It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those We Call Cavemen Were All That Remained Of Humanity After The Last Time We Destroyed Ourselves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by SirMike

Those would all succumb to the destructive nature of the elements. All metals eventually oxidize. Some would be buried. Others would be repurposed and then eventually lost.

Google the baghdad battery though. A very interesting ancient artifact. Or just google OOparts in general. Heck ill go find a link.

I like history channel's life after people series, it's an interesting take on how quickly things break down when left to the elements.. without people around to maintain and repair the things that exists presently, nature comes in and reclaims it rather quickly.. bacteria and insects have free reign, animal and plant life.. not much is left even after a couple hundred years.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
www.ooparts.us...

And my absolute favorite
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Once you factor in natural disastors or even the ocean levels rising after the ice age it begins to make sense.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
For those of you who think there would be lots of evidence I suggest you watch the series life after people.
www.history.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

No you're not

I've followed information on the Hopi before and I too have heard about our movement into a new age or 5th Sun/World. It's sickening how we have the power to ultimately change the face of this planet so that it's no longer recognizable. So does nature, but that's a natural process. However it's not natural for us to kill off species of animals endangering them or dropping atomic bombs. We take things on this planet for granted and we need to realize that we are all one.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Nature wil always find a way to balance itself out. There have been numerous mass extinction of millions of species over time that we had absolutely nothing to do with. Eventually they are replaced.with new species. The world will keep turning once we are gone. Things always evolve and change. This doesn't give us the right to do as we please but we will learn our lessons in time, either the easy way or the hard way.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Metal? Hardly. 1000 years tops exposed to the elements.

Nope. Just look at the Antikytheria mechanism, a clockwork device over 2000 years old and still intact enough to recognize what it was. And it was made of delicate metal construction. SirMike is absolutely right, today's construction would last thousands of years largely intact and would still leave recognizable remnants tens of thousands of years into the future. The pyramids are simple stacks of stone and look at how they've held up. Construction is my field, I have over 25 years experience and training in materials technology. I don't think most people not involved in the field realize just how durable today's alloys and materials are.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Sorry, but I cannot buy it. Any truly advanced civilization will leave fingerprints on the land that will unmistakable. Although buildings facades may crumble, stone masonry work, foundations, metal implements, radioactive, and synthetics will survive in some recognizable matter for 10,000’s of years.
maybe they were not a paper/metal/plastic based society like we are

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

S&F

Yes, yes, yes!!! I believe this theory with as much certainty as can be had with the massive amount of uncertainty!

It sure knocks the the lights out of any ancient astronaut theory.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I think the carving in stone came after the fall of the last civilization. Most of the carvings we see today are only a few thousand years old. The last ice age ending roughly 12000 years ago.

If we had a mass extiction event tomorrow the only survivors would be rural folk or those who.escaped the cities with the clothing on their backs. Most of our history is recorded electronically or on paper. Both which wouldn't last more than 100 years if not properly cared for. Rural people are not the record keepers in society and many are not as up on world events. Our efforts would be shifted into survival mode leaving education and record keeping at the lowest of priorities. Technology that does survive wouldn't last long due to lack of replacement parts and know how to keep running. We would be back to pioneer standards in under a generation.
thanx for your comment...very well said...this is exactly what i think happened to us, we threw ourselves back ino a stone age state!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Interesting timing, I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine about this over the weekend.. I personally believe technologically advanced societies have lived here before and either have fallen, or left the planet.

He cites our digital capabilities and the fact no other civilization has had that technology as proof that we're the most advanced our planet has seen and my response was that it's really just our perception of technology.. I think the reliance on "digital" and "electronic" will ultimately be more of a problem than a benefit.. plus I suggested what if this technology, or something like it, did exist? what do you think would happen after millions of years.. we're becoming a green society, slowly.. and as we do .. the less likely it will be for remnants of our existence to stand the tests of time.. digital media won't last millions of years, the magnetics that contain your data will become weak and be unreadable over time.. what if that's already happened before..

I told him - imagine that tomorrow a large magnetic storm hits the planet and wipes out our electric grid, destroys the satellites in orbit and blanks the digital media on the planet? square one.. many would die off as food production ground to a halt, many would die off from violence, disease and famine.. the shift would be away from technological advancement and directly to agriculture as a need.. it would reset us essentially to the beginning and would take generations to even have a semblance of recovery if the disaster was big enough to wipe out all of the electronics on the planet.. think very hard about technology you own that doesn't have some sort of computer involved? .. even your car has a computer.. gas pumps.. water systems..

It's quite easy to imagine that another civilization as advanced, if not more advanced.. was once here.
thanx for your comment....if we were reverted back into a prehistoric state, all our concerns would be focused around food,shelter and clothing...we would be cave men once again and the world we left behind would drift and fade into myths and legends!!!
edit on 15-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by TheMaverick

I aint talking about lasers, space ships and plasma screen TV's but some of the more mundane things like lightbulb filaments, stainless steel surgical tools, and plastic bottles.
eventually...everything will return to rust and dust and just blow away....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I personaly believe that we have been through all of this before to some extent, and perhaps a number of times. It does pose many questions about technologies and where their traces are. I just don't know the liklihood of the old ones using plastics or anything like that.
Maybe there was a species of tree that made resin suitable or comperable to plastics, but was biodegradable. Of course this tree was probably used to extinction.

It is fun to speculate. I've pondered on these lines for many years.

Most of it stems from reading a book when I was 12 y/o. "Cave of the Ancients" by Tuesday Labsang Rhampa.
(spelling might not be right on the authors name)
It was an excellent read that opened a universe of thought for me.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

I put up a link to that device already.
I understand that some things would survive. However 99% of it would not. Surviving structures like the pyramids are an example but our methods of determining histories are skewed.
I am a strong believer in a past civilization. The quote you posted was only a reply to someone stating that there would have tobe LOTS of evidence, I was merely stating that not much would survive, especially if the ocean levels were to rise and glaciers wipe whole continents clean, which they have.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
reply to post by blocula

A never ending cycle of destruction and then recreation. I agree that there are civilizations that have been lost to us through natural disturbances like rising sea levels.

I too agree. According to the Hopi, we are now living in the 4th world, and are about to enter the 5th world. Question is, will humankind destroy it also? It is my strong belief that if humankind were taught from the beginning that the planet they live on is their Mother God, they would then take care of it and honour it, instead of domineering over and destroying it. Am I alone in this thought?
no not at all...the earth knows when its time to shake some more fleas off her back and we help her destroy ourselves by wounding her night and day.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

www.ooparts.us...

And my absolute favorite
www.msnbc.msn.com...
thanx for the links...a really interesting array of evidence

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
if any of you out there are anywhere in the northern part of the united states or europe right now where you are standing or sitting was not so long ago beneath 1 to 2 miles of ice!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I believe it's very possible there were past civilizations that were maybe as advanced as say the Roman Empire, but no more. I see claims all the time that plastics will last for literally thousands of years in landfills - so if there have been technically advanced societies, where is all the plastic? They just didn't make plastic? I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Antikytheria mechanism survived a thousand years in very poor condition, but enough that it could be mostly "reconstructed" in 3d and understood, that's a fair statement to make but part of what helped preserve the metals helped destroy the rest of it.. it really has a lot to do with surroundings and construction.

Look at the titanic, it's metal and is mostly deteriorated away now.. they don't think it will last.. and that was only 1912

The Antikytheria mechanism is more the exception than the rule.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
I believe it's very possible there were past civilizations that were maybe as advanced as say the Roman Empire, but no more. I see claims all the time that plastics will last for literally thousands of years in landfills - so if there have been technically advanced societies, where is all the plastic? They just didn't make plastic? I doubt it.
as i said before, maybe they were not a paper/metal/plastic based society like we are...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join