It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is bugging me about the existence of the "Soul"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've always questioned whether or not we have a soul. I often times lay in bed and ponder this until the alarm clock goes off.

Last night I stumbled upon a senario where I truly questioned its existence. OKay so bear with me a moment and really try to look at this from every angle. So I was lying there thinking about Cryonics and how it might be possible to be frozen until a later date, when medical advancements, would make it possible to live forever. I'm not gonna go into the living forever bit, that's for another time.

Now lets say you're frozen in a suspended state of animation, where you are not dead, but technically not alive either. Here's where I question the souls existence! Since you're not technically dead, then does the soul just stay put inside your body until it's revived at a later date? Since you're not technically alive, is the soul free to move about where it will, until it's sucked back into your body when your revived?

Hrmmmmm......

Then you have consciousness which supposedly originates in the brain. Since you're frozen and there is nothing functioning inside you, then consciousness would not exist, therefore, you technically do not exist.

Anyway, I'm steering away from the topic but you get what I'm saying, soul = consciousness and vise versa.

Does this make any sense or just to me?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I've thought about this also. The belief is that when you die your soul leaves. If this is true, and then they unfreeze you, would you be soulless like some kind of creepy mannequin?? Like the Frankenstein monster maybe. I find it hard to believe your soul would just hang around until then.But what do I know...interesting question.........

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

I agree with your connection between conciousness and the soul ~ scientists cannot scientifically state where or what conciousness originates from, but as for your cryogenics situation ~ its just speculation but I believe your soul could explore other realms while still being tethered somehow to the body, unless it wanted to abandon the body and possibly if your body was re-animated later on perhaps a new baby-soul would then inhabit your old body, whilst your soul has been off to bigger n better things.
S and F for the post

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
You should compare it with being in a coma, you're on the other side, but the door is still open.

It's hard to grasp but I am planning a thread in the future about all of it.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Dear chrismicha77,

Stop worrying, understand what you asked. Descartes said, I think therefor I am. But Helen Keller showed us more, she experienced and was, no symbols and no words, just emotion. That which feels those emotions is your soul, it exists and it is you. How you take it and how you deal with it, that is you.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think the same thing that happens when your alseep..just way longer.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Soul on ice

I understand what you're saying, but aren't you just unconscious when you're frozen in time? What I believe is these bodies are just vessels that an entity chooses to inhabit. At this point in time we have no technology that can detect a soul, sort of like how we had no idea dark matter existed. Your brain cells haven't died yet and your body hasn't deteriorated yet, so technically don't you still "exist".

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
I've always questioned whether or not we have a soul. I often times lay in bed and ponder this until the alarm clock goes off.

Last night I stumbled upon a senario where I truly questioned its existence. OKay so bear with me a moment and really try to look at this from every angle. So I was lying there thinking about Cryonics and how it might be possible to be frozen until a later date, when medical advancements, would make it possible to live forever. I'm not gonna go into the living forever bit, that's for another time.

I question the soNow lets say you're frozen in a suspended state of animation, where you are not dead, but technically not alive either. Here's where uls existence! Since you're not technically dead, then does the soul just stay put inside your body until it's revived at a later date? Since you're not technically alive, is the soul free to move about where it will, until it's sucked back into your body when your revived?

Hrmmmmm......

Then you have consciousness which supposedly originates in the brain. Since you're frozen and there is nothing functioning inside you, then consciousness would not exist, therefore, you technically do not exist.

Anyway, I'm steering away from the topic but you get what I'm saying, soul = consciousness and vise versa.

Does this make any sense or just to me?

What would be determining factor in stating,"So now lets say you're frozen in a suspended state of animation, where you are not dead, but technically not alive either".Question how are you determining the subject is alive?
edit on 13-8-2011 by Daedal because: Punctuation

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
There does appear to be something going on with research in to 'Near Death Experiences' and Reincarnation. There is one old study where someone actually weighed a small weight loss at the moment of death, but it is hard to find any recent scientific data to confirm or deny. Some alien stories get into soul feeding and soul transplants. There are also mind control programs that try and break the soul of a person by carefully taking their body onto the brink of death, multiple personality disorder is one common side effect of these programs.

There is heaps out on the internet about it, but is a tough one to actually sort out the facts from the fiction.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Good question! I wish I knew. I ponder these types of questions all the time.

So many question, no answers....

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Frogs release an antifreeze into their blood so when they freeze tissue doesn't get damaged.

They are completely frozen.

When they thaw out they have full knowledge/capability to function as normal. They don't start chewing on trees.

Therefor memory/soul is kept.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

Soul on ice

I understand what you're saying, but aren't you just unconscious when you're frozen in time? What I believe is these bodies are just vessels that an entity chooses to inhabit. At this point in time we have no technology that can detect a soul, sort of like how we had no idea dark matter existed. Your brain cells haven't died yet and your body hasn't deteriorated yet, so technically don't you still "exist".

But are you really frozen in time as time passes by around you,unaware.Could this be considered time traveling?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Ahhh....what a "paradox" indeed! Kinda like the cat in the box but substitute the cat with the soul and box with the body...nice!

Maybe your soul would just get tired of hanging around and move on?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If you want to confuse yourself more look into how the spirit plays a role It could help you come to a conclusion but definitely make it way more complex.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
You say freeze but do you know that, that is even possible? Like frozen? Or even a chemical, if something like that wear invented whos to say that it would not put you in a comma like state?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
reply to post by Daedal

Ahhh....what a "paradox" indeed! Kinda like the cat in the box but substitute the cat with the soul and box with the body...nice!

Maybe your soul would just get tired of hanging around and move on?

I think preservation of the body would be possible for extended periods of time,but would at some point need to be animated.But understanding how to preserve our experiece and beliefs while remaining suspended is another question?And then again re-introducing ourselves to ourselves,hmmm.At some other point in the future and or time,where space would be irrelevant to time dormant,which would be measured in centuries.That's a lot of space and time.
I don't think the soul would move on,it may even get closer to it's self.Definitely something beyond our understanding.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

It's like shutting down a computer and reconnecting to the internet 20 yrs later.Boy that would be a mess.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

edit on 14-8-2011 by Daedal because: Double posted?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Interesting idea you thought of and I might help you understand that.

You are thinking purely in a 3D point of view as we see everything where time is a constant and moves at this pace we call life. Some theories I have read about higher dimensional beings and existences don't see time as linear like we do.

Time is irrelevant in relation to your soul on a spiritual/higher level as everything exist at the same time. So to your soul if you were able to be reanimated it would be the same as simply blinking your eyes.
edit on 14-8-2011 by IncognitoGhostman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Since you're not technically dead, then does the soul just stay put inside your body until it's revived at a later date? Since you're not technically alive, is the soul free to move about where it will, until it's sucked back into your body when your revived?

Way I see it is that your soul would be trapped in your body, no way to move about (astral projection is what im assuming you were referring to?) until you were thawed again, but who truly knows?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join