It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's alcohol problem.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It's something we like to sweep under the carpet, I mean who doesn't like a drink? But it is becoming a massive problem in the UK threatening to cripple the NHS.

With a quarter of England's population consuming hazardous amounts, alcohol addiction already costs the NHS more than £2.7 billion a year

news.bbc.co.uk...

The latest figures for average weekly consumption show that 27 per cent of adult men and 15 per cent of women drink over the former recommended 'sensible' levels of 21 units (men) and 14 units (women) per week. The proportion of women drinking above safe levels has increased by 50 per cent since 1988.

www.ias.org.uk...

Yet instead of the government wanting to tackle this problem, they are stacking the advisory body with members of the Drinks Industry

Seven out of 16 members of the Government and Partners Alcohol Working Group are from industry, up from just a couple last autumn.
Critics believe it is evidence that the Coalition is pandering to the interests of the industry, potentially at the expense of the nation's health.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Why do we drink so much in this country, this is not a class thing either, some of the highest rates of alcohol consumption are in the richer parts of the country, it's a national problem that is costing people there health and costing the tax payer billions.

What makes our country so different that we have such a drinking problem?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
i've never been to the UK.
met several english lads and let me tell you, their stomaches are endless!
FACT!

i also frequently watch a show called 'Booze Britain'
f-ing hilarious most of the time.

but you guys sure know how to deal with the alcohol.

but on a more serious note, it is disturbing and alcohol addicition can be hard to defeat.

thanks for bringing to my attention.

SnF

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
What do you expect?

A country with no direction, no light at the end of a very bleak tunnel for your children or even their children, bugger all to do, everyone in seats of privilege with their own noses in the trough, a looming pensions crisis on par with the current financial mess. No future. It's inevitable.
edit on 1-8-2011 by chocise because: pensions

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Never mind Britain.. WHAT ABOUT MY ALCOHOL PROBLEM!?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

you're out of beer?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't know much about it but maybe it is the drinking age there? My younger half brother lives there and at 14 yrs old told me about going to the pub with his mum and having a drink or two every weekend. Is this the norm there?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

you're out of beer?

HAHA, and vodka my friend..

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Only Alcohol problem I've seen is the bottom of an empty bottle.... Now there's a problem..

As far as Brits drinking too much.. well if they want to drink too much... isn't it up to them really?

The govt should not get involved with such things as they are a question of personal freedom.. Even though I know things are run a bit different over there...

I will say though... There is nothing like partying with Brits.. You are a fun people!

Of course woody there is one thing... I am definitely an Advocate of a drinking age.. (although not the 21 we have here... I mean you can die for your country but yet cannot have a beer?!?!)

I say maybe it's time for the UK to boost it to 18.. might take a bite out of it.
edit on 1-8-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Alcohol is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Smoking is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Marijuana is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is illegal.

This documentary is nothing more and nothing less - people and teenagers will still binge drink and smoke regardless of the consequences because thats how the elite keeps both the drinking and smoking companies happy and the Medical companies happy.
edit on 1-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
I don't know much about it but maybe it is the drinking age there? My younger half brother lives there and at 14 yrs old told me about going to the pub with his mum and having a drink or two every weekend. Is this the norm there?

yeah pretty much..
at least in the netherlands i've experienced the same thing but not to that kind of level.

but who's fault is it?
if a 14 year old can drink?

surely it's the parents? expecially when they take them themselves like you're implying.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Not supporting it, but incorrect on both counts. And it certainly doesn't cost the NHS 2.9bn£ a year. Time for a rational review.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It's something we like to sweep under the carpet, I mean who doesn't like a drink? But it is becoming a massive problem in the UK threatening to cripple the NHS.

As if it wasn't Already a problem?

The only places without a large amount of alcoholics are the middle eastern countries with no alcohol at all... although I believe they have their own set of issues...

Maybe one of these days the people of this earth will realize how terrible alcohol is, but until then I guess we'll be too drunk to care...
edit on 1-8-2011 by EmVeeFF because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

you're out of beer?

HAHA, and vodka my friend..

i feel for you

allthough i'm not a drinker myself, i feel the same about another substance. (green and natural, just needed to add that)

i like it from time to time, but not always available

PS, not advocating any druguse whatsoever!!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Marijuana kills? this is news to me..

Edit to add: Educate your self. Obviously you have been denied the truth.

edit on 1-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
for the people that claim marijuana kills, show me!

i've neder heard of a report or case of someone OD'ing on weed.
i think that is physically impossible as well, you'd be sound asleep for that ever happens

imho alcohol is a MUCH bigger problem then marijuana.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

i feel for you

allthough i'm not a drinker myself, i feel the same about another substance. (green and natural, just needed to add that)

Do not talk about that substance! You know, the one with therapeutic uses and questionable health benefits. Why use one natural substance when you could pay twice as much for multiple synthetic fixes? You smokers make no sense to me

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmVeeFF

i feel for you

Do not talk about that substance! You know, the one with therapeutic uses and questionable health benefits. Why use one natural substance when you could pay twice as much for multiple synthetic fixes? You smokers make no sense to me

you mean the one that relieves cancer patients and people with rheumathism?

several studies showing cancerkilling qualities? that substance?

that substance that can be made into clothing, paper, medicine, fuel etc?

that one??

k, i'll shut it

edit on 1-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Football and alcohol, it keeps the proles happy and content, they go home and beat up the wife and the kids grow up and do the same.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EmVeeFF

Nothing wrong with tobacco. My grandfather smoked a pipe well into his 90s. Never had a health issue [from it]. I doubt even smokers cost your NHS near on 3bn£ considering the amount of revenue generated.

And anyway, everything in moderation. What's wrong with people! Why do you need to get out of your head every night? Oh, it's the 'no future, no hope thing'. Of course.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

nice thread btw Vampire!

SnF for the thread you linked

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join