

Chicago School Bans Homemade Lunches

edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This cases are not isolated more and more this type of incidents are popping all over the nation, Why? because this is how the indoctrination of servitude to the state and to authority is been conducted.

Yes I am a conspiracies theorist.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
I have to say I have mixed feelings on this. On the 1 hand, everybody knows at least 1 foul mouthed rotten little brat that you can barely restrain yourself from taking up and paddling that ass. I told his father if he didnt whip the kid, I was going to whip his. There is no call for the way some kids act. I don't blame this much on the parents due to the 1 800 he's-whippin-my-ass intervention of the govt. I have noticed an obvious climb in the prison population since the enactment of the child abuse laws. Now granted, I know these laws are meant to protect children. But they have been used to let kids get away with virtually anything, stop the parents from disciplining and charge them with a crime because they cannot control the kid.
Kids need to be taught there are circumstances for actions. Letting a kid go in this world like that is a fast way to get them killed the 1st time they pull crap that worked on mama on someone that just shouldnt have been messed with anyway.

I can understand your feelings about some children being in need of some serious discipline.. but if you are condoning the extent of discipline this school allowed ..I hope you don't mind when someone who thinks your kid maybe a snotty nosed little brat..(or grandchild) feels its ok to handcuff them and tell them they will never see their parents again.

There are also many ways to discipline besides corporal punishment.

Yes I do agree with you..some children need more discipline than others.. but the parents should have been contacted if there was a serious issue at hand..they have the right to be there if their children are being detained for questioning , and disciplinary purposes.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
This crosses the line, let me guess were they black ? And we wonder why the brown people are so angry all the time.

Little Johnny's going to grow up to whoop somebody's ass and nobody will blame him. Thank god children aren't in my future. Thank god I'm not in the intercity. Poor kids, they will be scarred for life.

Most of the students are probably black..as well as the teachers and the guards.. please don't play the race card on this..it so takes away from the validity of the message.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join