It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will it take for another dust bowl to start?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
12 more days of triple digit degree weather, and Texas will brake the record witch was set for most days in triple degree weather in 1923. Texas has not had rain for at least 100 days. Arizona is having massive sand storms.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a couple more years of drought and then some wind but it doess't look like it will happen now.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
People plowing up too many fields at once, and not using crop rotation.
That is what mostly caused the Dust Bowl not the drought so much. Farmers were plowing up a lot of the grasslands (in places like kansas and nebraska) combined with dry and hot weather the open soil from the plowed fields dried out and was swept up like a sand storm in Egypt.

That's one reason why farmers don't grow a crop on the same field two years in a row, combined with other reasons such as preventing mineral depletion and disease.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It would never happen now as bad as it was then because unused fields are planted with CRP grass to hold the soil in place. At least it is in my area. But, if all that CRP were to burn, it could get close.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Last Summer, Russia had its hottest ever. Remember what happened? Their bread basket region caught fire from the heat alone. The smoke choked cities for thuosands of miles. The world is still recovering from the food loss. If things continue this way, it shouldn't take long for us to see it happen in the good ol' U-S-of-A. I hope it doesn't, but we all know what hope is worth...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...
science.nasa.gov...

these sites could explain something about the current US weather. The History Channel aired a two- hour documentary concerning the Dust bowl earlier this year, there was an ominous comment at the end about changes and the possible return of the Bowl. I'm not sure if they were serious or if they just wanted a catchy end to the program.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Blackbird1973 because: I just wanted to add some additional info

new topics

top topics

join