It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End Times? Texas Lake Turns Blood-Red

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

End Times? Texas Lake Turns Blood-Red

news.yahoo.com

A Texas lake that turned blood-red this summer may not be a sign of the End Times, but probably is the end of a popular fishing and recreation spot.

A drought has left the OC Fisher Reservoir in San Angelo State Park in West Texas almost entirely dry. The water that is left is stagnant, full of dead fish — and a deep, opaque red.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
No it's not real blood but Chromatiaceae bacteria, which thrive in oxygen-deprived water.
a result of this damn high heat and drought we've been suffering lately... I'm up in Kansas several hundreds miles north of this place and to give you some idea of how hot it's been...

yesterday when I left the office to go home it was a 107 outside, heat index was 120... now that's damn hot...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Interesting to say the least.

Any Pictures at all. None in the article.

Oh wells just falls into place along with every other unexplained events which are occuring around the planet.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That is very red and does look little like blood but apparently just the soil and Chromatiaceae bacteria, which thrive in oxygen-deprived water.

edit on 2-8-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Scary stuff. Well we all wont be surprised though if SHTF.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Something similar happened in 1986 in Cameroon at Lake Nyos

It was caused by iron rich deposits mixing with oxygen caused by a gas leak underneath the lake bed. Other volatile gasses drifted into a nearby village and killed about half the population (including many 1st born). Truly an eerie phenomenon...

Here's a good link to explain better than I could
edit on 2-8-2011 by OuttaTime because: added link

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

Interesting to say the least.

Any Pictures at all. None in the article.

Oh wells just falls into place along with every other unexplained events which are occuring around the planet.

Ask and ye shall recive
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47065af8b295.jpg[/atsimg]
it doesnt look so bad in the photo... but aI bet it stinks to high heaven

link   
Is this some kind of bacteria in the water which cause this red color?

link   
It could be due to outgassing, due to iron-rich water from the deep rising to the surface and being oxidised.

It happend before to Lake Nyos in 1986.

The gas can kill any living plant or animal close by! So that might explain the dead fish.

A cow suffocated by gases from Lake Nyos

Although a sudden outgassing of CO2 had occurred at Lake Monoun in 1984, killing 37 local residents, a similar threat from Lake Nyos was not anticipated. However, on August 21, 1986, a limnic eruption occurred at Lake Nyos which triggered the sudden release of about 1.6 million tonnes of CO2; this cloud rose at nearly 100 kilometres (62 mi) per hour. The gas spilled over the northern lip of the lake into a valley running roughly east-west from Cha to Subum, and then rushed down two valleys branching off it to the north, displacing all the air and suffocating some 1,700 people within 25 kilometres (16 mi) of the lake, mostly rural villagers, as well as 3,500 livestock. The worst affected villages were Cha, Nyos, and Subum. Scientists concluded from evidence that a 300-foot (91 m) fountain of water and foam formed at the surface of the lake. The huge amount of water rising suddenly caused much turbulence in the water, spawning a wave of at least 80 feet (24 m) that would scour the shore of one side.]

One survivor, Joseph Nkwain from Subum, described himself when he awoke after the gases had struck:

"I could not speak. I became unconscious. I could not open my mouth because then I smelled something terrible . . . I heard my daughter snoring in a terrible way, very abnormal . . . When crossing to my daughter's bed . . . I collapsed and fell. I was there till nine o'clock in the (Friday) morning . . . until a friend of mine came and knocked at my door . . . I was surprised to see that my trousers were red, had some stains like honey. I saw some . . . starchy mess on my body. My arms had some wounds . . . I didn't really know how I got these wounds . . .I opened the door . . . I wanted to speak, my breath would not come out . . . My daughter was already dead . . . I went into my daughter's bed, thinking that she was still sleeping. I slept till it was 4:30 p.m. in the afternoon . . . on Friday. (Then) I managed to go over to my neighbors' houses. They were all dead . . . I decided to leave . . . . (because) most of my family was in Wum . . . I got my motorcycle . . . A friend whose father had died left with me (for) Wum . . . As I rode . . . through Nyos I didn't see any sign of any living thing . . . (When I got to Wum), I was unable to walk, even to talk . . . my body was completely weak."

Wiki Source

edit on 2-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by odyseusz
Is this some kind of bacteria in the water which cause this red color?

Yes
Second line: Chromatiaceae bacteria

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by odyseusz

There are bacterias and algaes that can do this. I lived in S Carolina for over a decade, and they would issue warnings to shrimpers due to what they call Red Tide. It's a toxic algae that is potentially lethal to consumers. You can google 'Red Tide' and get lots of good info

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm pro end of the world. Yes I am wearing my tin hat.

Just like child births, pain must strike first before happiness.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Aw man! I used to fish there, long ago. What a sad development. I'm not sure the 'apocalyptic' angle was called for, since this kind of thing does happen from time to time; but is seems like a frightful shame. When I was there, the lake was only used for recreation and the like, so I hope that means the economic impact will be minimal.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well it is an apocalyptic end to a damn good fishing hole... Yeah I've drowned a few worms there too... so in a real way to a die hard fishermen... any loss of a good place to wet your line is Biblical scale event...

as for the the "End Times" crack blame the AP correspondent...
edit on 2-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The Bible never says WHY the rivers and streams turn blood red. Just because we know why it is blood red, does not necessarily mean it is evidence that the Bible Prophecy is not accurate.

That being said, the Bible says ALL, so one single fishing hole in West Texas turning blood red does not fulfill the Prophecy, not even close.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Not the end of the world until it is Iron Oxide, not bacteria. Even then, I think that Iron Oxide would make green algae grow.

Google Search

Of course there are pros and cons to us dumping iron in the ocean. Iron turns the water brackish, sour, and will make you sick when you drink it. Not sure about this bacteria, but I bet it would not heal you.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I didn't mean to imply that you called it apocalyptic.... (although I agree, for some of my angling friends it probably will feel that way). Even the most respected news brokering houses are inclined to use any hook they can to get people to read "their" news.

At any rate, the minor silver lining is me calling up my old friends and telling them what has happened to one of our 'glory days' hang outs.

top topics

join