It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something in Matthew and Luke has me puzzled

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Matt.4
[8] Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
[9] And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Luke 4
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

Ok so if Jesus is god or at lest 1/3 of him, then what on earth is the devil doing trying to tempt god (1/3) with his own property?

It would be like some person off the street coming into the house you have bought and paid for and saying “if you declare you love me you can have this house you already own”

So
Is the devil confused about who Jesus is and Jesus was just too polite to say anything?
or
Are christians confused about who Jesus is?
Or
Is the bible just a story with some daft bits in it?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

hi racasan,

this world is the devils, no?

given as part of the process...

thats my understanding...

seeya

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

IMO....Jesus was the Son of God. He was tempted.....what do you think this Planet is? Do you think it is a heavenly one? IMO.....NO.....not YET.

We are tempted by the Spirit that is bounded to this Planet.

cj6

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Im not religious but i do believe in God and in my opinion the bible (as we see it today) is completely fabricated. Its been passed down for centuries from person to person and everyone has put their own spin on it. So if something in it doesnt make sense its because its all man-made bs.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by racasan

IMO....Jesus was the Son of God. He was tempted.....what do you think this Planet is? Do you think it is a heavenly one? IMO.....NO.....not YET.

We are tempted by the Spirit that is bounded to this Planet.

Agree with this. Jesus was the Son of God, he was tempted. It makes perfect sense

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
He's not confused (the devil) the world belongs to him. In 2 Corinthians 4 3,4 the devil is referred to as the god of this world.
The world was given to the devil according to the bible, why who knows.
It makes little sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cj6
reply to post by racasan

Im not religious but i do believe in God and in my opinion the bible (as we see it today) is completely fabricated. Its been passed down for centuries from person to person and everyone has put their own spin on it. So if something in it doesnt make sense its because its all man-made bs.

Also agree with this. Parts of the bible were removed, put back in, re-written, removed again, re-interpreted, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
As a human, Jesus was being tempted by His ego (satan). The scriptures He quoted gave Him the strength to overcome this temptation. If you will remember, the Bible says we are fighting a spiritual war. Satan is a spiritual being, and thus tempts us not physically, but spiritually.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Is the bible just a story with some daft bits in it?
Probably a story with a lot of stuff left out.
The verses do not identify this person directly and there are ways to arrive at a conclusion that it is someone otherwise known as Satan. Devil being more a descriptive word than a sort of name.
Whoever was saying this to Jesus was not lying about himself, as to his claim of ownership and ability to transfer that claim to Jesus. That would not be the point of dispute.
The catch is that there is a higher authority, above the position that this tempter held.
Jesus looks beyond the god of this world, to whoever is the highest, and Jesus knows who this is, and it is not this person.
What is left out may be the identity of this angel, and for comparison, you could look at Moses on the top of the mountain being told by an angel, if you worship me, you will have all this land to be lord over. Well, he never got to even set foot in it. So Jesus knew this angel could not be trusted to keep his promise and knew a better God who could.
Such blasphemy would not have been allowed into the NT because it would have immediately alienated all the Jews who Jesus meant to have incorporated into his Kingdom not of this world.

edit on 9-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Satan means to rule it as a material king with armies and fame and women.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

We are under a veil. This means that we do not know our previous estate. Since we are not our bodies, our soul must live by faith. We are not humans having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. We are required to live by faith so that our souls can be tried. For whatever reason, we are fallen, just as Satan is fallen. The material realm of desire is a place to learn the difference between desire arising from pride and faith arising from humbly following God. We must make the choice. Only pride can result in evil. Good follows when we walk by the leading of God.

For a reason we are not able to fully appreciate, Heaven is full of principalities and powers that do not always follow God. Satan and 1/3 of heaven fell to the earth. We are here to overcome this fall. Christ was sent to shepherd us out of this place. Before we go, Satan will be fully defeated. He is a principality or power mentioned in Ephesians.

The creation of man was corrupted by Satan. Through the blood of Christ, we are restored to our previous estate. Satan will be bound and then thrown into an abyss. In the mean time, He tried to deceive Christ. It was an attempt and grasping at straws. He gambled with the hope that Jesus may have been weak. He was wrong.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cj6

hi cj6,

if this is the case, we should be able to track the changes...

can we???

i think U will find from actual archaeological finds,
that the words in the Bible are pretty much the same as they were 2000 yrs ago...

whether U believe them is up to U...

seeya

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is just to sum up my question – and I hope this will cover the majority of the answers I have gotten so far

If Jesus is god and god made everything then how exactly can the devil tempt god with god’s own property?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
This is just to sum up my question – and I hope this will cover the majority of the answers I have gotten so far

If Jesus is god and god made everything then how exactly can the devil tempt god with god’s own property?

By claiming to be God.
Jesus knew better by knowing a better God.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Satan is the ruler of the Earth, his job is to oversee it. As such, he was trying to tempt Jesus to leave the will of God as he had, and if he would have, Satan would have given him whatever earthly powers and pleasures he wanted. Remember, Jesus was a PHYSICAL being; he was a man, with the same emotions and feelings and temptations we all have. Satan was given the authority by God to do this; this is expanded upon elsewhere in the bible. Just as Jesus was allowed to be tortured and killed, Satan was allowed to offer him power and glory. Once Satan left the will of God, he came into free will, and he can do as he wishes on the Earth until the final punishment.

It's kindof like the "why does God let bad things happen" argument. Yes, God has the power to do whatever he chooses, but a certain natural order must be kept. God allows free-will creatures to do evil, because choice is the nature of free will, just as Satan has.
edit on 9-8-2011 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is one of the things that separate the denominations. Some believe Jesus to be God; others do not. My own opinion is that Jesus (at least in the flesh) was not God, although scripture says that He had unlimited access to The Holy Spirit. I believe He was showing us God, through His own life and teachings, and this is why He said that if you have seen Him, you have seen God. You will get myriad answers from Christians, but here is the main thing I think you should know about all of this. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that you have to understand everything or believe everything recorded. What it does say is that if you believe that Christ was the Son of God, you are saved. Even Jesus taught against Moses, and this is why He was condemned by the Jews. "You have heard it said of old thou shalt not steal; but I say, thou shalt not hoard riches unto thyself and tempt a man to steal." (paraphrased perhaps because it's from memory)

I have a link for you that might help, but it's from my own website and I will have to send it to you as a personal message. Also, if you don't have a study Bible or other references, you can download BPBible from portableapps.com, which comes with study aids and references. It goes on your thumbdrive, so you can take it anywhere.

Seriously though, your walk with God is a personal one, and you should allow yourself to be led by The Spirit. Men, including myself, will oftentimes steer you in the wrong direction with good intentions. Peace my friend...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

sorry im finding your answers a bit cryptic - could expand on this please

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Ahhhhh Again...I just love your words of wisdom. This is something that I want to share with you...please do not think I am a nut case...I think you know by now...Im not.

I remember seeing myself smiling and being ready to come here and experience this journey. I was excited and I remember as soon as I made the choice....I was here..a little girl....remembering how excited I was to come...or to come BACK and be here in this realm of time.

With that said and knowing this Planet has so much darkness awaiting the light, why do you think we chose or are here?

Is it your opinion we have indeed fallen too?

I have this feeling we are here to perfect in love and light. A learning tool to overcome darkness in any experience......
We are here to show others there is another way and to not be bound by earthy "things".

Does this type of thinking make sense to you?

Thanks and love to you always!!!! xoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
once again

if jesus is god and god made everything and god is in charge of everything then the bit in the bible with the devil tempting jesus makes zero sense

some choices to help you guys out:

the devil is confused about what's going on

jesus is confused about what's going on

christians are confused about what's going on

the bible is a collection of old story's rammed together and not properly edited and is therefore very silly

there if think that covers all the bases

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

I think we can learn from not only our own experiences but others..... Here is a video that I find really cool. This man is well respected in his community and profession. There are thousands upon thousands of people just like me and you who have died only to come back and tell a story. We can learn from them if we chose to.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join