It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introduction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hello. I first learned about this forum from someone on the Reuters live feed for the Fukushima Dai-Ichi disaster coverage. Since then I've been reading all of the postings about the disaster, since it's not being covered in the mainstream media. I've always been interested in Japan and issues related to nuclear power, so this disaster really weighs on my mind and my heart. The giant 1000+ post thread has kept me coming back to this forum over the last months, and I've finally decided to contribute to the discussion and hopefully add something worthwhile to it.

I'm a Japanese-English translator, so I signed up with the intent of clarifying some of the information coming out of Japan that hasn't been translated by the mainstream news. I don't typically translate technical documents relating to radiation or nuclear power plants, but I've read up enough on the topic to be able to clarify some things.

I also really like how this forum is one of the few that actually attempts to facilitate a civil discussion. I hate how every intelligent discussion online is ruined by a lack of civil discourse, and I look forward to the opportunity to discuss some pressing world issues here. That said, I'm probably not going to fit in too much just because I tend to be very skeptical about paranormal activity, doomsday theories, conspiracy theories, UFOs and so on. I like to see hard data supporting a theory, so I'll probably limit myself mostly to the Fukushima Dai-Ichi related threads for now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being part of this community, because this definitely one of the most interesting forums I've ever found.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its mostly intelligent discussion, until it turns into a 40 page dispute about hot pixels or a smudge on the screen.

link   
double
edit on 12-8-2011 by R1220518 because: (no reason given)

link   
triple!?!

link   
quadruple !?!?! what is wrong with my computer!? ooops...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by daniero

Welcome to the board then. I'm certain the folks in the meltdown thread will be very happy to have you aboard.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes, you really need a healthy dose of skepticism or you'll end up with a healthier dose of paranoia
I've seen some posts go way off into the deep end and off topic, boiling down to nothing more than a flamefest, but it doesn't happen all that often, the Mods are pretty good about keeping things running mostly smoothly.
I've read most of the thread so far, and look forward to what you have to offer.

edit on 8/12/2011 by D4nny because: Lol R1220518! That was the best multiple post I've ever seen on here

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by R1220518
Its mostly intelligent discussion, until it turns into a 40 page dispute about hot pixels or a smudge on the screen.

Haha, yeah, I've seen a little of that. Turning a JPEG artifact or dust on the lens into something earth-shatteringly important seems a bit obsessive to me. I guess I can understand it though, when we're really not given much information to go on.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daniero

Hi daniero, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4nny
reply to post by daniero

Welcome to the board then. I'm certain the folks in the meltdown thread will be very happy to have you aboard.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes, you really need a healthy dose of skepticism or you'll end up with a healthier dose of paranoia
I've seen some posts go way off into the deep end and off topic, boiling down to nothing more than a flamefest, but it doesn't happen all that often, the Mods are pretty good about keeping things running mostly smoothly.
I've read most of the thread so far, and look forward to what you have to offer.

edit on 8/12/2011 by D4nny because: Lol R1220518! That was the best multiple post I've ever seen on here

Thanks! Yeah, I've always had a healthy amount of skepticism. That's also partly because I don't want to be paranoid either. There's a certain truth to "ignorance is bliss" so I think there are some things I'd rather not believe or know about, because it's just going to make me crazy.

And yeah, that was an impressive multiple post.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. I enjoyed your opening post. Your writing style is clear and concise. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MitchL61
Welcome to ATS. I enjoyed your opening post. Your writing style is clear and concise. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Thank you. I'm always trying to improve my writing abilities, as writing is basically my livelihood. I'm generally rather lenient on badly written English, especially because of my experience living in nations where English is not the native language, but that still makes me all the more depressed when native speakers of English can't seem to put together a coherent argument.

Anyway, I checked out some of your recent topics, and it looks like we could have some interesting discussions on the topic of religion as well. I'll be looking forward to it too!

join