It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Name Of God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hi All,

I've posted a few topics and responses in the religious forums here and thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback in terms of what people believed the "name of God" to be.

Is it a phonetic word? Is it a description of something spiritual? Is it literal (ie: "Todd" or "God").

What do you all think the name of God is.. This term is used throughout the bible.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
"I am."

link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
Hi All,

I've posted a few topics and responses in the religious forums here and thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback in terms of what people believed the "name of God" to be.

Is it a phonetic word? Is it a description of something spiritual? Is it literal (ie: "Todd" or "God").

What do you all think the name of God is.. This term is used throughout the bible.

Bernard!!
second line hehehe

link   
You have to go BEFORE the Babylonian speech mess up to get close.

Phantaneomeran

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

According to the Arthur C. Clarke short story The Nine Billion Names of God, you are stepping into dangerous territory by asking that question.

"Look," whispered Chuck, and George lifted his eyes to heaven. (There is always a last time for everything.)
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.

edit on 17-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
G-d has many names in Judaism.
Names of G-d in Judaism
I don't believe in Jesus or any other but G-d.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
THE CREATOR

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
seriously why ask a question when no body knows for sure... which god you referring to theres hundreds of gods!

www.lowchensaustralia.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

What is the Name Of God?

Coward...

But only because it never responds to any of my taunts...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

I would tell you what the name of God is, but I'd prefer to remain anonymous.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Which God are we talking about here? Because there have been many names for the Abrahamic deities.

Yahweh
Jehovah
El Shaddai (spelling?)
Allah
Elyon
Elohim
Adonai
I Am
ETC

At one point the Biblical God even identifies his name as JEALOUS. This is one of the reasons I find it funny when Christians won't allow themselves to say Jesus Christ or Oh My God as exclamations as though God's name is God and Jesus' name was actually Jesus.

Then there are non-Abrahamic gods like Zeus, Odin, Thor, Quetzalcoatl, Enlil, etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
hmmm thats a hard one, id say gods name is, errrrrm ...................

god. there done lol

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well, the bull god which the New Testament Bible unknowingly worships is "Baal" or "El"

Hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I've given this a lot of thought, and came to the conclusion that the name of God is not so much a word or a name in the usual sense... it's a sound. Specifically, it's the sound you get when you have a harmonic Doppler phase shift over a layer of white noise. Like the sound a car makes as it passes by you on a slick road. Or a jet as it flies quickly overhead. God doing a flyover?

It's approximated by the Tetragrammaton -- Yah hav veh (wh)
But if you stretch it out and run the letters together, you get: EEEEYYAAAAAOHHHHWWWWHHE...
It's an EEYOWHEE, which repeats over and over.

I'm just wondering if it doesn't have some kind of relationship to the multiple-sound throat singing of the Middle-Asian people of Tuva, who use harmonic overtones to sing. That is the prehistoric Eden, after all.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Everyone knows it's "Gareth Edwards" worlds greatest ever rugby player

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

The storm god was Yhwh. But he's not a very nice guy.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

What do you all think the name of God is..

GGTAATTAATGGATTATTTGGAATATAATAGGGGAGATATAGATAGAGATAGATAGGGATAGGATATATATTTTAGAGAGAGAGGGGGGGGATATATATTTATATATATATAGATAGATAGGGG x 72
edit on 8/17/2011 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Hey rwfresh -

As I understand it from reading the bible, "god's" name as identified as such is Yahweh, or YHVH for the hebrew letters yod heh vav heh as someone else mentioned. The rest are titles ('god' = "mighty one", etc.).

YHVH appears in the old testament whever pretty much all translations say "the LORD" capitalized like that.

Eliyah.com has an article here with a more in-depth study linked, discussing his views on why the name is pronounced Yahweh.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
God is indescribable and has many names that describe His character. When a person takes the name of the lord in vain, this means they take on the name of His character but do not display the actions necessary to honor the name they claim. So by this definition, the name of God is His character.

Paul states this in 1 Corinthians 13:

12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I posted a thread yesterday naming God as love. LINK In the material world, finding love (Agape) is the point of finding faith in God. This is our lesson here in this life. Although He cannot be fully described by our intellect, love is what He represents to us in this world of opposites. Good and Evil are both contained in truth. Apart from realizing both, a soul cannot fully appreciate divine love. All contradictions and paradoxes in our reality reflect this revelation to our minds eye. When we realize the truth of divine love and express it to others, this truth sets us free. Faith, Hope, Love, Justice and Righteousness

Hi All,

edit on 17-8-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The name of God inside the finite realm can be whatever the audience chooses to react to. The name of God in the infinite realm cannot be spoken on this side.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join