It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's 1st Aircraft Carrier, Shi Lang, in Sea Trial: Report just hours old....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
To any one that follows, this has been long anticipated. It is a crowning achievement for the PLN. What will the repercussions be for the Spratly's, or the Taiwan Straights . Only time will tell. But they reportedly have two more under construction.

Heres a pic of her (him?) in port, bottom pic here decks are almost clean...

There was also a story about a Chinese buisnessman that was interested in buying the HMS ArkRoyal from the UK. Says he want to make it into a mall. Gee, where have I heard that before.....

links

www.defensenews.com...

Buisnessman

news.yahoo.com... 31113.html

After doing a little reading, I found this infromation to help fill out the post.

China has plans for 5 carriers, two purported to be nuclear supercarriers.

So what you all think of this development? I think at the very least it will lead to new cold war, may even go hot.

What say you?
edit on 9-8-2011 by ErEhWoN because: added content, links, pics

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Haha

Let me be one of the first to welcome them to the 20TH Century!!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I thought they already had a few....well I guess it only takes 1 hopefully we can all just get along

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So instead of a Chinese missile shooting skyward off or coast, we'll have these ba$*snip*s in an Aircraft carriers

Not good, not good at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
soon: J20 to test at sea lading, or J20d makes first Carrier landing, that will be the real eye opener, wake me when they do so.
edit on 9-8-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Why do you think they would need an aircraft carrier to patrol the straights. They can just fly there from land.

This is probably just a symbol of their might as they really have no use for an aircraft carrier. I remember when Germany made that fancy battleship and look what happened to that

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Why is it such a "threat" to anyone that they've developed an aircraft carrier, and built it? Seriously...it's not as if the US is the only country that should have one. As per the post in relation to "we'll have to worry about ships instead of missiles!" Um...no. By the time they tried to get it within a striking distance of the US at all, the Pacific Fleet would be well at the welcoming point.

I think this is a fine achievement, now if they can afford to run it, and stock it...that's the next question.

Also, OP: Nice update on developments, keep us posted!
edit on 9.8.2011 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

yea it took out the hood and made the Brits really nervous, before it was sank by wooden air planes. Lest say this becomes a real threat where would they need to send it to do the most damage, south china sea, sea of japan, or mid pacific just north of mid way and pearl. lets say the J20 is carrier ready and the new missile is for the J20. do we in the west have anything that could match the J20 or the missile? do some research before answering, it might shock you.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I agree with you about the missle. That is the real threat no doubt and the one i'm most worried about. This carrier could be sunk very easily so it may look pretty but that's about it. If you start seeing a big increase in missle boat production or whatever they use to fire those off that would indeed be a very bad sign.

I wonder if they can equip those missles on their subs.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

you missed the point what if the missile was made for the J20 or the J20 for the missile and the Carrier for the J20, one is no good with out the other.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
Why is it such a "threat" to anyone that they've developed an aircraft carrier, and built it?

They did no such thing. This is an old, discarded soviet rust bucket that china painted white. It took them 41 years from conception to accomplish that.

They have no FlankerD's,or any jet based fighters as far as I'm aware, so this is basically a glorified helicopter dinghy.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Carrier is not a good platform for the missle as it's easily hit by cruise missles that far outrange China's weaponry unless I read that information wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

but you got to ask why 40+ years and why now. look at the front that is like Britons carriers for the jump jets, why so big? for a big size jet? I would say for the J20, would it out fly the F18? do we have the F22 up and that is not an Carrier plane, could the F35 take on the J20?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

So that is the Varyag then?
Hmmm...I hadn't really taken a really fine look at it...then again, I never saw decent photos of the Varyag to begin with, but that certainly is what it appears to be. That would mean it really is a bucket of bolts just about then.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

do you know what the J20 is? it is the new fifth gen air plane that china built to take on the F22.er F 35 er F18. The F22 has been grounded and is not being made the F35 is still in the test mode the F18??? i do not know if it would stand up to the J20

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

The F-35 is a discarded project, as for the J-20, I can't really see them having the plane ready to actually fly in the forseeable future for several reasons, the first being the quantity of China's "in-development" aircraft, and the second being China's declining economy.

I think that asking if any plane could take on the J-20 is a moot point at this stage in the game, especially considering the fact that China's only just now catching up to the 20th century in terms of military power.

To tack on here:

Where does anyone say anything about the F-22 being grounded? Sources?
The F-18 is not considered a true fifth generation aircraft, why would you be so keen on having an aircraft so advanced as the J-20 is "speculated" to be, taking on an aircraft that's almost 35 years old?
The F-35 project, again...is a discared project. It has been now for over 8 months.
edit on 10.8.2011 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

better do some reading then china to but 30 Su33 from Russia Russia says make it 40, you got deal that was back in 2009.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

F22 FLEET GROUNDED

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Douglas Barrie, an aerospace expert at the International Institute of Strategic Studies, noted that the J20's airframe resembled that of an abandoned Russian prototype, the MiG 1.42. "I'm not sure that its even much of an impressive airframe," said Richard Aboulafia, another analyst. "It looks like something that might have been designed in 1985."

edit on 10-8-2011 by METACOMET because: FXLNK

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
well all need to read this one it is not 40 years to rebuild but 10 years, and i think it is for the J20 for the J20 is not that far off from the Su33 www.milavia.net... from the link

An initial fleet of 12 aircraft would be operated from the former Soviet aircraft carrier Varyag, which China acquired from the Ukraine in 1999 and is currently being refitted at the Dalian shipyard. The deal was expected to include an initial $100 million order for two KnAAPO produced aircraft for trials. Additionally China sought to procure 12 aircraft to equip its first carrier.
so why is china in a big hurry to build up it war machine? Spank Uncle Sam on bum bum?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

yea sadly the same thing was said in June 1941 about japan "no way no how" and in Dec on the 7th we learned better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join