It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One-hit Wonders That Were Too Good To Have Been So

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We have all heard the phrase one-hit wonder, and in many cases it is applicable. Many times a band puts out a great song that captivates the world, when in fact they are a bunch of hacks who just got lucky. This thread is not dedicated to those hacks.

This thread IS dedicated to those artists who, whether through misfortune or mismanagement, have had their entire careers overshadowed by that one annoying overplayed hit. So without further ado, here is a small sampling (by no means comprehensive) list of geniuses and great bands whose potential was overshadowed by the one monster smash that doomed them.

If this topic strikes a chord with you, post one of you favorite one-hit wonder bands' songs that IS NOT the "one hit". Everybody knows those songs, please do not post them. Post evidence for artists that have been mislabeled as one-hit wonders, if you feel so inclined.

At the top of the list is Warren Zevon: numerous albums of folk-rock genius songwriting were overshadowed by the one annoying Werewolves of London, which he didn't even completely write. With Zevon, like any great artist, it is difficult to select one or two tunes to define them, but here is a small sampling of Warren's really great songs, the first one of which was not released during his life (giving you an idea of just how great he was):

And how about the Crash Test Dummies? Almost no one knows anything besides "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm", but how about this song that is far superior?:

And most people know Loudon Wainwright's "Dead Skunk In the Middle of the Road", but did you know that Loudon is one of the greatest songwriters of the last hundred years? NO? Well, here is proof...

edit on 8/15/11 by HenryTwoTimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm not gonna lie. I didn't much care for this idea. I was just making a quick scroll down, to see your choices, and then most likely close the thread. Until I got to this part at the bottom.

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes

If this topic strikes a chord with you, post one of you favorite one-hit wonder bands' songs that IS NOT the "one hit". Everybody knows those songs, please do not post them. Post evidence for artists that have been mislabeled as one-hit wonders, if you feel so inclined.

This is just my opinion, which may not be shared by anyone else, but you may want to think about editing, and moving this detail up to the top. That way others will know what you are wanting, as soon as they open the thread. I'll have to think of a good one, but just wanted to share this thought with you, first.

'Backwater' was their radio hit. It is a good song. Even if the name does not ring a bell, I think that some would recognize that song, after hearing it. Many may know this song, that was on the ~'Nirvana - MTV Unplugged'~ album. However, some have probably never heard the original version.

[color=SkyBlue]Meat Puppets - 'Lake Of Fire'

edit on 8/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Thanks for the advice. I tend to not take constructive criticism well unless I'm way past half-in-the-bag, but since I am way past it I thank you. I'm new to this whole thread-making thing (hence the non-life-altering threads), but your idea makes sense. I have edited the OP. Hopefully it draws some attention.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryTwoTimes

No problem. I actually do like this idea. Mainly because, it is going to be more difficult than I had originally expected.
This will be challenging.

The Meat Puppets, are who first came to mind, and I thought of a couple more. Then I decided to cheat a bit, and search some lists of 'one hit wonders.' That has left me a bit confused though, because some of the bands on those lists, I completely disagree with.

I am thinking that I may have to venture back down that scary road. The road that leads to the 80's hair metal glam bands. Thats a scary path to travel though.

ETA:
Ok. I'm gonna have to look at this from a slightly different perspective. Some people probably do actually consider 'Faith No More' as a one-hit wonder, because the only song they are familiar with is 'Epic.' This gives me more motivation. Mike Patton is a genius, and others need to know this, but I will not be able to express that fully.

Faith No More ~ 'Falling To Pieces'

Faith No More ~ 'Midlife Crisis'

Faith No More ~ 'Zombie Eaters'

I would never consider these guys one-hit wonders, but I have never listened to very much radio. As far as I am aware, 'Epic' was their ONLY actual radio hit.

If you disagree. Let me know, and I will go much more obscure later on.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

No problem. I actually do like this idea. Mainly because, it is going to be more difficult than I had originally expected.
This will be challenging.

The Meat Puppets, are who first came to mind, and I thought of a couple more. Then I decided to cheat a bit, and search some lists of 'one hit wonders.' That has left me a bit confused though, because some of the bands on those lists, I completely disagree with.

I am thinking that I may have to venture back down that scary road. The road that leads to the 80's hair metal glam bands. Thats a scary path to travel though.

Ha, don't worry about cheating...I cheated too! I searched one-hit wonders and all that business, but the three I came up with were from my own mind. I don't know nearly enough about the catalogs of all the one-hit wonders to know who is good and who is lucky, but I'm hopeful that some other members may come up with something good. It's a tough topic, to be sure, and the Meat Puppets are a good choice, because how many people know anything that wasn't on (even though more than one tune was played on) Nirvana "Unplugged"?

So, anybody who might be reading this, cheat if you want, just come up with some good stuff!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Good thread! I'm going to have to do some searching, but if you've read my threads, you may know I am fan of these guys: EVERYONE knows their one hit.

CJ

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Nice...excellent choice...i remember seeing these guys on some talk-show-or-other a year or two ago when they played something new and I was thinking that they were way too good to just be associated with "Whip It"...

I admit my ignorance in having never heard of anything else, but apparently they are a pretty good band.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
These guys had two, maybe three mainstream videos back in the day, but they are one of the finest bands of the end of the 20th century...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Did somebody mention glam? Getting away from one-hit wonders a bit, but damn I love:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Did somebody mention glam?

Noo!! You must have heard me wrong. Maybe it has to do with my accent.
To you, it may have sounded like I said [color=F0754F]"Hair Metal Glam Bands"

Actually though, I was only stating my dinner plans.
I'm going over [color=F0966A]there to [color=F0966A]settle, & eat a [color=F0966A]Ham Sands(wich).

Main hit = Cars
[color=SkyBlue]Gary Numan - 'Down In The Park'

the single - 'Lunchbox' from Marilyn Manson has a great remix of this song.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Did somebody mention glam?

Noo!! You must have heard me wrong. Maybe it has to do with my accent.
To you, it may have sounded like I said [color=F0754F]"Hair Metal Glam Bands"

Nothing wrong with "Hair Metal Glam Bands", Marc Bolan was just doing what was popular, and he did it well...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
S&F Buddy...Hell of a good hockey song!!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
S&F Buddy...Hell of a good hockey song!!

I have heard that Hollywood-type celebs universally regard that as the best song about hockey that has ever been written.

And on top of that, the genius comedic movie guru Kevin Smith is currently writing and producing a movie based on the song with the same title. Should be great!...as long as it is more in the vein of "Mallrats" than "Chasing Amy"...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Excellent tunes! As I said before, I did some research and Faith No More was one of those bands that jumped out at me as one who was great but I didn't know enough about. "Epic" is so great that one can easily how it could have overshadowed the entire career of a great band...thanks for sharing some other great tunes!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I can't say for sure because these guys sold a lot of records, but I never really learned more than this album.

I guess I posted their "hit" - anyone remember it?

CJ

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Deee-Lite! They were virtually ignored by their record label, because too many of their songs were socially conscious. The lead singer, Kier Kirby, believes the song Fuddy Duddy Judge sent them from chart toppers to relative obscurity,

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Excellent tunes! As I said before, I did some research and Faith No More was one of those bands that jumped out at me as one who was great but I didn't know enough about. "Epic" is so great that one can easily how it could have overshadowed the entire career of a great band...thanks for sharing some other great tunes!

It pleases me to read this comment. Most people are not familiar with Mike Patton, but that is not something that he seems to care too much about.
In my opinion, his voice-box is one of the most beautifully versatile instruments ever created.

Now I will introduce you to some 'NO-Hit Wonders.'

[color=F0B922]Peeping Tom ~ 'Mojo'

[color=F6358A]Warning: The following video contains images that may be disturbing to some viewers.
[color=F6358A]Parental Discretion is advised.
[color=E0FFFF]Mr. Bungle ~ 'Retrovertigo'
Don't worry. It's nothing too bad, but it is just probably safer, that I added that warning.

[color=E0FFFF]Tomahawk ~ 'God Hates A Coward' (Live)

[color=F0B922]Peeping Tom ~ 'Five Seconds'

Those↑ are just a few of Mike Patton's bands/projects. Overall, the videos that I have posted in this, and in my previous post, are an extremely small sample. If anyone likes any of these songs, then I highly recommend for you to delve deeper into the music of Mike Patton. The variety is astounding.

There are a couple of short threads here on ATS, that contain a few more of his songs. Neither received much attention, but that might be a good place to start, if interested.

Mayabong's - 'Mike Patton Tribute Thread'
This was one I started, that is simply titled: Mike Patton

[color=E0FFFF]Some (not all) of the projects he has been and/or still is, involved with:
Faith No More ~ Peeping Tom ~ Fantômas ~ Mr. Bungle
Tomahawk ~ Lovage ~ The Dillinger Escape Plan

It's been awhile since I've watched the Faith No More video for 'Epic,' but I'm pretty sure that is the video, where he is actually wearing a 'Mr. Bungle' t-shirt, as a sort of way to promote himself.

edit on 8/16/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

top topics

join