It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the general public think developing a video game takes skill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Does the general public think developing a video game takes skill?

I mean not the programming or the graphics API but the actual game mechanics itself.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
not as much "skill" as it takes creativity to come up with some new concepts ...

otherwise every game would be good ... and thats obvious not the case

btw i play alot, and at the moment iam in a game crisis
i cant find any game i like wich i havent playd already ^^
edit on 10-8-2011 by Replica because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Replica

I prepaid Deus Ex: HR last night for it's Aug 23 release. They threw in Deus Ex GOTY to keep everyone busy with something until then. Dungeon Siege III was a huge disappointment, but this sequel might actually turn out well. I'm waiting anxiously for the 23rd. Next major date..if ever...is Diablo III.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Replica

I never knew how hard it was to develop a game until I started making my game. 6 months later I am still working on it.

I am playing this broken MMOFPS pc game called darkgunz. Addictive,very unbalanced and fun.
edit on 10-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would give one, actually, screw it, both of my legs to be chosen for the upcoming Diablo III Beta... That game looks sheet hot

I knew Dungeon Siege III would be a disappointment, they never really got the hack and slash formula right with 1+2 so I didn't get my hopes up. All I remember from 2 was ridiculously long, boring dungeons and the most linear and un-enthralling plot possible! The only good bits were the pets that you could feed your junk and "evolve" and the first hour of game play haha
edit on 10/8/2011 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
mhhh...

yeah Deus Ex HR looks really nice, even if iam not that into singleplayer egoshooters ...

till now i played a lot of bfbc2 and also bf3 alpha

The games iam going to get this year will be ... bf3, dead island, skyrim, diablo 3 (hopefully 2011 release ...)

yeah thats it ... and now iam just switching between ats and youtube xD so boring

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replica
mhhh...

yeah Deus Ex HR looks really nice, even if iam not that into singleplayer egoshooters ...

till now i played a lot of bfbc2 and also bf3 alpha

The games iam going to get this year will be ... bf3, dead island, skyrim, diablo 3 (hopefully 2011 release ...)

yeah thats it ... and now iam just switching between ats and youtube xD so boring

What about MW2 and Gears of War 3? You getting the new Zelda?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

What about MW2 and Gears of War 3? You getting the new Zelda?

MW3: I really liked cod 1 and 2 ... i also tried mw1+2 and black ops ... but nah ... iam not into that kind of game where u either camp or run in circles shooting everybody in the back to get a high killstreak for some NUKES ...

GoW3: yeah really nice game and the online modes where u play the beasts ... but i stopped playing 360 after i got a ps3 ^^ (i prefer not to pay to play a game online wich i already bought ...)

Zelda: mhh ... the last nintendo console i owned was the ... N64

edit on 10-8-2011 by Replica because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by constant_thought
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would give one, actually, screw it, both of my legs to be chosen for the upcoming Diablo III Beta... That game looks sheet hot

I knew Dungeon Siege III would be a disappointment, they never really got the hack and slash formula right with 1+2 so I didn't get my hopes up. All I remember from 2 was ridiculously long, boring dungeons and the most linear and un-enthralling plot possible! The only good bits were the pets that you could feed your junk and "evolve" and the first hour of game play haha
edit on 10/8/2011 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

I like what they did with Diablo 3.

PC is getting the all the best games.

Doom 4
Diablo 3
Unreal 2007
SSFVI AE
Devil May Cry 4
Hitman 4,5
StarCraft
Eve

360 and Wii still have some good points.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Well most games these days have such an incredible amount of physics that it is essentially replicating reality, so yeah a huge amount of skills is required in my opinion. You have to think creatively and dynamically which in turn can limit each other depending on what you want to achieve!
That's why it's a high paying job! However if you really loved it, I personally wouldn't do it for a lot unless I was saving up for a rainy day.

Jamie.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I couldn't imagine how much goes into it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Well most games these days have such an incredible amount of physics that it is essentially replicating reality, so yeah a huge amount of skills is required in my opinion. You have to think creatively and dynamically which in turn can limit each other depending on what you want to achieve!
That's why it's a high paying job! However if you really loved it, I personally wouldn't do it for a lot unless I was saving up for a rainy day.

Jamie.

Yeah I hear ya.

This is the same type of disrespect a lot of amatuer music producers go through.
edit on 11-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I would say it takes more time and patience.

But your the TC tell us how you see it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
I would say it takes more time and patience.

But your the TC tell us how you see it.

People think that programming the game's engine well is game design. Or that shaders/lighting/ and poly count make a good game. Yes and no. Its just a piece of the pie. I can't make music I am not going to pretend that making music is easy or I can pick it up within a few weeks and become Paul Oakenfold or Jimmy Hendrix.

That's crazy!

That's like saying you can paint with a brush and use oils on a canvas so within a few months I'll be as good as Donatello.
Wrong.

new topics

top topics

join