It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What cow is best for producing milk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hello,
I am looking for info on dairy cows. I'm sure some of you guys have already been down this road so I thought I would toss some questions out there.

1. how much milk can I expect a cow to produce?
2. what age is recommended a cow be when purchased?
3. what breed of cow is best for milk production?
4. what is best to feed a dairy cow?

Thanks in advance for any info

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
so Far in my search it looks like holstein and jersey cows produce the most milk.

dairy cow listing

I hope this helps.

what made you decide to get into cows anyway?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Wouldn't goats be better/cheaper than cows?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A female one.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Caution... use extreme care when attempting to milk any cow that has only one very large teet... these single teet cows are sometimes referred to as bulls. It is suggested that you keep your mouth closed at all times and eye protection is a must when milking a bull.

On further thought, I would not recommend milking a bull at all as the amount of "milk" produced will be relatively low and will taste funny on cereal.

Hope this helps.
edit on 18-8-2011 by deepred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
A female one.

That's recently had a calf ....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
in all seriousness the best milk cow is the holstein, however, they are bred to be domesticated milk cows, and they need constant care, they could not survive on they're own, they produce more milk than their offspring could ever need and if not milked regularly will die from infections in the udder from spoiled milk

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

1. 1-12 gallons a day
2. My first cow was one month old. I got her young so we could bond and she would be friendly. I had zero experience. I didn't want to deal with a wild cow for my first time. She produced four gallons a day and was a jersey/swiss cross. My second cow is a registered Jersey and was six years old when I got her. By the time I got her I understood what to look for and knew she was the cow I wanted over the phone. She produces one gallon a day and I only have to milk her once a day. She is further out from when she freshened. She will be a bigger producer right after she has another calf (freshens).
3. If you are wanting a large producer, get a Holstein. You will get up to 12 gallons a day and also a case of carpal tunnel if you plan on hand milking her. If you are wanting to get a milking system, look on craigslist. If you don't find one, place a wanted ad. I did that and got a lot of responses. I ended up buying a complete system for $250.00 I stole it.
4. You can feed your cow good grass hay or alfalfa. My cow turned her nose up at alfalfa and preferred grass hay. I also fed her horse feed that has molassas in it. That was her very favorite. It is also good for cows because they need the carbs and can die quickly right after they freshen if they get ketosis. They need loose minerals too.

If you do pick a high producer, you can share the milk with others. You can also make cheeses, butter, yogurt and sour cream. Back in the day, extra milk went to fatten up the pigs and chickens. Nothing got wasted on the farm.

Jersey cows are what I prefer because they are easier keepers, have higher percentage of cream, sweet disposition and the milk tastes sweeter. Their butter is very yellow compared to holsteins.

Be prepared to fall in love with your cow. They are a lot of fun and love to be brushed, scratched and played with. They learn what their names are and can tell time better than most people I know.

There is an excellent cow forum called, "Keeping a family cow." You will learn more than you ever thought there was to know about a cow.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

Awesome information. Thank you very much. I think one gallon a day is sufficient. I will hunt down a Jersey cow and make her part of the family.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

You are correct
A nanny goat will give you a min of 1/2 gal milk a day.

Goats and cows are good livestock to have some of both.

I just started a thread about the goats I purchased...yep goats require a lot less work, and money than cattle.

Link on goat milk...and other valuable info
kinne.net...

Link to already started goat thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Des
edit on 18-8-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Do you live around any Amish people? If so, find out where they have their livestock auctions and go to one. That is a good way to get hooked up with them. Ask around for farmers who have jerseys. Put the word out what you are looking for. They will take your phone number. They are very helpful. They don't want cows that are low producers. You can find a low producer for around $700ish.

Don't buy one from an auction. They can be exposed to bad stuff at auctions.

Go to that board I recommended and get advice there about where to get one. There are people from everywhere on that board and they love helping people and getting them started.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Dave is right,Holsteins will produce the most milk.These are black and white.Gernseys are much gentler and will produce enough milk for a single family,these are brown and white.

You'll have to milk them twice a day...should get about a gallon each time.

Also you have to bred them at least every two years.This is most commonly done through artifacial insemination.

It will produce a calf,but is nesissary to keep the milk coming.

What most do,if it is a cow (heffer) well you keep it or sell it for more milk production,but if it's a stear (steaks) well you feed them two years then butcher them.

hope that helps

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I got my Jersey off Craigs' list. She was at an Amish Farm. They didn't want her because she is not bred back and is a low producer right now. She will give me three gallons a day when she freshens. My last cow gave three gallons a day at the end of her lactation and I was sharing the milk with two other families. I was overwhelmed and it was a hassle.

I did not choose to get rid of my last cow. She died unexpectedly almost two weeks ago. I was devastated because like I said, you do fall in love with them. I found my new cow a couple days later and picked her up last Saturday. Her previous owner was a 21 year old young woman who was killed last spring. Second owner had emergency surgery and had to take her to that Amish farm. I needed this cow as much as she needs me. I lucked out in getting such a nice cow. If you are careful you will find the right one for you.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
tis is easy, everybody knows it was Beulah, Beauregard and the twins Larabee and Lobelias mom
the wife of Elmer lol
edit on 18-8-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
you can buy milk in your local shop.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I will check into the goat side of things as well. Does the milk taste ok? Can you tell it isn't cow milk? I never had goat milk before.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
you just want a jersey, #1 they're small and easy to care for #2 they produce the best milk for making butter and cheese#3 they make the best pets and have smaller teets to clean..you need a young breed jersey and a serge milking machine and vacuum pump and some fresh cup nipples, just make sure theres no colostrum in the milk
and homogenize

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
reply to post by Destinyone

I will check into the goat side of things as well. Does the milk taste ok? Can you tell it isn't cow milk? I never had goat milk before.

26 to 30% higher butterfat content....very sweet milk. Makes the best butter you've ever had. Also using the cream skimmed off the milk...yummy home made ice cream...very thick and rich.

Here is a comparison link on goat milk versus cow milk.

altmedangel.com...

Good luck!

Des

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
My vote is for the Jersey. They are much smaller than a Holstein and are gentle enough for any child to handle. Our kids showed Jerseys in 4 - H many years ago and they acted more like the family pet than a cow.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

and goat milk is less in fat..
less artery clogging goo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join