It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS becoming and anti American troops propaganda site?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Seems like always we have a group of people on here constantly posting anti troop rhetoric. They have that right due to the very military they so frequently insult. It seems the mods here choose to turn a blind eye to it.
It's o.k. to imply someone is a child rapist, a child killer, a psychopath....the mods will have your back. It's o.k. to suggest murdering our troops and anyone thinking about joining the US military, again the mods turn a blind eye. It's o.k. to suggest hooking our troops on drugs to deal with their mental pain and anguish, again nothing from the mods. But, insult one of them or use language without by passing the filter, as they are prone to do, and wow, you're some sort of criminal here, personally I find all of the above actions far more horrendous than bad language, which is also forgiven by the mods if you're in the anti camp. I ask you when does it end? Seems more and more like this place is an anti American military propaganda site.
Most of the people posting these things have no idea what's it like to be in the military, nor what we go through once out, yet they seem to be the most vocal. Using military members deaths to further your agenda is just sickening, and yet seems to be the norm here? Just wondering, when was the change made?
I seriously thought about leaving this site, but I figure maybe I'll hang around until the mods finally ban me, cause it sure seems that this nonsense will never end.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

We don't hate the soldiers or the military in general. We hate the way in which they are USED by the politicians in charge to oppress countries that don't agree with the corporate American agenda.

The best way to support our troops IMO is to demand that congress BRING THEM HOME and stop putting their lives on the line for corporate greed. Stop ordering the troops to do things that violate their consciences and basic human dignity; then the suicides and PSDS won't be such a problem anymore.

I hate the way the country uses the military and abuses its soldiers. They have nothing but my sympathy; they are but pawns in a game they don't understand.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

So insulting the troops and making the suggestions listed above is the way to deal with your anger at the government? Kind of weird logic.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Can I see a link to a post where someone suggested killing soldiers or killing those looking to join the military?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Just remember that this site isn't JUST Americans.

So don't be offended when a non-American has an opinion. In fact, get used to it. There's a whole wide world out there. So stop being so xenophobic and start understanding that people have and are entitled to their opinions.

If we have to tolerate the screaming pro-war crowd, then expect a little bit of retaliation from the more sensible minded.

you're welcome.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Well thats your opinion and you have a right to it, my opinion is that the american military are a bunch of murderers.

You cant blame anyone for that since it is the actions of the American military which lead people to have these opinions. And if you dont agree with that opinion how about giving your own opinion supported by facts. Its simple show me how the American military is such a force of good and I will change my opinion but untill such time I can only judge them on the facts available to me. Illegal wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya plus all the proxy wars they wage via drones. For every life they save I can probably find twenty or more killed in collateral damage.

The military brings this down upon itself by engaging in illegal wars and by killing innocent civillians.

We recently had a few American GI`s training in our town and I can promise you that they received alot of flack, not only from the civillians bat also from our soldiers. If you go around proclaiming to be the saviour of mankind yet engage in illegal wars and the bombing of civillians then expect to be hated.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I hate it when American soldiers die as a result of corporate greed. I know they are just innocent kids who probably didn't have any idea what to do with their lives after hight school or were driven by blind patriotism to "defend their country" against the "threat" of terrorism.

Those were my reasons for joining strait out of high school (except the terrorism part). I was young, idealistic and stupid. At the time, I was proud to have taken part in the Desert Storm invasion and thought I was fighting for my country. Over time, I have learned of the REAL agendas behind the Iraq invasion and no longer look back with pride on my military service. I was a young fool back then who didn't pay attention to the larger picture around me and most of the soldiers in the military today are the same way.

I HATE the way this country uses the military today and, sometimes I just can't help but hope that we lose the wars we are currently involved in. I don't want to see our soldiers lose their lives but, when I see our military on the wrong side in most every conflict, I most certainly don't want to see them succeed.

Its a fine line to walk when you don't believe in your country's foreign policy but, don't want to see the innocent pawns (the troops) hurt as a result of your opposition. In the end, I think opposing the wars in every way we can to get our soldiers brought home is the best thing we can do to really support our troops.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I myself am not a fan of the United States Military or any other military for that matter. I think it's the 21st century and we should be beyond childish nationalistic fighting. I have never said I want them to die or for people to abuse them though. I don't even advocate spitting on Ted Bundy or Joseph Stalin. I love my brothers and sisters in the military as much as I love my brothers and sisters anywhere on this planet, but I don't love them for nor do I have love for their profession and I really don't like the attitude of most of them.

The attitude I have always picked up from military personnel and the people who support them is one of anger and intolerance and I really feel like they are just as much a part of the problem as the people they follow the orders of. I don't think "just following orders" cut it in 1945 in Germany and I don't think it cuts it in 2011 in the United States, or any time in the United States or anywhere on Earth.

If you don't want to hear people criticize the United States Military, you are a complete hypocrite because the United States Military, falsely by the way, believes they are protecting freedom. Which includes criticism and refusal to worship and revere the troops.

Honestly, I hate hurting people's feelings, but I'm gonna be brave and not side-step around this and say "I support the troops but not the war". I don't support either, because without troops, there is no war. Military people are always harping on about responsibility for your actions - why don't you heed your own advice and realize these wars are wrong and en masse refuse to participate in them.
edit on 15-8-2011 by m1991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
They have that right due to the very military they so frequently insult.

Can you please provide information to support this claim? I didn't think so..

The closes possible support of this claim could be the soldiers of WWII. No war in my lifetime has been fought to protect my right to say anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Reply to post by adifferentbreed

Maybe, about as much as the site is becoming a pro shapeshifter site

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

i agree it´s not ok to imply anthing.
but if a soldier raped a child he´ll be called a rapist, pure and simple.
but that´s besides the point.

as i´ve said in the other thread, i´m not anti american or anything.

2 questions:
first, do you view it as a personal attack if someone has an anti-war view / opinion?

second, if it's not ok to state some things about soldiers, is it ok to state that you rather see millions of people die, over the life of one soldier?

i'd say that is anti-muslim.

so what's the difference?

edit on 15-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Seems like always we have a group of people on here constantly posting anti troop rhetoric. They have that right due to the very military they so frequently insult.

how are they defending my right to have an opinion fighting, in afghanistan and iraq ?

It seems the mods here choose to turn a blind eye to it.

the mods probably agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how 'uneducated'.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A lot of people are anti military and quite rightly too.

UK soldiers are advised not to wear their uniform in public because of the reaction they would get. Contrast that with when they defended the Falkland Islands against the Argentinians, they were treated like heroes because they went to war and defended UK citizens (and they got no help from the US then) and not bomb someone for profit.

The US military is the worst example of its kind, starting wars left, right and centre.

I have zero respect for anyone fighting for profit, I have a huge amount of respect for people defending their home country like in WW1 and WW2.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by FortAnthem

So insulting the troops and making the suggestions listed above is the way to deal with your anger at the government? Kind of weird logic.

There was a saying in WW2
When the Germans shoot, The British duck
When the British shoot, the Germans duck
When the Americans shoot, everybody ducks.

www.slate.com...
24% of US deaths in the gulf war were from friendly fire, its likely to be much higher with cover ups and even higher for allied troops.

Thats why people dont respect them because they have a shoot 1st think later reaction.
Contrast that with the Falklands war where 5 out of 255 UK killed were from friendly fire and this was without any identifiers.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
There are a few bad apples in the US army, there is no doubt about that. YouTube and other sources are pack with them.

The question is: Should we talk about them as if every one is a bad apple. My answer is yes.
The US Army is a community a big family. Where everyone looks after one and other. That means the bad apples are being carefully disguised, hidden, excused unless cought red handed and cant be hidden any more.

If the US Army wants to shape up its reputation, they have to start with them selves. They have to set the standard they want people to know, remember them by.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
At times, soldiers on this forum might get accused of being brainwashed, perhaps; or of following orders without exercising any thought about what they were doing.

That's the most that we will do to you.

What does your government do to you?

It orders you to go to a country, and risk being killed or maimed, when that outcome has nothing to do with protecting your own country's freedom. The government is ordering you to go there, in order to protect the operations of corporations like Halliburton, and others.

While you're there, you end up doing things like pulling civilian families out of their living rooms, dragging them into the street, and shooting them. You also end up doing things like killing children in cars at checkpoints, because you're that nervous about the cars possibly containing foreign guerillas.

This has an effect on your mind; because you see, neurologically normal, empathic human beings, weren't designed or intended to kill each other. So you end up with extreme PTSD. You end up hating yourself. You end up not being able to forgive yourself.

Sometimes you'll also be in scenarios where there are things like depleted uranium or other hazards buried in the ground. Because your government considers you disposable, it very often won't bother issuing you with protective gear, so you'll get sick. In the case of Iraq, this was called Gulf War Syndrome.

Then, assuming you make it that long alive, you come home; often after you've also seen a number of your friends die. When you get home, the government continues to consider you disposable, and so barely gives you any money to live on. You'll usually be that far gone mentally that you won't be capable of holding down a job, but the government isn't going to provide counselling for you, because that would cost too much money...and they just consider you cannon fodder anyway.

Apparently, however; even after your government is willing to treat you like an entirely inanimate piece of rubbish, you are still willing to rhetorically defend it on these forums. That is genuinely impressive loyalty.

But it is also misplaced.
edit on 15-8-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
All views are welcome on this site provided the posts are civil, on topic and remain within the spirit of the Terms & Conditions.

As this is a fairly large site, it only stands to reason that eventually every member will come across another with an opposing point of view. It's something that inevitably happens when a diverse group of people merge under one setting.

This thread is now closed.

new topics

top topics

join