It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous supporters, why is it ok...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When reading through the threads on here about anonymous infiltrating a network, stealing information or coordinating a ddos attack, there are plenty of people that show outright support for these actions. The general reason is because there has been some form of social injustice and therefore the actions of anon are acceptable and needed.

But, what makes a group of people breaking laws ok? What makes them so worthy of praise?

If my local police force beat a homeless man to death, similar to the Fullerton PD story, would it be ok for a mob to attack the police station? Maybe set it on fire, deface the property or attack the homes of the officers involved?

A well formed civil protest, which is legal for now, would seem like a better approach. Breaking laws to redeem a social injustice shouldn't be something that gets held up as good and acceptable.

What makes the actions of anon ok?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Nothing, but have you ever heard of fighting fire with fire?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The problem here is that anon does not partake in violent protest, and as such your example is pointless.
Anon would not burn down a police station, that goes against everything they stand for.
Do some more research on anon, it doesn't seem you understand their intentions in the least.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DigitalControl

One could claim that this kind of cyber-action is a variety of violence against property. To deface websites and prevent servers from operating correctly could certainly be construed as cyber-violence. Attacking individuals' accounts is something that Anon is perfectly willing to do, and that corresponds to attacking the police men's homes.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by DelMar

Nothing, but have you ever heard of fighting fire with fire?

Of course, so you're ok with breaking laws if it feels justified to you?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
While in concept I would probably support anon, in reality I can't condone illegal activity of this sort. (mostly because of the attack on the playstation network)

IF the gov tried to shut down the net or some craziness like that, then I may reconsider.

Two wrongs don't make a right. And more importantly, their actions may result in exactly what we don't want, which is restricting free and unfettered access to ALL information.(short of nuke plans/codes etc.)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalControl
The problem here is that anon does not partake in violent protest, and as such your example is pointless.
Anon would not burn down a police station, that goes against everything they stand for.
Do some more research on anon, it doesn't seem you understand their intentions in the least.

I'm not talking about their intentions, I'm talking about breaking laws because it appears to be justified in their eyes. My example is a violation of laws, and so is what anon is doing. I'm wanting to know what makes their law breaking acceptable to some?
edit on 8/15/2011 by DelMar because: extra words : )

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It just seems TOO easy for the Anon to hack some #, have the corporations cry about their "scraped knee", then have the government regulate accordingly. Thats what they want to do anyway. You know, youve got to draw up a scheme for the sheeple to believe. I am on the fence, teetering.

And as for the facebook hacking rumors, with businesses using facebook for their websites it does take away from the graphic design/ web design market.
edit on 15-8-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't exactly call myself a supporter of Anonymous, but I wouldn't say that I'm against them either. Obviously, I can't stop them, so my concern for them is that they will find legal means to their ends. Prison sucks, period. Unfortunately, people will do what they're gonna do. I do enjoy my internet freedoms, but I would gladly turn it off completely to save one life. And I do think that by being anonymous, they are obviously not looking for personal attention as some say. I think there is and always has been great power in free speech, and it is a serious threat to those in power (although truly only the corrupt ones). If Anonymous wants to fight corruption, I say go ahead; just do it legally if you care about your future. Otherwise, be prepared to face the consequences of your actions, and be a man about it. Don't use extortion to free the ones that get caught; they made their own decisions, and now they should live with them...

If you declare a war, expect casualties...
edit on 8/15/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"anoonymous" went through basicly a civil war over this issue. one group went one way, one is pissed, trying to tell people this is exactly how you get a web killswitch, you piss off the useful idiots.

think people please

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

Okay, so they've shown their strength online, but this is not their only weapon. Their greatest weapon is leadership if they will take it and use it in a way that pulls people together, without causing as many casualties. Educate your troops on the other tools you have at your disposal, for they are legion as well...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
they made their own decisions, and now they should live with them...

If you declare a war, expect casualties...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

blogs.villagevoice.com...

theyshould at least let the kids that that they "made an example of" go
but lets put children behind bars for "a maximum sentence of ten years" (means a plea bargain) to get the fear of authority back in em

it only became about strength when everything got hacked so easily by ANYONE who can surf the web. they wanted it to keep happening. how many video game companies got hacked in a row? at what point does the top of the company that hasnt gotten hit say "hey, it seems hackers may move onto us?" no, they let it all happen, its just more icing for the cake. there is no leadership, because there is no goal other than freedom of speech.

what "anonymous" is doing now isnt helping that at all. its doing the opposite, and its about to get bad...
edit on 15-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I understand that they are well intentioned.

But they are essentially terrorist, right?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
True peace cannot be done without sacrifice thats what i believe anyways thats my 2 cents

But There will always be people who combat the evil or what they view as evil.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MrOysterhead

they are essentially kids. most likely some of the more intelligent ones that see the prison that is being buit around us, and dont want to be silenced.
it was once about speech, as a riot can have once been about a noble cause

just look up everyone they have arrested. 80% under 25.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrOysterhead
I understand that they are well intentioned.

But they are essentially terrorist, right?

Well intentioned, I guess you could say that about some of them. In any group there will be people with good intentions though.

I wouldn't say people that participate in anon's actions are terrorists, that's a bit overboard.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I really think that in order for Anonymous to be successful, they need to look like the good guys. Although it's too late to act on some things already, here's an example.

Guy gets beaten to death by cops
Anonymous holds fundraiser to help with funeral expenses, or for the family of said guy
Media comes to the rescue, giving Anonymous a chance to share their thoughts on what happened
and passes out fliers to the onlookers who tell their friends how great these anonymous guys really are
The "Idea" gains support
Nobody goes to jail
Repeat chorus

Sure, being an outlaw is fun to some degree, but being real is much more rewarding...

A agree with you 100%, that the kids who got arrested should not be made examples of. I have always been vocal about the war on kids. Unfortunately, the law does this as well for publicity and control. If anonymous wants good publicity, they have to make it for themselves...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

That would be a much better way to get exposure for something that you believe in. Well put. But it would require getting out of the house and away from a pc for a while, so maybe that's why it's not happening.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

I guess what I was trying to say is that their attacks are "terror-like" but maybe guerilla warfare is more appropriate.

As far as the age thing goes, it doesnt surprise me that the age is so low. That age group has never know a world without the internet being readily available to everyone, so naturally the would be more adept to hacking.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

"Anonymous helps youth computer camp, (trying to hack their system while there, fixing exploits.) held massively successful internet campaign to interest our children to all the computing potential that will be available to them in the coming years how to protect your rights..."

"anonymous catches LOOTER from half way around the world using facebook, trying to sell lcd screens(archived text included)"

...but no.....facebook......dammit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join