It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Quake is over, can we talk about Irene Now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Hi all, sorry about the delay.
I am in Hampton Virginia. Today I experienced something that I never expected to experience in my lifetime.
According to reports on CNN that experience I had was shared by people in 22 states. Wow talk about cosmic.
But I live on the coast here in Virginia and I can practically spit into the Chesapeake Bay from my yard. I watch all the Atlantic storms. I've lived through enough of them here in Va for the last 2o years and before that on Long Island.
I know storms.
Sometimes I get feelings about storms but that's not for this forum.
I am watching the weather channel and checking NOAA and GOEs sites for up dates on Irene as they are now talking scary talk like storms like Hugo or Floyd. Some models even suggest further strengthening as it approaches the NC coast to a Cat. 4.
Some models show it going straight up the Chesapeake Bay. This area has never had a storm of that magnitude make a direct hit on it. Storms close to the strength have altered the shore line in significant ways.
Norfolk has been underwater seriously in much lesser storms,
I want to get this up so I will post in another box.
edit on 23-8-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
No, obviously your blank post isn't doing much talking about her either

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I see that just like the quake, this thread is over. Good job OP.

Sorta..ha.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Apparently you aren't the only one wanting to talk about Irene.

edit on 23-8-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Sorry. Again I hit the enter instead of the tab. Coming up. Got called away for a minor emergency.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

"Hurricane hurricane Irene Irene be ready read ready!"

...you heard the man!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Irene, Eileen, what's the difference?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well,the latest report is this

Which will get a little ugly,but if things change,and they will,it will go out to sea,or turn into a cat 4 ,which is real ugly.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Well,the latest report is this

Which will get a little ugly,but if things change,and they will,it will go out to sea,or turn into a cat 4 ,which is real ugly.

Thanks ...
I am soooo humiliated by how long it took to get that corrected in the OP.
Thats why I dont start threads...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana

"Hurricane hurricane Irene Irene be ready read ready!"

...you heard the man!

You're not helping me man....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

No the hurricane isn't funny - but the guy in the video is (you must admit it???).

Wishing you all the best up there with the storm and hope it all dies down before it reaches you. All the best!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I've been juggling back and forth today
between the quake and Hurricane Irene.
The quake may not be over as they just
had a 4.2 aftershock or was it another
quake? Anyway as for Irene I have
been thru several hurricanes - I advise
everyone on the east coast to be prepared.
Get your supplies now before the stores are
out of everything, board up your windows,
think of whether you will have to evacuate
or not and listen closely to updates
on the weather channels. Stay safe everyone-
I am thinking of you.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I was hoping that this would get the interest of some of the members who might be in its path.
I lived here when Floyd came through in 96 I think it was. We had 19 inches of rain over a two day period. My basement became an indoor pool and it took days to pump it out. During a later storm, Isabel in 2006 the power was out over a three state area. I saw stars in the sky over my house in the middle of a city that I'd never seen from here. It was so dark we could see the Milkyway smudge !
Early storms that have taken a direct hit on this area have changed the coast line. There is an area of Norfolk called Willoughby Spit. There are homes and businesses in this area. That area didn't exist before 1933. In 1933 an unnamed storm hit on Aug 23 ( Ironic isn't it) and devastated the area. It left that spit of land there. Thats a real good amount of sand churned up.
Looking for more storm stories while we wait and see what this she-devil is gonna bring.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

That guy needs to be put in a padded room.
What a nut case!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Thank you. Watch it you're showing your tender side there big doggy !
I am a little worried. I am not the normal fear monger type. I am the little green men type and I have not been in the UFO forum once today LOL.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

I was hoping that this would get the interest of some of the members who might be in its path.
I lived here when Floyd came through in 96 I think it was. We had 19 inches of rain over a two day period. My basement became an indoor pool and it took days to pump it out. During a later storm, Isabel in 2006 the power was out over a three state area. I saw stars in the sky over my house in the middle of a city that I'd never seen from here. It was so dark we could see the Milkyway smudge !
Early storms that have taken a direct hit on this area have changed the coast line. There is an area of Norfolk called Willoughby Spit. There are homes and businesses in this area. That area didn't exist before 1933. In 1933 an unnamed storm hit on Aug 23 ( Ironic isn't it) and devastated the area. It left that spit of land there. Thats a real good amount of sand churned up.
Looking for more storm stories while we wait and see what this she-devil is gonna bring.

I'm originally from Charleston,SC.
I have seen my share of hurricanes ,like Hugo,I had enough.
I moved my family to Kentucky because all the anxiety I endured waiting and watching these storms approach.
I don't envy you,just keep an eye on the weather channel and heed their warnings.
I have evacuated before,and the sooner you leave the better.
Try traveling 90 miles in 10 hours!!
I don't mean to scare you,but you could be just fine.
Be safe and please listen to them about evacuations.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I've been juggling back and forth today
between the quake and Hurricane Irene.
The quake may not be over as they just
had a 4.2 aftershock or was it another
quake? Anyway as for Irene I have
been thru several hurricanes - I advise
everyone on the east coast to be prepared.
Get your supplies now before the stores are
out of everything, board up your windows,
think of whether you will have to evacuate
or not and listen closely to updates
on the weather channels. Stay safe everyone-
I am thinking of you.

I felt that ! I felt my bed just slightly tremble. Like a vibration more than a tremble really. I said to hubby, did you feel that? He didn't.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I was in Hurricane Isabel, looks like Irene has the same common path.

edit on 8/23/11 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Do you have a house or something other.
Your main concern would be the storm surge being so close to the water.

When I was living down there in South Carolina,if the wind speeds didn't get over 100 mph,I didn't worry about it.
But what people don't understand is that is over a 12 hour period.It doesn't just show up and is gone.
It's a very long,slow building event.
The power goes out and all you hear is the howling of the wind and the crackling of trees.For 12 hours!
I always had my plywood numbered of course,ready to screw over my windows when needed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Thanks. Someone who knows what these days before an approaching storm can do to your composure. I become glued to the TV. Its been a few years now since the last big storm and now I can catch up on media anywhere and any time. I will be a mess by Friday. lol. I have always loved intense weather. I do not get panicky when I hear hurricane. Where I live North Carolina takes most of the punch out of the storms before we get them.
Hampton is across the river from Norfolk. It is located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Eastern Shore peninsula and the Peninsula (where Hampton is ,& capital P intended) and Norfolk form a tight little entrance to the bay. We have what you call bridge tunnels. These structures span the bay from Norfolk to both the other peninsulas and there is another north that spans the bay again to a western point on the Peninsula. The expanse is so long and there has to be passage way for freighters and tankers so the bridges become tunnels that dive under the bay.
There has been so much development here in just the time that I have been here. Things that have not been tested against this kind of storm.
The Countries defense has a major interest in this area. I am literally surrounded by military at every quarter. I think I counted 24 bases and military installations in the area once.
When Andrew devastated south Florida in 96 I was selling furniture at a local store. There were so many re-located families moving into the area because Homestead had been destroyed that I made my biggest commissions that summer. There are many many more military families living in this area. Where will they all go if there is significant damage to this area?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join