It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia develops new submarine supermissile that can pierce antiballistic shield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
rt.com...

The new Russian liquid-fuel Liner missile is world’s most advanced submarine-based strategic weapon with range and payload capabilities surpassing every model deployed by any other country, its developer says.

The submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) Liner can carry up to 12 low-yield MIRV nuclear warheads and has a payload/mass ratio surpassing any solid-fuel strategic missiles designed by the US, UK, France and China, the developer Makeyev State Rocket Center said in a statement. It is very flexible in terms of what its payload can be, varying and mixing warheads of different capabilities.

The article says that these missiles will be used by Delta IV class submarines in the Russian navy. These missiles are a highly advanced version of the SIneva missiles.

Im no expert on submarine antiballistic shield missile weapons, but this missile sounds pretty damaging.

12 MIRV nuclear warheads in one missile? Ouch.

Russia is the only nation that uses liquid-fuel submarine-based nuclear missiles. All other nations deploying SLBMs opt for solid propellants, since they allow for the building of more reliable missiles, which are simpler and cheaper to operate.

They also have another missile in development and should be deployed soon. The Bulava, which uses solid fuel.

Russia has a solid-fuel SLBM in development too. The Bulava missile, which is the designated armament for the advanced Borey-class submarines, has seen several delays and setbacks over the years, but now it is slated to enter service after a series of successful test fires in 2010-2011.

The article also says that some of these missiles have electronics in their payload, to help bypass some missile defence systems.

“Submarines armed with such missiles can operate from Russia’s safe territorial waters, where they are covered by the Russian Air Force and its surface Navy. They can also have electronic equipment, necessary to suppress the US antiballistic missile system, as part of their payload in addition to the warheads themselves,” he explained.

Im going to guess the US will try to develop a missile similiar to these.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
However the question is, is this a response to the US or is it more China? Ofcourse the US and Russia have been two titans on opposite sides of ideals and such but China is growing quite rapidly and with it's first Aircraft Carrier starting it's field tests this week, the Pacific is sure as hell going to heat up. Pacific ring of fire for a reason i guess.

Star and Flag for the OP. Nice find.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Its amazing how advanced Russia is in this sense despite the state the country is in.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
correct me if im wrong but i think that china bought an old soviet aircraft carrier and refitted it maybe not anyways good find and post op very interesting

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

However the question is, is this a response to the US or is it more China?

Thats something Ive been wondering to. The US and Russia have been a bit jittery on the US European missile defence shield lately. (Russia seems pretty mad over it, Medvedev even said it could escalate into another Cold War). Or they could just be trying to show the US up on some military technology?

Or, maybe they are trying to develop some advanced technology that they will be able to sell to China? I would guess China would want a whole lot of these missiles.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
To the poster above who mentioned how China bought an old Ukraine Aircraft carrier, you are correct. However it has been under repairs/upgrading since 2000 (I know there's a word for it but it's slipped from my mind, retrofitting?).
They say that this aircraft carrier is for testing and seeing what the Chinese armament requires in a Carrier whilst also having a carrier ready for immediate defence/relief. Its also a perfect display of power to show the states that China is ready to take a position of power in the Pacific.

China is developing 5 carriers in total, including the current carrier set for testing. Two will be medium sized non nuclear whilst the other two will be nuclear super carriers. This ofcourse sets for interesting times in the Pacific. The US General ford class is still a good decade or so if you think about delays and such. China has also been designing emp weapons to render the Carrier strike groups helpless to attack so maybe the Russians have developed these missiles in response to the possible weapons held aboard these nuclear submarines? Just to show China the line and where not to cross it.

Russia and Us ties publically seem weak however i am not sure whether they are starting to realise that the younger growing titans of India and China may need some discipline. Heres hoping it's peaceful as much as it can be.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I am sure the US has developed new missiles.. they, like the UK play a sneaky game of hide the naughty missile developments.. While the US uses bases in the UKs like AWE to develop weapons systems without distracting things like treaties or Congressional oversight, the UK uses US for similar from naughty purposes and to hide from oversight.

Add the UKs new military treaty with France that includes information and facility sharing and given the US/UK tech sharing that treaty should really read US, UK and France.. No wonder Russia is pushing forward this way.. I guess I would too.

What is also missing from most discussions about anti-ballistic tech is the land (SAMP/T) and sea based (PAAMS) medium range ones developed in Europe which I guess given the tech sharing that is going on would be to compliment the shield proposed by the US.

For example a typical French SAMP/T battery includes a command and control vehicle, radar and up to six transporter/ launcher vehicles, each with eight missiles, making a total of 36 missiles per battery and a nice back up to the proposed US anti-ballistic system.

Knowing these snippets, and attempting to put the puzzle together I have to wonder to myself where the heck.
edit on 10/8/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
12 MIRV nuclear warheads in one missile?

The same as the UGM-133 Trident II can carry,
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The United States is light years ahead in weapon technology. This is not to underplay China or Russia as a future threat. But if your worried about Russia's new missiles, take a look at ours.

Pentagon’s Mach 20 Missile Ready for Ultimate Test

new topics

top topics

join