It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch the Supernova LIVE tonight :) 10pm PST....6am GMT

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
EDIT:

The light is 21,000,000 years old....you cannot watch it real time unless you have a spaceship and a time machine...sorry to disappoint the people who thought it was actually exploding today

So for all of us that dont have a telescope i have just seen on my subscriptions list on youtube a guy called Thunderf00t is broadcasting LIVE footage of the supernova tonight.

Im in the UK...i think its about 2 hours away

Wed. 31st Aug 2011, 10 pm PST.

Link to broadcast

www.blogtv.com...

Im going to try and stay up to watch it but its 3:18am....so i may miss it

Anyways...thought id let you all know so you can be a tiny minority of people to actually watch a live supernova...well....as live as you can from 21,000,000 lightyears lol

edit on 31-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: to correct spelling in title

edit on 31-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: to add times in the title to stop people getting confuzzled

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
anyone know if it will be visible in the western hemisphere?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

I have no idea...its viewable world wide due to this genius
woohooo

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the post! I hadnt heard anything about it...

Im tuned into the broadcast right now, and see someone plugging ATS on the comments
haha

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

No problem dude

Im glad i can help.....im only a guest on that blogtv so i cant even see the comments....but im only really there to watch the vid haha

Enjoy the show

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Although he doesnt say, the supernova he speaks of is almost certainly this one...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62a26b24a96e.jpg[/atsimg]

He's clearly going for the Guinness Book of records attempt for "most boring video broadcast" award.

From last week...

Supernova erupts in nearby Pinwheel Galaxy, closest in 25 years
When doing a routine survey of the nearby Pinwheel Galaxy, located a relatively short 21 million lightyears away from our solar system, scientists managed to capture a star, dubbed PTF 11kly, going supernova.

link

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Boring to you....fascinating to others
Once in a lifetime to see something like this....you dont have to watch it

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Im a guest only as well, just gotta scroll down a little...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So this can only be viewed through a telescope?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

www.farnham-as.co.uk...

Yup

Although discovered at magnitude 17, the supernova appears to be becoming brighter. It is estimated that it could reach magnitude 10 in the next few days, which would bring it within the reach of small telescopes or large binoculars. M101 is a face-on spiral galaxy and currently well placed for observation from the UK.

Was picked up by a big one....is getting brighter, so we can observe it with a smaller telescope

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Once in a lifetime to see something like this....you dont have to watch it

Not once in a lifetime.
My first was SN_1987A

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well what an utter and complete waste of my time!!

How many people have telescopes laying around the living cell?

Hopes raised and dashed like a sandstorm of emotional poker.You know I think the title is misleading/decietfull

At this time I will never be returning within this trust breaking thread...
edit on 31-8-2011 by paperface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

They cant be predicted....so for all we know this will be the only visible supernova for the next 100 years...who knows?? No one lol

Its something you will rarely see twice, unless you are an astronomer.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

How many people have telescopes laying around the living cell? Hopes raised and dashed like a sandstorm of emotional poker.You know I think the title is misleading/decietfull At this time I will never be returning within this trust breaking thread...
edit on 31-8-2011 by paperface because

Report me then
Alert the mods, thats what the button is for.

The light is 21,000,000 years old.....its a live as it can be. Sorry you didnt understand the title.
Its a live broadcast of the supernova...at 10pm pst. I dont know when that is...im in the UK.
edit on 31-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
They cant be predicted....so for all we know this will be the only visible supernova for the next 100 years...who knows?? No one lol
Its something you will rarely see twice, unless you are an astronomer.

Depends on your definition of "visible". From the reading I've done so far, theres no way you're going to be able to see this one without a monster set of binoculars, or preferably a telescope.
And if you have that, then there are HUNDREDS of supernova discovered every year that you could look at.

I dont think people really understand how common they are.
SN 1987A will still be the best one for a while, I think.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So we're not actually going to be seeing a supernova, but rather the aftermath of a supernova; I didn't believe the post when I read it anyway, I just wanted to see what other's response was, though I must say, it IS quite exciting if you don't own a very big telescope. I'm hoping Betelgeuse goes supernova soon though =]

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

The OP was referring to it being broadcast live over the internet by someone with a telescope. Why don't you read instead of being nasty and rude

Cheers for the heads up OP, I will try and watch it, I have a telescope, but I too am in the UK and 5:00am is gonna be too light to see squat, so I will have to watch the broadcast.

BTW, seen a massive fireball tonight in the North sky, heading straight down like it was aiming for Scotland, it was travelling very fast, had no tail, just a bright ball of light. Pretty darn cool, gotta love it.
edit on 31/8/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I signed up and in there now

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Thanks dude...some people eh

Ive edited the OP....some people are

Not my fault they dont understand lol

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Wow I'm guna have to stay up to watch it! I'm of sick after an operation but still gota call work work in the morning, hope I don't sound like I've been awake all night. OP what time is it going to start UK time do you know? I get the time zones mixed up sometimes and don't wana get it wrong! lol

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join