It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 : Going nowhere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I remember when in the Marines in the 90s the V-22 was going to be the USMC's 21st century medium transport. We were holding on to CH-46's (many from Nam - with bullet patches!) instead of buying Blackhawks so we could replace the CH-46's with V-22's.

But operational testing left a lot of Marines dead. In 2000 the commander of the first soon-to-be operational V-22 squadron was killed in a V-22 crash, and this pilot had more rotor-wing aircraft piloting time than any other US Marine (over 20,000 hours).

The fatal crashes occur during the dicey fixed-wing to rotor-wing transition.

The project's on hold and now Marines are still stuck with 40-year-old helicopters. In one squadron I was in a lieutenant was assigned to the same bird his father flew in 'Nam. (No kidding.)

I just don't think the V-22 is going to work. Marines love innovation and are stubborn but I think the technology isn't up to the concept yet in this case. I think they should buy Blackhawks and wait another 20 years for a VTOL transport that is a sure thing instead of pursuing the V-22. Military projects as big as this one die hard, though. I don't think it's going to end up operational - just too dangerous to transport 20+ troops in each one. Regular helicopters are dangerous as it is.

[edit on 18-8-2004 by taibunsuu]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I agree that the Corps should put this one on the back burner. The technology is too complex. The idea fails the parsimony test, in my view.

It is always too easy for casual observers to pass judgement on the viability of military hardware too soon, but this has been going on for twenty years. In the meantime, Marines are being shuttled about in the Imperial Battle Frog (CH-46), a forty-year-old aircraft. The CH-47 is the larger Army "Chinook."

[edit on 04/8/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The CH-47 is the larger Army "Chinook."

[edit on 04/8/18 by GradyPhilpott]

Oops, looks like I'm suffering from CRS. Thanks for correction.

I also heard there are difficulties and limitations with picking up loads.

I think a pilot would have to have extraordinary good nerves and skills to make the rotor transition, even with the computer assistance.

I don't think this concept is practical with two rotors, and four rotors would probably be too ungainly.

posted on Mar, 31 2023 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Despite terse criticism from some military men and the Cato Institute, the V-22 was cleared for service and has proven to be extremely adept at taking USAF and USMC personnel to combat zones and rescue spots at speeds faster than either the MH-53 or CH-46. The Navy is now deploying a carrier on-board delivery variant of the V-22, the CMV-22B.

new topics

top topics

join