It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music is an absolute joke

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
the paragraph on your rant on how they praise themselves stating they're better than us is what I tell my friends why they need to stop listening to rap. my friends give them respect, admire them, and tell themselves they need to be "up there" like these rappers. They make people feel low like they're a nobody. I know alot of people who follow their way of life and won't admit they're influenced by them only lying to themselves. I know people who listen to crack songs, and use it to motivate themselves to make money. it's so sad.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Not even old enough to drink

edit on 31-8-2011 by OtlwJoseyWales because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Also I'd like to add that you are right OP...Everything Popular now is Sampled from the Greats and they pay them no Homage in hopes people will consider them Creative instead of the Original Artists...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Oh, if you want some feel good rap, try real "christian" rap. Try this'll to begin with. Daddy did me, and picture on a shirt to start. Hardcore, without the cussing.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtlwJoseyWales
Not even old enough to drink

edit on 31-8-2011 by OtlwJoseyWales because: (no reason given)

No offense to you.....But that guy sucks....Try like locksmith or Vinnie Paz or Celph Titled or Demigodz...the guy in the video barely had a double rhyme scheme and people nowadays are doing quadruple rhyme schemes

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You're right, Hip Hop is not music - It's an ART. And this is what really *Grinds my gears*. People badmouthing Hip Hop without doing their research. Sure, you had a couple of real acts in there, De La Soul, etc. But you've completely excluded the underground acts and formed an opinion on an entire Genre from mainstream garbage you've heard on the radio. REAL Hip Hop is poetry, and takes a great deal of knowledge and skill to be a part of. Trust me, noone hates the mainstream club crap passed off as Hip Hop more than I, and I completely agree that there is no musical talent associated with it whatsoever. I've grown up listening to rap, and it's made me who I am today - Never shot anyone or drank crystal in my life. I hate stereotypes, and It annoys the hell out of me when people don't put in the effort to research all aspects of something before voicing their opinions.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Is it even music by definition?

The thing i hate most about it is the messages it gives out.

link   
OP - Oh - This is also another one you may want to examine.

link   
reply to post by TheSnowman

Yeah I find freestyling pretty cool, the only problem is that for most people they have pre thought up verses that they spit and act as if they're freestyle. I really dig people like Supernatural, Craig G and Juice, great freestylers. But yeah a lot of what people spit is pre written and very derivative. Cheers
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I did mention J5 in the OP man, I do also know blackalicious and he isn't bad, add to that list Nas, rakim, kool keith, public enemy, big L, EPMD etc and yeah I've found the right stuff, but that's over man.

reply to post by showintail

Well actually you're incorrect there. I used to live in ghetto, on 'the corner' actually. I'm not kidding, I was there for four years and saw enough overdoses, stabbings, gang brawls, beatings and police raids to last a lifetime. I'd come home at 1am or so and there'd be about 4 harcore looking junkies sitting on my front fence staring me off, I'd have to approach them slowly with my keys out so they didnt jump me. Had a guy try to run through my house one night with a machete one night too, we had a pretty bad ass back door and I wouldnt let him in, also I had about 6 people over so he gave up. So yeah anyway I did used to live in the ghetto and understand how hard it is, but those guys are doing nothing good for it. One other thing, I believe Lil' jon has maybe two or three phrases he yells out, one being "Whhhhhaaaaattttt"...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

What the hell did i just watch

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jsncrs

Trust me brother, I have definitely done my research, you'd be surprised how much I know about Hip hop. The thing about those underground acts is no one knows who they are, so they're kind of irrelevant in a way.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

What the flying f*ck does this have to with race?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Nothing wrong with death metal..............black metal on the other hand......

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
Also I'd like to add that you are right OP...Everything Popular now is Sampled from the Greats and they pay them no Homage in hopes people will consider them Creative instead of the Original Artists...

This is a point I wanted to elaborate on a little more but ran out of space. It is degrading the quality of music because they ARE passing it off as original music, people credit them as original artists and then any idiot thinks they can go out, steal some tunes from otis redding, add a beat, spit some stupid poorly thought out rhymes over it and become a superstar, its a joke.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

While you have a WONDERFUL argument with tons of effort and research... I don't know what the heck I would do during my commute without some terrible rap/hip hop to make me forget about all the troubles in the world!
I like to imagine for an hour that I have a Bentley and money flowing out of everywhere. The only time I listen to it is in the car. Gotta love me some 50 cent. And Ne yo. And don't forget Chris Brown and lil Wayne.
S&F for a great post! But I am kindly disagreeing!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
First of all, the guy's not racist, and if you get that out of reading the post, then you're either completely insecure, or you're just completely delusional. He made very valid points, and used great reference.

Why didn't he use a picture of Eminem? Haha, why does he have to be white? That sounds like you're racist. Why not asian, or hispanic? It just so happens that the majority of 'rappers' are African American, so get real. Would you call a black person racist if they posted pictures of baseball players he didn't really like, and they all happened to be white? And Eminem isn't wearing BIGA$$ chains either.

But, about that, don't single people out for what they're merely wearing. The way you dress has nothing to do with it, and I would love to see the way you dress. Not trying to be rude, but you see my point. Now a $410,000 chain is ridiculous and I agree there.

Why doesn't he call out Metal or Country? Probably because country doesn't always reference "Sipp'n Champagne" and poppin pills, and smack'n 'hoes', or being a 'gangsta' (and I really don't care for country by the way; some Johnny Cash is rather nice though). And a lot of metal has more talent than pretty much any genre of music when it comes to lyrics, musical technicality, and overall talent. There is ridiculous music everywhere, in every genre. Not just Hip-hop, Metal, Country, Rock, etc....

Music to me is defined by passion. Talent is merely how much passion you have in one or more areas, in my opinion and I draw, write, and play music. Am I talented? Eh, most say so, but I also have deep passions for all of those things. I didn't just wake up and know anatomy and scales.

So please, don't judge appearances and simply give credit where it's due.
And mainstream is the last place you want to give credit. Especially nowadays...

Anyway, here is a 'Metal' song that I think fits ATS rather well. The lyrics are very well thought out and you can tell they're intelligent:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The only problem i have with rap is it is totally from the point of view of the artist and leaves no questions on how to be interpreted. Rock music can be interpreted differently by many different people and the song can take on personal meaning to the listener that is totally different then the way the song was intended. That is something you don't get with rap. To say Rap is a joke is based totally on your opinion as rap is just an art form. While i don't listen to rap i understand that some people do not like rock or country ps i hate country but i have a lot of friends who love it.

It all breaks down to taste in music. Which is actually pretty interesting considering people tend to group them selfs by what they listen to when young, like how older people tend to group them selfs by what political party they like. I find both childish because what music you listen to doesn't define you like you might think the same with political party. This is social engineering as people naturally want to be part of a group even though they have nothing to do with how the music is made or how the party is run.

In the end you understand its the sheep who follow these trends and limit them self to only one type of music or one type of political understanding arguing against the others view points when if they stayed open to all options they might understand about the nature of both and can pick the good from bad in both
edit on 31-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Lol, ok. You lived IN the hood. But have you ever lived FOR the hood? Have you put in "work"? The "game". Do you really know what it is? not trying to be sarcastic? Just trying to let you open your eyes. You know rap. I believe that. Your op was very well explained and thought out. I have lived for the hood. I have spoken to "those crackheads". And id almost trust them with my life. Almost. The "dopeman" raised me. So, id trust a crackhead with my life, but not my prison term. Kwim?

Beyond mainstream, rap speaks to me from my perspective. Like country speaks to those who listen to it.

What pisses me off, iswhen I turn the "rap" station on, only to hear shyt that sound like an 80s mix station...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
RAP is CRAP. Poison for young peoples ears, if I caught my son listening to that garbage I would be throwing it out the window. Not only does the"music" stink the message is a bunch of liberal crap, but what else would it be.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

But, after you make millions of dollars, you need to drop the 'gangsta' persona and grow the F#CK up.
It gets old. Yeah, you had a hard life, but capitalizing on it constantly is not cool; nor is
simply making music for 'stacks of bread'...
edit on 31-8-2011 by AskWhy11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join