It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MY nemesis, the yorkshire pudding.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Dont telll anyone but ive been using a certain grannys or aunties frozen yorkies for years now. Now i consider myself to be a good cook, in fact an excellent, cook its one of those things i do well. Now a couple of weeks ago i used a batter pack mix and they were awesome, massive. NOw a couple of days ago i tried to make my own,i used` boiling hot oil actually lard, the correct recipe and well, if iran want some weapons of mass destruction they could throw these and i can assure you of instant death.
Now the only error i think i may have made, and would love to understand why, is that i used self raising flour and the recipe recommends plain flour, surely the self raising would help the process along. Anyway eh up ya northeners any ideas .
I love love love yorkshires.
I mean i really LOVE THEM.
THANKYOU in advance for your help guys

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The flour was a problem I think.

I make them every now and then. the wife loves them, and so do I...
The secret is a very HOT pan and grease, and very cold batter.
I use a plain recipe from the internet...I'll try and find it for you.
I also use silicone rubber pans. So they pop right out.
It's the Eggs that make them rise, I'm pretty sure. Very much like a souffle.

This is pretty close,but I use oil, not butter.
allrecipes.com...

PS, I refrigerate the batter for at least 2 hours.

that way the sides cook faster than the middle, so you get the nice cup-like structure.
edit on 18-8-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I LOVE my Yorkshire puddings.....! If you use self-raising you get a far more dense texture than with plain flour, so go for plain every time.

My ultimate secret tip for perfect puddings is after you have mixed the batter, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave the mixture to rest for an hour or so before putting in the oven.....Perfect light, HUGE pudding every time!

Any oil will do, including lard, as long as it's hot, although goose fat is my favourite... Good luck! x

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

ok, try this works for me every time,

first things first the rules, oven must be at about 200 degrees, hot but not raging, preheat your pan, i have a small ramakin of oil ready and a brush,you must make your mixture atleast 10 minutes before you need it, once i mix my batter, which needs to be done with a hand mixer for a good long time in order to create some gluten so that your puddings are more stretchy than like a cake texture, i put it into a jug to makke it easy to pour into the fairy cake tray quickly so not to let it all cool to much. Now the temerature of the oven is very important, all ovens are different, your puddings will rise alot but if you take them out to soon they will sink, you need the oven hot enough to start the rise but not to hot that they will burn before they have dried, and you cannot open the oven until they are done or turn down the oven either, sounds like a pain but when you have done it a couple of times its about as easy as cooking can get just remember the rules,about 30 to 40 minutes before you need them, take the pan out of the oven brush each cake hole with one dip of oil each, then immediately pour in the batter mix and return to the oven, now the recipe,

4oz self raising flour
3 eggs
1/2 pint milk
salt (start with a large pinch, change it next time if it was to much or not enough)

good luck, and dont forget to try them with ice cream and golden syrup

p.s. this was a jamie oliver recipe, best one i found
edit on 18-8-2011 by THELONIO because: more to say

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I pride myself on helping you out, but I'm afraid that you have gone way out of my area of expertise, luckily I've conscripted a true Yorkshire man to help you, he should be along soon

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

The reason you use plain lour is that the eggs are the rising agent. If you want normal yorkshires use the same amount of flour as the eggs weigh. If you want super dooper need to protect the top of your oven then add another egg. Never open the oven until they are ready and hot hot fat.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Plain flour, 3 eggs and pop an extra egg white in along with yer other dodahs..
Mine turned out lovely last Sunday, 1st time lucky thank God, didn't want mother in law laughing at me.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

allrecipes.com...

that way the sides cook faster than the middle, so you get the nice cup-like structure.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

allrecipes.com...

new topics

top topics

join