It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you delete your own account and posts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I was just curious...

Some forums I've been on had, basically, a "self-destruct" feature where you could delete your account, and it would remove all of your posts.

Is there any such feature here on ATS? I'm assuming you can delete your own account by asking the admin, but is there any way to get ALL of your posts deleted as well, perhaps even those captured by someone else quoting you?

I'm not planning on doing this, I was just extremely curious just in case.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I believe once you post - it belongs to ATS in its original state. You might be able to have your account "closed", but anything you put online should be considered public property. Thats just basic good advice. If you don't want it out there, don't put it out there.

I might be wrong as to how ATS stands on the issue, but thats what I believe, and agree with.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It would be nice. I plan to apply to one of the intelligence services after i'm done with more schooling and i'm not looking forward to having to answer for some of the stuff I've posted on here

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Short answer......no

It would interupt the flow of a thread if all the comments of banned members would be removed.

What happens on ATS stays on ATS....

Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
It would be nice. I plan to apply to one of the intelligence services after i'm done with more schooling and i'm not looking forward to having to answer for some of the stuff I've posted on here

They should have no problems with your posts, just tell them you already have Above Top Secret clearance

But the answer is NO, none of your stuff gets removed ever, you agreed to that when you joined and clicked "I agree"....

On the bright side, when TPTB kill the internet once and for all, or when the EMP hits (insert your own DoOm here), you won't have to worry about it

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
IF youve got a "screen name" thats not your real name...I dont believe you have to disclose it in a job interview...so they couldnt track what you say(said). Dont worry...it takes $$$ to search you out...unless its a deep govenment job...and even then....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

You might be able to have your account "closed", but anything you put online should be considered public property.

No, sorry, intellectual rights still apply unless the author waives them. Appropriation, yes, it goes on all the time, but that's just stealing. It's ordinary theft, only of intellectual "goods".

I think the option to terminate one's account because numbers represent "might" (and money) in the cyberworld, and with permanent membership there is no distinction between active and non-active members. Not to an outsider at any rate.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I have a problem that sort of relates to this. This is my second account. I have another account here that I no longer wish to use. The other account was often posted on by a terminally ill relative who spent his last months living here with me. Whilst he certainly didn't break any T&Cs or anything, he did sometimes express certain beliefs and opinions that didn't tie in with my own, and for that reason I no longer want to be associated with the other account. Now, do I need to get the other account suspended or do I just ignore it by not ever logging into it?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So then if a person was asked in a court of law,
for instance that what you said at a time of posting, once posted,
was for all purpose's, could then be legally used as "public knowledge".
ie,
by repeating certain statements, at which point it would then be "public knowledge",,,

still,,

no action was taken by authorities in charge,,even after said statements became "public knowledge".

see its a two edge sword.
edit on 5-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

As has been answred, NO. You can not close your acount here. Every word you type stays in the "matrix" forever.

ATS holds the "rights" to all of our posts.
They remain eternally in cyberspace.

Suprised a Mod has not spoke up and closed this yet.

GEL?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Ever googled your own name/username?
Try it with a keyword.

Its called a net and a web , use it as such : dont get your own foot caught up in it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Sigh..... this entire quote annoys me.

How about I do you a favour and let you know right now you don’t need to worry about this. I’ll tell you why you don’t have to worry about it, people who talk about applying for the intelligence services only ever talk about, if they do apply they fail. I had a few experiences during my time at university, I don’t want to get into details but I and a girl I know got a “Tap” which I turned down on account of some information I had from a relative.

I can tell you right now, anyone who says “I am going to apply to the intelligence services” out loud isn’t going to become James Bond. You don’t need to worry about them reading your ATS posts which bring me onto the next problem I have with this post.

“i'm not looking forward to having to answer for some of the stuff I've posted on here”

Then why are you posting it, if you can answer for what you have wrote, if you are worried about how the intelligence services will react to what you have wrote the why are you “applying”. Further to this is suggests that you don’t really believe in what you have wrote so it makes me question your threads. This to me shows that you don’t have confidence in what you have wrote, it tarnishes your other threads, including the one about your believes regarding the “global terrorist network” where you said this, that I would just love to hear you justify at “the Farm”.

Originally posted by Firefly_
I believe in a global terrorist network. Its headed by the United Kingdom, United States and Israel.

Really you want to join the intelligence services and yet you write this.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
According to the T&C:

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It basically means that you have the rights to your material but so does ATS. As such any content is the mutual property of you and ATS. The material won't be removed from ATS unless it violates the T&C.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Short answer......no

It would interupt the flow of a thread if all the comments of banned members would be removed.

What happens on ATS stays on ATS....

Peace

unless of course it violates T & C which is shady at times when enforced

but still we should have the option of peeking at the original post if you will

seems fair then the users can see why that persons post was removed ...

i don't speak of the classic foolish ones

but the border line ones that has some good info but one line of bad and then bam! whole post removed

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LazloFarnsworth

Yes you could remain anonymous as long as your real name isn’t Lazlo Farnsworth.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Very true, friend. And it is not. Thanks
Lazlo

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think you can edit your posts to delete them if you truly wanted to.

Or is there a time limit on this?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

It says 4 hours, in reality it's two....

Peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join