It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NERDGASM ALERT: Detailed Rendering of CG just got infinately better. The polygon is dead

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Show me ONE voxel engine that shows no apparent LOD like the Unlimited Detail engine. I will wait.

First explain what LOD is in a voxel engine, because I don't think you understand it.

Nice try, I am still waiting on someone to show me one Voxel based engine that has no apparent LOD while zooming in or out. I don't care if you think I understand what an LOD is, just show me one example of another engine doing what the Unlimited Detail engine does. Just one. I will wait.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

How about you do me the courtesy of answering my questions on the previous page first. Do that and I'll be more than happy to oblige you with yours.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by BIGPoJo

How about you do me the courtesy of answering my questions on the previous page first. Do that and I'll be more than happy to oblige you with yours.

I don't have a question. I just want one of you to show me another engine that does what the Unlimited Detail one does. Also, I do not have to answer any questions. I am not the one claiming that this tech is rehashed tech.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

I don't have a question. I just want one of you to show me another engine that does what the Unlimited Detail one does. Also, I do not have to answer any questions. I am not the one claiming that this tech is rehashed tech.

THis one is the same basic technology, just without the nice objects.

voxels.blogspot.com...

There's not going to be many, because there's really not a lot of practical usage for such an engine, as it limits you to high repetitious environments.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Show me ONE voxel engine that shows no apparent LOD like the Unlimited Detail engine. I will wait.

First explain what LOD is in a voxel engine, because I don't think you understand it.

Nice try, I am still waiting on someone to show me one Voxel based engine that has no apparent LOD while zooming in or out. I don't care if you think I understand what an LOD is, just show me one example of another engine doing what the Unlimited Detail engine does. Just one. I will wait.

Any adaptive LOD algorithm will be transparent. Do you even know what LOD algorithms even are and what their purpos is? Methinks not.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

No, instead you're making bold claims about concepts you clearly have no idea about.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

No, instead you're making bold claims about concepts you clearly have no idea about.

Sounds like you are just mad. Also, about the Cuda engine. You can see them constantly update the LOD, with the Unlimited Detail engine you do not see the same problem.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm no geek - and generally resist new stuff cuz I can't keep up. But now - am motivated to learn. When this comes out I'm all over it. Thanks much for the info.

S&F&

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Sounds like you are just mad. Also, about the Cuda engine. You can see them constantly update the LOD, with the Unlimited Detail engine you do not see the same problem.

No, it is you who is mad. All you're doing is making yourself look foolish by demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of the concepts discussed. You have demonstrated your ignorance time and time again and even gone as far as admitting your ignorance of the field if computer graphics. Do you really think that piecing together fragments of your googling will make you look informed? Trust me, it doesn't and it's getting rather tedious now.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

No, it is you who is mad. All you're doing is making yourself look foolish by demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of the concepts discussed. You have demonstrated your ignorance time and time again and even gone as far as admitting your ignorance of the field if computer graphics. Do you really think that piecing together fragments of your googling will make you look informed? Trust me, it doesn't and it's getting rather tedious now.

Show me one post where I misrepresented how Voxels, Cloud Data Maps, or any other techno jargon work. I do not agree with you in this thread so instead of having a good talk about it you simply try to attack me. You are the one who is ignorant. I am sorry that you are so obtuse.

Refute my claims and stop attacking me.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Show me one post where I misrepresented how Voxels, Cloud Data Maps, or any other techno jargon work. I do not agree with you in this thread so instead of having a good talk about it you simply try to attack me. You are the one who is ignorant. I am sorry that you are so obtuse.

Refute my claims and stop attacking me.

You don't even understand what your claims are. Do you know what LOD is? Do you know what an adaptive LOD algorithm is?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You don't even understand what your claims are. Do you know what LOD is? Do you know what an adaptive LOD algorithm is?

Wow, are you reading my mind? Please, tell me how you came to the conclusion that I do not know what a "Level of Detail" is. I could be the most idiotic person on the planet but it still does not change the fact that this is a new engine that has not been done before.

You say it has been done before then show it to me. I say this is new and exciting. Stop redirecting and PROVE me wrong.
edit on 12-8-2011 by BIGPoJo because: EDIT - Do you even know what an algorithm is? extra DIV

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Sure, it's new and exciting to you, just not to the game development industry.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

The last 10 pages or so have been "proving you wrong", as you put it, and each time you come up with another hair-brained claim of "novelty" and another demonstration of your ignorance. It never ends and to be quite frank your arrogance combined with your ignorance makes for an embarrassing read. Youre not interested in learning, you're only interested in desperately trying to "win" a debate in which you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as you've demonstrated time and time again. It's cringe-worthy.

You want examples of voxel engines with adaptive LOD algorithms with smooth transitions? 1) make a list if voxel terrain engines. 2) find out by either reading the specs or watching video demonstrations. I have no inclination to run this fools errand for you as anyone with half a clue will know that smooth transitions between LOD levels is hardly groundbreaking. Your "challenges" are laughable because you literally gave no idea what you're talking about but the joke is getting old now. 10 pages of this nonsense is 10 pages too many.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

The last 10 pages or so have been "proving you wrong", as you put it, and each time you come up with another hair-brained claim of "novelty" and another demonstration of your ignorance. It never ends and to be quite frank your arrogance combined with your ignorance makes for an embarrassing read. Youre not interested in learning, you're only interested in desperately trying to "win" a debate in which you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as you've demonstrated time and time again. It's cringe-worthy.

You want examples of voxel engines with adaptive LOD algorithms with smooth transitions? 1) make a list if voxel terrain engines. 2) find out by either reading the specs or watching video demonstrations. I have no inclination to run this fools errand for you as anyone with half a clue will know that smooth transitions between LOD levels is hardly groundbreaking. Your "challenges" are laughable because you literally gave no idea what you're talking about but the joke is getting old now. 10 pages of this nonsense is 10 pages too many.

You made yourself look like an ass, nice job.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's just a voxel engine, according to Dell. He though the word did not have enough prestige, so he stopped using it.

www.eurogamer.net...

Unlimited Detail is a sorting algorithm that retrieves only the 3D atoms (I won't say voxels any more it seems that word doesn't have the prestige in the games industry that it enjoys in medicine and the sciences) that are needed, exactly one for each pixel on the screen, it displays them using a very different procedure from individual 3D to 2D conversion, instead we use a mass 3D to 2D conversion that shares the common elements of the 2D positions of all the dots combined.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
That should settle it

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

It's just a voxel engine, according to Dell. He though the word did not have enough prestige, so he stopped using it.

www.eurogamer.net...

Unlimited Detail is a sorting algorithm that retrieves only the 3D atoms (I won't say voxels any more it seems that word doesn't have the prestige in the games industry that it enjoys in medicine and the sciences) that are needed, exactly one for each pixel on the screen, it displays them using a very different procedure from individual 3D to 2D conversion, instead we use a mass 3D to 2D conversion that shares the common elements of the 2D positions of all the dots combined.

The way I understand it is that it's not a conventional voxel system, because the voxels themselves are not static as they change size to fit the pixels on your monitor. This means that if you zoom in, you will not see voxel pixelation because they resize themself to fit one "voxel" for every pixel on your screen. I assume this is what they mean by unlimited detail, because there is no physical size for the voxels in his engine. As far as I know this has not been done before, and is not the same thing as super-small voxels from other engines.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
The way I understand it is that it's not a conventional voxel system, because the voxels themselves are not static as they change size to fit the pixels on your monitor. This means that if you zoom in, you will not see voxel pixelation because they resize themself to fit one "voxel" for every pixel on your screen. I assume this is what they mean by unlimited detail, because there is no physical size for the voxels in his engine. As far as I know this has not been done before, and is not the same thing as super-small voxels from other engines.

No, that's just voxel mip-mapping. It's a standard part of any large-world voxel engine. Each node in the sparse voxel octree contains a filtered versions of the 8 nodes below it (a process called "downsampling"). So when you are going down the tree and 8 nodes are smaller than one pixel, you don't go down any more, and instead use the value at that node. (that's a bit of a simplification, but it's the basic idea).

The only thing that's slightly new about this engine is the large amount of instancing (using copies of the same node in multiple places)

For a full description of how SVOs work, see:
www.tml.tkk.fi...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
YESSSSSSS!!! I'm always amazed at how new video games look better then the old ones. This on the other hand, just blew me away. i cant wait till they blend that, with 3d gaming. I remember being a young lad playing Nintendo, and being so amazed at how good Super Mario Brothers 3 looked! Hahaha
I feel old.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join