It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM develop 'human brain' computer chip

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

IBM develop 'human brain' computer chip

uk.news.yahoo.com

IBM has unveiled a new set of computer chips that could emulate processes of the human brain.

The ‘cognitive computers’ built with these chips are designed to replicate the brain’s abilities for perception, action and cognition- meaning that they can “learn through experiences, find correlations, create hypotheses, and remember – and learn from – the outcomes,”

The jump in microprocessor sophistication is still in the experimental stages but could develop computer systems to understand human behavior as well as record environmental measurements and issue disaster warnings
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Singularity
the Singularity
The Singularity Is Near!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Having only reaad about the singularity about a week ago, I was both excited, and apprehensive to happen upon this Yahoo article.

A part of me loves to see the jumps technology can make to enhance our lives, but by the same token, and especially true in this case I fear for how such jumps will shape our future.

So dream away, the possibilities potentially may be limitless

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What ever would we do without IBM, glad they where around in WW2, they made the process so efficient.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here come the T1000s. Wherez John Conner?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
IBM = SkyNet

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

IBM has unveiled a new set of computer chips that could emulate processes of the human brain.

The jump in microprocessor sophistication is still in the experimental stages but could develop computer systems to understand human behavior as well as record environmental measurements and issue disaster warnings ahead of time.

“Imagine traffic lights that can integrate sights, sounds and smells and flag unsafe intersections before disaster happens or imagine cognitive co-processors that turn servers, laptops, tablets, and phones into machines that can interact better with their environments,” he added.

And imagine when it's bonfire night and said "intelligent" traffic lights detect smoke, think a car is on fire and shut down the roads?

I wouldn't get too excited yet...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This is nothing to get excited about. All that's happening is TPTB are developing the technology to make YOU obselete. The average person will never be rewarded with the benifits of singularity. Leading transhumanist, Ray Kurzweil, has written many books on the topic, and claims we will have the brain completely reverse engineered in the near future.

You too can live forever, if you can affotd it!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cointelprotroll
This is nothing to get excited about. All that's happening is TPTB are developing the technology to make YOU obselete. The average person will never be rewarded with the benifits of singularity. Leading transhumanist, Ray Kurzweil, has written many books on the topic, and claims we will have the brain completely reverse engineered in the near future.

You too can live forever, if you can affotd it!

And the soul? (if it exists)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I, for one, welcome out new robot overlords.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

well lets see....a human would likely know that a bonfire was happening near by so if these chips are as good as they say then it would be able to discern a real fire from a controlled bonfire. It might get it wrong from time to time, like humans, but it is also capable of learning from its mistakes, and remembering outcomes, probably better than humans.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I work for IBM, and they haven't told us about this. (although I found out other ways)

I can say though, that our facility is more secure (certain areas) than the pentagon. It's located in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. My ID has RFID chips in it, so when I enter the building it saves the time and location of where I entered into a database. They can see where and how long I went into the restroom, for example.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3632af8a6ee1.jpg[/atsimg]

My job is nothing compared to developing human brain chips, I can only imagine what that facility must look like...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Does your pay get docked if you take too long on the crapper?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

They sure did..they also sold and set up calculation computers to the Nazis during WW2..but thats for another thread I guess, anyways thanks for the read op

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

well lets see....a human would likely know that a bonfire was happening near by so if these chips are as good as they say then it would be able to discern a real fire from a controlled bonfire. It might get it wrong from time to time, like humans, but it is also capable of learning from its mistakes, and remembering outcomes, probably better than humans.

That's exactly the point, a computer can't discern a real fire from a controlled bonfire.

Computers do no have emotional intelligence or situational intelligence, they are constricted by the bounds of their programming.

Why do non computer people fail to understand this?

A computer program will only be as smart as it's programmer...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

That's exactly the point, a computer can't discern a real fire from a controlled bonfire.

Computers do no have emotional intelligence or situational intelligence, they are constricted by the bounds of their programming.

obviously they will baby it first with simulations, they aren't just going to throw an artificially intelligent computer into the mix without proper education of it first.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

which is exactly the point of the article, that these new chips have the potential to discern, and essentially think for themselves.

The tech in development is clearly an attempt at increasing or possibly tearing down altogether the bounds of their programming.

Why do non computer people fail to understand this? A computer program will only be as smart as it's programmer...

non computer people are the only kind we've got for now.....if this technology is implemented and works as they say then you may actually see the first computer people something like I robot. Did you not read the article or just not understand it? These computers may have the ability to actually learn things that programmers haven't preprogrammed into them.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The jump in microprocessor sophistication is still in the experimental stages but could develop computer systems to understand human behavior as well as record environmental measurements and issue disaster warnings ahead of time.

“Imagine traffic lights that can integrate sights, sounds and smells and flag unsafe intersections before disaster happens or imagine cognitive co-processors that turn servers, laptops, tablets, and phones into machines that can interact better with their environments,” he added.

And imagine when it's bonfire night and said "intelligent" traffic lights detect smoke, think a car is on fire and shut down the roads?

I wouldn't get too excited yet...

Dont worry, I think the 'over ride' function was invented a while back.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here comes the great "Singularity".
2nd

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Yes they may only be as smart as their programmers in the beginning, but these computers can learn, adapt, and remember from their mistakes. So how long before they out smart the programmers? You give a computer the power to learn knowledge then you give them the power of everything. Whats to stop them from making decisions based on how they perceive things or from what they learnt, or from whats right or wrong. I dont know but this kinda scares me, but at the same time is so awesome.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
For me, this is already happenig-
Has you can read in this article www.abovetopsecret.com... , it says " humanity could be wiped out when a more advanced civilisation accidentally unleashes an unfriendly artificial intelligence (..)"

They are already preparing us ...

It started in the economy (e.g, stock market's) and is already instaled in major forum sites and bloggs to induce change fragile and mind's and opinions ..etc

It won't take long to the take over...the question is, how are he going to stand for it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join