It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The illusion of near-death experiences?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I will start off by saying that I am against the myth of there being an afterlife, that being said, I have a theory as to what might actually happen when near death or if someone does die in the OR but is revived shortly after via defibrillator.

You always hear of people saying that they 'saw Heaven' or whatever when faced with a near-fatal experience. My theory is that in the brain's oxygen-deprived state we are subject to various hallucinations. This could be caused by the brain's frantic 'panic mode' as it slowly suffocates due to lack of oxygen being carried via the bloodstream once the heart ceases functioning. These hallucinations could take on various forms like pleasant, 'Heavenly' experiences, a white light, or even terrifying scenarios that could be considered 'Hell.' As more and more parts of the brain begin to shut down, the length of these experiences could be warped to feel like hours, days or even weeks much like a dream-like state. This state while the victim drifts towards death could be almost indistinguishable to a vivid dream and seem like a real experience when they are hopefully revived by EMT's or surgeons, etc.

What do you think?

(This is just my theory on things, and I hope I explained it clear enough. I did not right this to lash out at religious people or anything, please, believe what you want. These are just my thoughts when it comes to near-death experiences.)
edit on 8/26/2011 by Ihsahn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I've had a OBE. And although, I would associate myself in the realm of "ghost" in my opinion, I cannot hardly be sure of your opinion. My experience is personal, I have a thread on it, but a few things I found really interesting in this state that I was in.

Firstly, My first person perspective did not exist.
I was looking at myself in third person, which is strange! How many times have you seen yourself without the aid of a mirror, camera, or photo? Have you seen yourself with your own eyes?

Secondly, I felt that I was underwater. Everything looked as if you were in a pool and your eyes were open. But the figures were black silhouette, my friend and including myself (I was on a couch).

It is all about experiance

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So your saying that its all just a dream and that those who are in the room during their death and cant quote statements made by doctors while they where dead?

Well I tend to agree with you, when you are dead, you do not go to heaven, Christ says that nobody goes to heaven until after judgement day, which as far as i know, has not happened yet. I think the friendly, when you die you go to heaven story is for children and those who have not read the bible.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This doesn't explain how blind for life people can suddenly see or how people give detailed accounts of what is happening around their bodies while legally dead.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihsahn

I have always been fascinated by the "dying brain" versus spiritual experience explanation of NDEs.

The absolutely best presented argument against the "dying brain" scientific explanation, IMHO, was an interview with a Harvard Professor of Neurosurgery who contracted a rare form of bacterial meningitis, and had a fascinating experience while in deep coma, which was presented on "Through the Wormhole."

I strongly recommend you watch at least his interview portion of the program. I have embedded the full episode below - for those who are interested in this topic, from either side of the argument, it is well worth the time. For those who only want to see the above mentioned interview, it begins at 2:45 into the video.

I would love to hear your thoughts, OP, after hearing about his experience. S&F for the thread!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihsahn

I did the near death exp. without dying, I did it thru a simple form of meditation an got direct connect with God! what you fail to see is the big picture. don't care to debate God or anything else. If ya don't believe that's cool. but don't cry about when you do go from this world and face the truth. I've been there and know for a fact what is beyond this world. well educated in hard science and advanced mathematics, multiple degrees, worked in intelligence agncys. wake up call, the # storm of the century is coming, millions will! die!!
\

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
right

the issue is when you analise most related experiences, and realise people always report the same experience.
but what they see and interpret it how varies acordingly to what the individual believes in life, or expects to find in the afterlife.

its pretty much like we are logged in ats, but each one of us has an exclusive site skin and layout

is an hallucination an hallucination when all have the same hallucination?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihsahn

What a coincidence, I have a theory that supports the concept of an afterlife.

All is intelligent energy. Literally translated, intelligent energy means the capacity to do intelligent work. This means that inanimate forms innately have the ability to organize themselves into an ever-increasing complexity of patterns to further carry out their purpose more efficiently and effectively. The purpose is its definition. The purpose is intelligent work. Intelligent work mainly includes, but is not necessarily limited to teaching, learning, observing, and working. Intelligent energy is progressive kinetically.

Energy can neither be created or destroyed. This means that this intelligent energy has existed for an infinite period of time. To understand the nature of intelligent energy and how it came to be infinite is best described by mathematics. 2 times 3 is another way of saying you have 2, 3 times or 3, 2 times. When you multiply infinity by a number(I'll use the number 2) you are saying that you have infinity 2 times and 2 infinity times. So there are two answers. One looks like this: 22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222...............

The other looks like a sideways 8.

So you can see how it is likely that intelligent energy came from infinity and is still with infinity. Intelligent energy operates cyclically. Thus you have a beginning and an end and then another beginning. In between that there is an area of completion. The complex intelligent energy form serves its purpose and comes to the area of completion. In completion, for intelligent energy, there is no real identity. Thus you exist within the all as the all. This area of completion where the cycle in front of and the cycle behind are equal, there is a harmonic resonance with the entirity of intelligent energy from past to future. It is where all information is accesible. This area of completion is best defined as intelligent infinity. While it is not totally infinity, it is the totality of intelligent energy which is infinitely lasting. This intelligent infinity is what you may call consciousness.

So basically the afterlife is a period of time where you return to the infinitely lasting nature of intelligent energy wherby you have access to intelligent infinity. You lose your identity and assume THE identity for a period of time which at that instance appears as infinitely lasting and is an immeasurable quantity over time. Thus you spend eternity there, although, it may only be a few seconds from our perspective in this limited perspective of intelligent energy.
edit on 26-8-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I watched this the other night-"I survived, Beyond & Back"
This story was incredible.
The woman ,Laura, was without a heartbeat for 57 minutes.

Heres the link-

www.biography.com...
edit on 27-8-2011 by jewells because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gravity215
So your saying that its all just a dream and that those who are in the room during their death and cant quote statements made by doctors while they where dead?

Well I tend to agree with you, when you are dead, you do not go to heaven, Christ says that nobody goes to heaven until after judgement day, which as far as i know, has not happened yet. I think the friendly, when you die you go to heaven story is for children and those who have not read the bible.

Are you saying Moses did not die, but was assumed into heaven? Remember the transfiguration?

And if Moses did not die, why was the devil arguing with an angel over his body?

God is the God of the living.
edit on 27-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by skydog801
reply to post by Ihsahn

I did the near death exp. without dying, I did it thru a simple form of meditation an got direct connect with God! what you fail to see is the big picture. don't care to debate God or anything else. If ya don't believe that's cool. but don't cry about when you do go from this world and face the truth. I've been there and know for a fact what is beyond this world. well educated in hard science and advanced mathematics, multiple degrees, worked in intelligence agncys. wake up call, the # storm of the century is coming, millions will! die!!
\

I would be glad to read what you saw. Exactly what did you see was going to happen in the future?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

That is a very good question.
The accounts are all similar from around the globe. People from different countries that speak different languages all recount similar experiences

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
My grandfather had heart surgery, and was able to detail the experience though he was put under and had his eyes taped shut. I also, had a NDE, but it wasn't pleasant. I saw myself seizing on the floor. It was not a pleasant experience. My friends said I was speaking in another language.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by Gravity215

Are you saying Moses did not die, but was assumed into heaven? Remember the transfiguration?

And if Moses did not die, why was the devil arguing with an angel over his body?

God is the God of the living.
edit on 27-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

Okay, im sure there are exceptions for the elect etc, and on the other hand, it is not within the realms of impossibly that for god, all time is within the same space. Of course, for me, a Christian, i tend to follow the new testament over the old. Jesus talks about judgment day being at the end of time when everybody will be brought before god at the same time, and judged, then they will gnash their teeth and sob as those who passed the test of life go live with him and the rest are destroyed in the pit of fire, etc.

I cant see you average non profit, non son of god type person, dying, going to heaven, then getting thrown back out of heaven, then raised from the dead at the end of time, then judged, then thrown into the pit.

When Jesus refers to the dead in the NT, he says they are sleeping and personally I believe what Jesus said.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is only my second post so i'm not completely sure how to post things right on here.

Well I believe in a Afterlife 100%, visit this site if you don't believe, or even if you do just check it out it's a great webisite with all the evidence you need for the Afterlife, sign up for his Friday After Life report and you'll get never ending amounts of evidence towards the Afterlife existing.

Peace hope this helps...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xFailureByDesignx

Whoops forgot the link lol VictorZammit.com

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by Ihsahn

All is intelligent energy.

The reason I find your theory a little patchy is because all of what you say relies on this assumption, which is posed without real explanation or compelling assumption. Hmm...

What you follow on with is vaguely similar in nature to what I would believe myself, but with not so much certainity, and with fundamental dfiferent points which I won't go into too much depth over. Try to avoid those blanket assumptions =)

new topics

top topics

join