It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Rebels Launch Assault On Tripoli With Heavy NATO Bombing Runs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The rebels have made some significant advances in the past few days, and now have started their assault on the Libyan capitol of Tripoli. So far, this is the only video Ive been able to find that mentions the assault on the city. (Just the beginning part talks about Tripoli, the rest is about the battle in Zwiyah earlier.)

news.yahoo.com...

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Libyan rebels said they launched their first attack on Tripoli in coordination with NATO late Saturday, and Associated Press reporters heard unusually heavy gunfire and explosions in the capital. The fighting erupted just hours after opposition fighters captured the key city of Zawiya nearby.

Gunbattles and mortar rounds were heard clearly at the hotel where foreign correspondents stay in Tripoli. NATO aircraft made heavy bombing runs after nightfall, with loud explosions booming across the city.

A representative for Tripoli on the rebel leadership council told the AP that rebels were surrounding almost every neighborhood in the capital, and there was especially heavy fighting in Fashloum, Tajoura and Souq al-Jomaa

It seems the rebels may have done a "sneak attack" somewhat on Tripoli. Apparently, the rebels used "tugboats" to bring weapons into the city the otherday.

Col. Fadlallah Haroun, a military commander in Benghazi, said the battles marked the beginning of Operation Mermaid — a nickname for Tripoli. He also said the assault was coordinated with NATO. Haroun told the AP that weapons were assembled and sent by tugboats to Tripoli on Friday night.

Looks like the rebels picked this date, Aug. 20th, for historical purposes

Abdel-Jalil they said chose to start the attack on Tripoli on the 20th day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which fell on Saturday. The date marks the ancient Islamic Battle of Badr, when Muslims conquered the holy city of Mecca in A.D. 624.

Could this be the beginning of the final battle?

ETA- Reuters just came out with a video saying the rebels are in the streets of Tripoli. Reuters is saying Gaddafi forces are denying everything.

edit on 20-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This should be interesting. I remeber some time back that the Libyan government stated if Tripoli looks like its going to fall, they would level the city.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I remember that to. Gaddafi said he has missiles and artillery pointed at the city, basically as a last resort. I also saw an article a few days back that said Gaddafi launched a SCUD. Im not sure how powerful his SCUDs are, but either way, it wouldnt be a pretty ending.

ETA - I found the SCUD article.

Col Gaddafi fires scud missile at rebel territory as Nato braces itself for final violent showdown

Col Muammar Gaddafi's Libyan government appeared to be preparing for a last violent final showdown after it emerged that his beleaguered regime had fired a Scud missile at rebel territory as opposition forces closed in on Tripoli.

The regime is thought to possess more than 100 of the Scud B variant missiles. It agreed to destroy them in a deal to end sanctions a decade ago, but rows over their replacement mean the systems remain intact.

That launch didnt hit anything and landed in the desert. Maybe it was somewhat of a "warning" launch?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Abdel-Jalil they said chose to start the attack on Tripoli on the 20th day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which fell on Saturday. The date marks the ancient Islamic Battle of Badr, when Muslims conquered the holy city of Mecca in A.D. 624.

East Libyan Rebels are radicals Terrorists enough said, its no wonder why they picked August 20

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

That's a nice claim without a source you've got there.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I know libya still has some chemical weapons. Even though they ended their program a few years back they have not completed total destruction / neutralization. Im curious if Gaddafi might be bold enough to use them.

So far the TNC has been recognized now by mostly western countries, with the following exceptions:
Tunisa just recognized the TNC, in addition to Qatar, Kuwait, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates.

As far as the TNC and funding -
Seeking to free funds, U.S. recognizes Libya rebels

This should clear up confusion for some who think the US was trying to steal the money.

As far as the rebels and people not liking them because of what they are doing... How does one justify support for Gadaffi, who took control from the King in a coup?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I know libya still has some chemical weapons. Even though they ended their program a few years back they have not completed total destruction / neutralization. Im curious if Gaddafi might be bold enough to use them.

Ah just like the claims that the west had claims about chemical weapons that saddam supposed to have but never existed in iraq? i guess history never changes.

reuters

reuters Has a soruce thats laughbale

As far as the rebels and people not liking them because of what they are doing... How does one justify support for Gadaffi, who took control from the King in a coup?

Ah you mean the King Idrs who was an american, british puppet he allowed the creation of american bases in libya and Gadaffi was a revolutionary had every right to take him out and liberate from the western control after he liberateded the living conditions were improved.

This was already talked to death here.

edit on 21-8-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

That's a nice claim without a source you've got there.

West Point Study and from my own research and this was already talked to death here.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I don't see it. And it's only the first page.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Ah just like the claims that the west had claims about chemical weapons that saddam supposed to have but never existed in iraq? i guess history never changes.

Actually wikileaks released documents that did show Iraq had an active WMD program. Since you absolutely refuse to tell us what you consider a reliable source of info and news though, I will just assume that since the report doesnt support your argument, that its not valid.

reuters Has a soruce thats laughbale

Do you know how to do anything under than whine? Seriously, you do it in every thread when its a topic you dont like. For the love of God, how about you tell us what source of news and info IS acceptable that you use. Something that has been requested now in numerous threads, and yet you ignore the request and continue to complain.

Ah you mean the King Idrs who was an american, british puppet he allowed the creation of american bases in libya and Gadaffi was a revolutionary had every right to take him out and liberate from the western control after he liberateded the living conditions were improved.

Source please?

This was already talked to death here.
:dn

Actually it has not been. What is missing, aside from your lack of constant whining and attacks, is what you consider a valid source of news and information.

Absent that im going to just start reporting your posts since you offer absolutely nothing constructive to the threads / discussion. All you do is drag topics off base, which is annoying to those of us who wish to have a dsicussion on the issues. As stated before, the T and C requires you to support your accusations with verifiable information.

edit on 21-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Can anyone answer some questions for me In terms of Gaddafi's remaining Military power and assest's?

1.What Is he fighting with exactly? Is It mainly just mercenaries and a few loyal Troops or Is It the majority of the Libya'n Army still? Are they still In Army uniform?

2. What equipment has he got? Tanks? I saw the rebels using a T72 Tank which I gather they got from the main Army.

3. Is he likely to go out swinging? I.E Chemical Weapons ect..

Although Libya Is approaching It's final day's, I see a bloody battle for Tripoli, could go on for a few weeks depending on what rescources He has.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zakka
Can anyone answer some questions for me In terms of Gaddafi's remaining Military power and assest's?

1.What Is he fighting with exactly? Is It mainly just mercenaries and a few loyal Troops or Is It the majority of the Libya'n Army still? Are they still In Army uniform?

From what I have seen and found in research, its a combination of loyal troops and mercenaries.
NYTimes - Irregular security and Mercenaries called on to defend tripoli
BBC - Mercenaries propping up

As will be pointed out, these are Western media sources, so do some more research from non western sources to see if they jive together.

2. What equipment has he got? Tanks? I saw the rebels using a T72 Tank which I gather they got from the main Army.

The Libyan military procured hardware from predominately the Soviet Union back in the day. Since then they have been able to purchase military equipment from almost any country, including western countries, when the sanctions were removed a few years ago. They also had some American equipment prior to the coup.

That being said the bulk is older Soviet equipment.

Currently NATO members, namely France, have dropped weapons to the rebels, which to be honest im not sure if they are current or if they are older. Rebels have been using captured equipment as well, and from early reports its most likely being assisted by NATO special forces to.

3. Is he likely to go out swinging? I.E Chemical Weapons ect..

He said he will go down fighting, and said he would pretty much destroy Tripoli if it looked like it was going to fall. However he never really stated how that would be accomplished. As far as chemical weapons go, Libya gave up their program and renounced it a few years back (hence sanctions being lifted), and was in the process of destroying their stockpiles, but its a long process. I am not sure if its voluntary or if UN observers are part of that process, so no one knows what is left.

Although Libya Is approaching It's final day's, I see a bloody battle for Tripoli, could go on for a few weeks depending on what rescources He has.

I hope not... I wish he would see the end is near, accept it and move on.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

You mean rebel scum. I just watched some blatant propaganda on the BBC1 News about rebels being in Tripoli and the footage they showed had more cuts and splices than your average youtube video. Just 5 secs of AA fire into the sky repeated over and over again.
All the people in the street were chanting Gaddafi and holding up flags and pictures of him. These rebels are nothing more than cold blooded mercanaries and they stand for absolutely nothing, a bit like NATO. The fact that most come from Egypt, Tunisia and other countries is proof enough that they do not represent the will of the Libyan people. NATO and all those who support this act of evil, will burn in hell for this.

Watching these rebels shooting indiscriminately reminds me of those youths who burnt and looted their own communities. Absolute idiots who stand for nothing,

Live from Tripoli

libya nato bombing kills civilians

edit on 21-8-2011 by kindred because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

East Libyan Rebels are western hired paid Mercenaries scums

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Actually wikileaks released documents that did show Iraq had an active WMD program.

ah the fakery of wikileaks we believe in eh? when the us troops got in there were NO WMD programs Found so please dont try with that again It was a waste of lives and money and how many torture chambers were found again? only one which CNN Showed the western viewers.

Atleast saddam kepted the peace and had elections you may say but saddam always wins! and i could say the same thing about american and canadian elections why do the elites always seem to win?

As for my source on king Idrs

Link

Heres more

Khalifa Heftir - the CIA's man in Benghazi

He lived in virginia for 20 years until the protests started in Feb 17 its all connected.

aftar set up his own militia financed by the CIA, according to the 2001 book Manipulations africaines, published by Le Monde diplomatique. After entering the United States in the 1990s, Haftar took up residence in Vienna, Virginia, five miles outside of Langley, Virginia

Gaddafi and fellow revolutionaries determined to rid Libya of Western influence

But now thanks to these mercenaries rebels call them what you want are bringing back the Western influence and soon to be american bases once operational i guess history never changes it just repeats it self.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Much thanks for your'e help.
I also hope I'm wrong,there are many inocents In Tripoli and even children for some reason still....Lets hope even loyal's relise what Is best for them and everyone else.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This video sums it up. Media war is still going on and "rebels" are NATO puppets.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dario86

reply to post by kindred

Riiiight.. Apparently someone forgot to tell that to PressTV -

31 regime troops killed in Tripoli clashes

At least 31 troops loyal to embattled Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi have been killed and 42 others captured by opposition fighters during clashes in the Libyan capital, Tripoli.

Or is PressTV a puppet of the west also for reprting the same information as the western media?

'Libyan fighters make way to Tripoli' - PressTV
'Revolutionaries capture Tripoli airport' - PressTV
Blasts, heavy gunfire rattle Tripoli - PressTV

Libyan rebels seize four neighborhoods in Tripoli: TV - Xinhua news agency

Libya rebels say they control parts of Tripoli - The Daily Star - Lebanon News Source
Battle outside Tripoli, fighting spills to Tunisia

All non western media....

The Libyan Government Media reports remind me of Bahgdad Bob - Feel free to replace Bahgdad with Tripoli...
Some of his more memorable quotes -

Source

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

"Our initial assessment is that they will all die"

"I blame Al-Jazeera - they are marketing for the Americans!"

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."

"They're coming to surrender or be burned in their tanks."

"No I am not scared, and neither should you be!"

My favorite since its almost exactly what Libyan Government media is reporting

"Be assured. Baghdad is safe, protected"

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Sky news just reported that a western Tripoli army barracks has been taken by the rebels who have grabbed loads of weapons,and that people are starting to gather in parts of Tripoli to protest against the regime.
This,if true,is what the rebels have been claiming would happen once they got close to the capital.
And if true its going to piss of Gaddafi big time I would have thought,as he likes to think everyone is loyal to him in Tripoli.

They also say on Sky news that the regime is calling for an immediate ceasefire from NATO and the rebels.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Sky news just reported that a western Tripoli army barracks has been taken by the rebels who have grabbed loads of weapons,and that people are starting to gather in parts of Tripoli to protest against the regime.
This,if true,is what the rebels have been claiming would happen once they got close to the capital.
And if true its going to piss of Gaddafi big time I would have thought,as he likes to think everyone is loyal to him in Tripoli.

They also say on Sky news that the regime is calling for an immediate ceasefire from NATO and the rebels.

news.sky.com...

The worst thing the rebels could do is have a ceasefire.

They have the momentum at the moment and should just finish it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join