It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Of Undiscovered Species On Earth, Study Finds (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Millions Of Undiscovered Species On Earth, Study Finds (VIDEO)

Our world is a much wilder place than it looks. A new study estimates that Earth has almost 8.8 million species, but we've only discovered about a quarter of them. And some of the yet-to-be-seen ones could be in our own backyards, scientists say.

So far, only 1.9 million species have been found. Recent discoveries have been small and weird: a psychedelic frogfish, a lizard the size of a dime and even a blind hairy mini-lobster at the bottom of the ocean.

"We are really fairly ignorant of the complexity and colorfulness of this amazing planet," said the study's co-author, Boris Worm, a biology professor at Canada's Dalhousie University. "We need to expose more people to those wonders. It really makes you feel differently about this place we inhabit."

Fascinating, if true.

I'm quite certain the universe is teaming with life.

It will prove to be the rule, not he exception, imo.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. Very interesting. Makes you wonder what else is out there.
edit on 24-8-2011 by avvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I personally think that people that say life is only on earth are just plain silly. We still have no idea about the things that or in our own oceans, makes me wonder

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I completely agree, we have no idea what else is "in our own back yard". That is one crazy little crab, I would love to see one in person.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Already a thread on the subject

Total world species count put at 8.7 million

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
With all these species,surviving undetected for so long.Could also mean that many species thought extinct could still be alive and well too.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
As long as a T-Rex doesnt pop up in my back garden im happy.

top topics

join