It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Death Threat King Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Montreal police make arrest in international Twitter threats case

Police started investigating the online activity of a Montreal man following a deluge of complaints from around the world about his alleged habit of threatening people online.

More than 3,000 people signed a petition calling on police to investigate reports of death threats against atheists and secularists.

Some people allegedly being threatened said the Montrealer, who goes by the online moniker “David Mabus” among a number pseudonyms, has been at it for nearly two decades.

www.thestar.com...

Sometimes is takes a village to prompt proper action. I'm surprised as many as 3K needed to sign a petition in order to put a stop to death threats online. I had no idea it required so much work... death threats being what they are. But then again, these are just ordinairy people around the world and not some hot shot politician or whatever.

What does it tell you about the law and all us Joe & Jane Doe's? (excluding wealthy members, of course)

edit on 17/8/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Some people allegedly being threatened said the Montrealer, who goes by the online moniker “David Mabus” among a number pseudonyms, has been at it for nearly two decades.

I didn't know twitter's been around for decades?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I didn't know twitter's been around for decades?

Obviously that means just not on twitter...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Good point... maybe he worked for DARPA 20 years ago...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Mabus? Guy must have been obsessed by Nostradamus.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

you know, that's what I thought, but I read the article and there's no mention of anything suggesting that. I suppose he could mail letters under a pseudonym and they wouldn't be able to catch him.
my comment was mostly intended as a joke.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

David Mabus [snip] is a former computer salesman, based in Montreal, Canada. He is obsessed with Nostradamus's prophecies and with music by Depeche Mode, which he claims contain prophecies. He spends much of his time posting vast numbers of incoherent death-threat laden rants, aimed at atheists and skeptics. He also claims that he has won the JREF Million Dollar Challenge, and that he has been cheated out of the prize money.

pharyngula.wikia.com...

I, uh... snipped out his real name. You know, so we don't influence the jury

A little digging finds amazing information on his modus operandi.

Sounds (and looks) like a real charmer, this one.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Good point... maybe he worked for DARPA 20 years ago...

I've been online for 23 years.
edit on 2011/8/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Around 15 years for me, your local Luddite.

Twitter went public in July 2006, so he likely was on lots of other social media previously

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Star, for working in Luddite into a conversation.

I believe he has been on other social media. The online handle rings a bell, so I think I've run into him online at some point. Canadians are over-represented on the web, so it is entirely possible I have.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

top topics

join