It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: India risks facing its own Arab Spring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Analysis: India risks facing its own Arab Spring

www.reuters.com

Democracy means no voice, however small, must go unheard. The anti-corruption sentiment is not a whisper-it's a scream. Grave error to ignore it," Anand Mahindra, one of India's leading businessmen and managing director of conglomerate Mahindra Group, wrote on Twitter.

Hazare's arrest on Tuesday, only hours ahead of a planned fast until death against graft was the last straw and sparked spontaneous protest across the country of 1.2 billion people.

The young and old, rich and poor, without apparent political affiliations, took to the streets in a rare voice of solidarity -- a potentia
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is not predicted to be a major uprising like Egypt according to the article, but with so many people and so much military technology and might, I can only hope things end peacefully. But what if they do not?

This could prove to be a major powershift in Asia proper. If India falls to chaos, what does China and Pakistan do? Do they try to "contain' the situation or do they expand their borders?

And let's not forget that India has 1.2 BILLION in population.

Definetely something to keep our eyes on.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-8-2011 by Dreine because: Additonal info.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I am surprised India has managed to remain a single nation for this long. There are considerable ethnic, cultural and linguistic differences between northwest, northeast and south, not to mention separatist movements in several states and border disputes with neighbours.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

I'm more surprised Pakistan still exists, to tell you the truth!

India will always hold their own due to their 1.3 billion population of a majority of Hindu's.

link   
India has suffered greatly under Islamic Jihad. Entire swaths of land have been handed over to the never-appeased muslims.

India falls to Jihad before our eyes and still we do nothing.

Imagine if we here in America where forced to cede Alaska and New York in an effort to appease the muslims and their never ending violent Jihad?

India has given the muslim hordes Bangladesh and Pakistan and they want more. I think it is time India begins taking back these lands.

link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

Agreed. I see a lot of parallels between India and the United States in those regards. Both very large nations by land area and population, with differing dominant beliefs based upon regionality. Such as the way the US North and South by and large do not agree with each other very much... different cultural norms, political leanings, religous/non-religious views, etc.

The major difference being we don't have a nuclear armed Pakistan sitting on our western border

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

When you look at how many areas of Pakistan are no longer under full government control, and when you look at how al-Qaeda infiltration is spread through their government and security forces, I'm not that sure that it does still exist in any meaningful sense.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Actually a big cause of unrest in several parts of India has been Hindu Nationalists murdering Muslims and burning down/demolishing mosques.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I know what you mean but the parallels aren't really there. The difference between a white guy in Seattle, a black guy in Atlanta and a Jewish guy in Boston are nothing compared to the differences between a Hindu guy in Kashmir and a Hindu guy in Assam. It's all a matter of degree.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Yes, but dont forget the muslims deserve it
Anyways, it would be good to see some footage of this.
So riots in india are any time now?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Another article related to the possible upcoming crisis in India...

India protests swell as Anna...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

That was an interesting article. It speaks of a restive middle class, but I'm wondering about a restive lower caste.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The mood across all states Is pretty anti-establishment right now but as long as the law enforcement agencies are on their payroll I have my own doubts about the positive outcome of all these mass rallies and protest marches..I reside in Bombay and we are witnessing hold ups on a massive scale but not big enough to stop the mahinery

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Everyone says we here in America are on the verge of collapse, but alas it is all the countries of the world except America which are experiencing rioting and mass civil unrest. As far a I know, people are still coming to my Wal-Mart buying up I-pads, HTC phones, direct Tv and more without much worry about social unrest. I think America is as stable as ever.

end rant.

I dont believe that the Indian authorities will instigate any kind of brutal violent crackdown on protestors though. Historically the people of the Indian sub-continent are a highly cultured less violent people. I mean yes they have had infighting and civil strife in the past, but it is usually not on the scale of violence such as that in the Middle East or Western powers. Certainly they will work something out. They may be as populous as China, but they dont have nearly as tight of an Iron Fist on their citizens as their neighobor.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NocturnalPhantom
Actually a big cause of unrest in several parts of India has been Hindu Nationalists murdering Muslims and burning down/demolishing mosques.

That's only 1% of the story though

Many times muslims will have mosques in hindu areas and put the speakers up so high while islamic chants are being sung.
The problem with this is firstly those hindus aren't muslims so they don't want to hear chants especially at that volume, seconldy India, especially hindus, are very family oriented and studious.

So firstly families couldn't spend time together successfully because of the loud noises and kids couldn't study with that racket.

Also many times people from those mosques would go kill a cow and pour the blood of the cow all over the walls of hindu temples.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Must be all the love and peace that their books teach them. Ain't religion wonderful!

new topics

top topics

join