It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Tea Party to Blame for S&P's downgrade?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TaxpayersUnleashed

And what is your argument sir? why do you think the OP is stupid. You don't agree that blame should assigned on the tea party? yet you are pro-tax yes?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How can the tea party be responsible for the downgrade, how many national budgets have they been in control of? It is previous governments and the peoples expectations that can be blamed here.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Who the heck is running the store? Democrats-Guilty, Republicans/Tea Partiers-Guilty. Next question.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
How can the tea party be responsible for the downgrade, how many national budgets have they been in control of? It is previous governments and the peoples expectations that can be blamed here.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9be230cd83a5.jpg[/atsimg]

I hear what you are saying but the very extremist nature of the tea-party movement is what has led to this day. The USA almost defaulted because of this same tea-party. You almost forget to ask if the tea party had an average Joe's interest at heart.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Maybe if we're downgraded again, we'll stop spending beyond our means.

I mean what family in their right mind runs their household finances this way? If there is something I want that I can't pay cash for, I do without.

It's high time America learns this lesson.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

Spending does help an economy but how can people spend when Obama gave all that money to banks and corporations.

It should of been given to every citizen and then you would have stimulated the economy because people and business would have all got the money then.

Face it our government is screwed and has been for quite some time and most people sit there and say it will never happen.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The Huggington Post is Obama's lap dog of course they are going to play the blame game and point as many fingers as possible away from the Dolt in the White House.

Read the S&P report for yourselves. Their is no mention of the Tea Party. Just mention of the ridiculous games being played in DC by both parties all of which are being led by Obama the team captain. Then he feeds the media with his daily Talking Points Memo.

Here's the overview

Overview
· We have lowered our long-term sovereign credit rating on the United
States of America to 'AA+' from 'AAA' and affirmed the 'A-1+' short-term
rating.
· We have also removed both the short- and long-term ratings from
CreditWatch negative.
· The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan
that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of
what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's
medium-term debt dynamics.
· More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness,
stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political
institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic
challenges to a degree more than we envisioned when we assigned a
negative outlook to the rating on April 18, 2011.
· Since then, we have changed our view of the difficulties in bridging the
gulf between the political parties over fiscal policy, which makes us
pessimistic about the capacity of Congress and the Administration to be
able to leverage their agreement this week into a broader fiscal
consolidation plan that stabilizes the government's debt dynamics any
time soon.
· The outlook on the long-term rating is negative. We could lower the
long-term rating to 'AA' within the next two years if we see that less
reduction in spending than agreed to, higher interest rates, or new
fiscal pressures during the period result in a higher general government
debt trajectory than we currently assume in our base case.

www.standardandpoors.com... DUS_Downgraded_AA%2B.pdf&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobheadername1=content-type&blobwhere=1243 942957443&blobheadervalue3=UTF-8

Unfortunately, we have a president who can't even wind a watch on his best day and on his worst days he sets a whole string of firsts for his administration. Two record setting debt ceiling hikes (2010, 2011), First down grade and a new record for spending that outpaces his predecessors combined.

The Tea Party is not to Blame! S&P has been warning of this since APRIL!! and Obama's Adminstration simply chose to play the game without a game plan. We just got blitzed!!
edit on 6-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ya'll just don't seem to get it...

The Tea party is about smaller (less) government...that's all !!!

We don't want any of your ABC agencies DOD DOE IRS FED DOI DEA TSA DEA ...

Why is that so hard to understand ??? YES we want no gov intervention into our lives...zero...got it ???

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

...More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenges to a degree more than we envisioned when we assigned a negative outlook to the rating on April 18, 2011...

Just see the underline above and I don't see how this has nothing to do with the tea party. It is actually funny that they imply that the tea party has weakened American policymaking and political institutions

I don't know if many people here are aware of the history behind the tea party movement.

The Original Tea Party was not Anti-Government but Anti-Corporation

As Thom Hartmann says, the Boston Tea Party was “A revolt against corporate power and corporate tax cuts.

The East India Company was almost a nation unto itself, with tremendous influence over the British government and guilty of tremendous corruption and violence. The original Tea Party patriots were having none of this. They were not going to be ruined by corporate greed.

Obviously, these were not a bunch of conservatives, especially not a bunch of people like today’s conservatives, who embrace corporate power and willingly place themselves into thrall of these powerful conglomerates, today’s East India Companies, like GE (which paid no taxes).

The status quo defends corporations, defends the right of corporations to evade taxation, and defends the rights of corporations to exploit the average citizen. The original Tea Party patriots rose up against this idea, and threw tea to the value of a million of today’s dollars into Boston Harbor. Not government tea, mind you, but corporate tea.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5648f4cd0a19.gif[/atsimg]

This lesson from history is more important than ever today given events in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and in my own Indiana, as the Tea Party, corporate-funded shills that they are, tries to take away not only the rights and livelihood of working-class Americans but on behalf of those corporations attacks the democracy those first patriotic Americans eventually fought to give us.

The original Boston tea party movement was a sharp contrast to what we see today from these extremists.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5a9df052023.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 6-8-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dang people, yet another Blame The Tea Party For All Our Problems thread.

The only people we should be blaming are ourselves, for voting and keeping these 535 goons in power.

Btw, looks like Blamer threads are looking to surpass Birther threads.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Tea Party and Republicans created the hype over the debt ceiling and made it out to be an issue when it wasn't in the past. If they would have raised the debt ceiling and talked about spending cuts after, the credit agencies would have applauded the move and more than likely not have changed the credit rating.

But doing that wouldn't help the Republican's image, it'd just make Obama look better.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
reply to post by jibeho

...More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenges to a degree more than we envisioned when we assigned a negative outlook to the rating on April 18, 2011...

Just see the underline above and I don't see how this has nothing to do with the tea party. It is actually funny that they imply that the tea party has weakened American policymaking and political institutions

Did you honestly read the underlined statement and somehow see it implies the Tea Party in there.

I am at a loss in understanding how this implies what you stated and where did you get the text from? Link!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Did you not hear the S&P put out a statement that unless Congress cut the deficit by $4trillion then they would drop the credit rating. Of course Democrats wanted nothing to do with any budget cuts.

As usual Federal government has no clue about what is going on around them. Then a lot of people on here simply regurgitate what they hear without checking the facts on anything.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For every nut that wants a smaller government, there hundreds if not thousands (or even more) who want to eat.

They want health care so they can stay healthy, so their children do not die from child hood diseases. They want to see their children grow up, to not see their loved ones fall to thugs who don't care for their fellow man. They want to be able to live in their homes and not on the streets. They want to know that if they buy food that will not kill them a few days later. They want clean water, clean air and to be able to talk when they want to, their family who live any where in the world. They want running water, road, sewage treatment plants, to be able travel on roads that are in good repair and safe to drive on.

I want a government, that if there is a pandemic, can get medicines and food delivered to places that need it.
I want a government that provides inoculations to keep my daughter healthy, and in there is a bad pharmaceutical drug on the market I want to know there is someone out there making sure its not in circulation.
I want a military that is strong and a real deterrent, and should the veterans need treatment, they get it.
I want to be able to go to the atm, get my money, buy food and clothing when I need to.
I want to be able to afford things that ensure my family has a decent quality of life.

You can want a smaller government all you want. I want a responsible government, and that's a big difference.

A smaller government is a figment of peoples imagination. We have cities with millions of people in them. You can not have cities with that many people in them and not have an infrastructure and people to manage it.

The alternative is starvation, disease, and then death on a massive scale. Do you want that for your children, or your children's children? I sure don't, but that's where the people who think 'small government' equates with prosperity are trying to lead us.

An' that is the wrong damned way.

If you want thousands of 5th world feudal estates, with limited or zero sanitation, plagues and very short lives, instead of America. Go ahead, keep thinking a smaller government will save you.

However, if you want a real future, you want a responsible government.

With the means to keep the country healthy and prosperous.

M.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IncognitoGhostman

The links I found were from late July concerning that statement. In which case the statement would have been provoked by Congress's inaction. If there was a statement by them much earlier in the year, before Congress started making news, then I'd be curious about that.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Dang people, yet another Blame The Tea Party For All Our Problems thread.

The only people we should be blaming are ourselves, for voting and keeping these 535 goons in power.

Btw, looks like Blamer threads are looking to surpass Birther threads.

But unlike the birther threads the blamer threads have proof backing most of them up.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Sometimes one must cut off a finger to save a hand.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Some points to consider:

It’s still a fact that George Bush is more responsible for the debt and deficit than Barack Obama. All the falsehoods by people here won’t change that. www.dailykos.com...

The downgrade actually has nothing directly to do with the budget or debt what it has to do with is growth and merely cutting and taxing or no-taxes has an effect on growth but doesn’t alone determine GDP.

Any economists will tell you that you need a balanced approach not a one-sided monstrosity like the tea party agenda.

Recall that the last time we had no deficit was under the democrat Bill Clinton and it was the republican George Bush who sent the debt into the stratosphere with tax cuts for the rich and the Iraq war

My OP has already determined the quilt of the tea party, as I refuted all comers and tea party lovers who couldn’t answer the logic of the OP and only avoided its facts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just the facts man
Inforeal!

AH, a breath of fresh air from the.......daily kos. Not from you inforeal. Say it ain't so.....

Gee, thanks for making it soooo easy.

Bush more at fault you say???

Give me a break. Both have blood on their greedy, pocket picking hands.

By the way, I did not realize the Tea Party "quilt" was in question. I thought it was very nice.

The only reason why Clinton showed a surplus is 2 fold. 1, accounting gimmicks and 2, the Fed Govt took too much money from the tax payer then.

That surplus is not the property of the Fed Govt.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by professornurbs

Clinton at least had the balls to tax the rich, that’s is the greatest thing that contributed to his balanced budget that those guys you mentioned all said (his economic bill), that raised taxes on the rich, would bring disaster to the economy. In fact it was the beginning of an economic windfall that republican Bush inherited and ruined.
BUSH DID TARP AND IRAQ AND TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH NOT OBAMA

WHAT WHAT???Obama did not have TARP you say?? Better go back and look.
TARP 2, QE1 & 2, GM, war still in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and soon to be some more.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
After writing a bit of history about the tea party that no one really knows much about....here is more of teh warnigs signs of this movement

The Tea Party Agenda For Our Nation—Is This What You Want?

Here are some of these Tea Party priorities as reported by Mr. Jennings—
* “Reject Obamacare.”
Repeal of Healthcare Reform will allow insurance companies to once again toss people off coverage because they get sick, and will allow insurance companies to once again impose lifetime caps on policies.

* ” Reinstate Judeo-Christian Values. ….Prayer back in schools and hanging the Ten Commandments in public buildings…”

People can pray anytime they want. People can live true each and every day to the religious values they hold. Are these values so weak that they must be posted in every building?

* “Repeal property taxes.”

Those three words are the extent of what Mr. Jennings wrote as the Tea Party goal on this subject. We already have no income taxes in Texas. Due to Republican mismanagement, Texas has a budget deficit of over $25 billion.

* “ Reassert states rights under the 10th Amendment: Eliminate funding for EPA, education.”

It is worth noting that states rights is found in the Tea Party creed in the same place as is eliminating EPA and education funding. This is the states rights doctrine. It is about separating ourselves from the nation as a whole. Yet the air in Texas can be so bad that even the Republican State of Oklahoma has complained to the federal government. Being a bad neighbor can infringe on the rights of others. People in Houston know how bad the pollution was before stricter environmental regulations.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9be230cd83a5.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join