It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce 'Significant' Mars Finding Thursday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

NASA to Announce 'Significant' Mars Finding Thursday

www.foxnews.com

Little green men? space base? Red rain on the Red Planet?

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
We'll have to wait till 2pm

NASA Announces News Briefing On Mars Orbiter Science Finding Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EDT on Aug. 4

WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a news briefing on Thursday, Aug. 4, at 2 p.m. EDT about a significant new Mars science finding. The briefing will be held in the NASA Headquarters James E. Webb Auditorium, 300 E St. SW in Washington.

The new finding is based on observations from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), which has been orbiting the Red Planet since 2006. MRO is managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif., for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington.

The briefing panelists are:
- Philip Christensen, geophysicist, Arizona State University, Tempe
- Colin Dundas, research geologist, U.S. Geological Survey, Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Alfred McEwen, planetary geologist, University of Arizona, Tucson
- Michael Meyer, Mars Exploration Program lead scientist, NASA Headquarters
- Lisa Pratt, biogeochemist, Indiana University, Bloomington

Reporters unable to attend in person may ask questions from participating NASA centers or by telephone. To participate by phone, reporters must contact Grey Hautaluoma at 202-358-0668 or [email protected] by 11 a.m. on Aug. 4.

The news briefing will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website. For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:

www.nasa.gov...

The event also will be carried live on Ustream, with a live chat box available, at:

www.ustream.tv...

- end -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

text-only version of this release

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would be over the moon (no pun intended) if NASA announced evidence of previous civilisations on the planet Mars.
We can only hope.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by paratus

- Lisa Pratt, biogeochemist, Indiana University, Bloomington

Sounds interesting. Will that be 7pm in the UK?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

What? They found water there again?

I will not hold my breath

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

the only thing on the nasa calander for today is a "tweetup" of the mission to jupiter.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
reply to post by paratus

yes, BUT this time it's sparkling, not still...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Lets see. Geologist, geologist, geologist, Biogeochemist and a team lead. Im guessing a significant source of frozen water or possibly methane emissions concurrent with life.
edit on 4-8-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
reply to post by paratus

the only thing on the nasa calander for today is a "tweetup" of the mission to jupiter.

www.ustream.tv...

about 35 minutes till start time

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

reply to post by paratus

You're ruining this for me Russ.

Don't spoil the suspense.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
actually the bio-geologist, Lisa Pratt, has been studying methane releases here on earth looking for signatures that would indicate a microbial origin

we have been talking about this over here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm thinking it's related to volcanism or water. Mars is probably more 'alive' than previously thought.

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I would be over the moon (no pun intended) if NASA announced evidence of previous civilisations on the planet Mars.
We can only hope.

Curious why you think that would be a good thing.

What possible benefits to you think would come from an announcement like that?

link   
Okay, since people are taking guesses, I'll say that they have found significant deposits of water, and there are plans to send missions there to extract this water.

NASA plans to market this new bottled water under the trade name "Merrier" or "MarsPark" the ad agency has not decided on a firm name yet, it will depend on market surveys...

link   
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

possibly changes such as these:

"This particular image shows dunes in the Southern hemisphere of Mars, and when I saw that it was part of a series of monitoring images, I had to take a closer look. It turns out that HiRISE has now snapped pictures of these dunes for three Mars years in a row, to check for changes that have occurred over that time."

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

possibly changes such as these:

"This particular image shows dunes in the Southern hemisphere of Mars, and when I saw that it was part of a series of monitoring images, I had to take a closer look. It turns out that HiRISE has now snapped pictures of these dunes for three Mars years in a row, to check for changes that have occurred over that time."

It's interesting for sure but how significant is it? What would it signify that transcends our current understanding of the planet?

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
reply to post by paratus

www.ustream.tv...

about 35 minutes till start time

OK now I'm curious and I cannot access the feed at work. Would someone please fill me/us in when this announcement occurs.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
All it would take is to find a sedimentary deposit of diatomaceous earth near an old indication of water to be highly significant. This is something I have half expected if there were water free on Mars at one time especially if there are deposits of travertine and chalk observed
seed

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

reply to post by paratus

You're ruining this for me Russ.

Don't spoil the suspense.

What, is there an Indian probe due to reach Mars shortly?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
On a side note, how coincidental is it that this just "popped up" as soon as the markets started to nosedive?

This was nowhere yesterday, just seems conspiracy worthy on merit of sidetracking focus away from the economy.

That is, provided it is a "significant" finding.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join