It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian retailers are pulling "violent" games off the shelves.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
The government doesn't want to ban them, they serve their pupose too well, but we the people could demand that they be banned....so yes, it's about turning their own laws against their own propaganda and social engineering.

ETA: You seem to have a mindset which believes that we are simply victims and they tell us what to do. IMO that's playing into their hands. Many things happen because we let them happen by doing nothing. We can make demands, we can fight back, and we can choose what to demand and what not to demand.

Fighting back by banning things you don't agree with is not in the people's best interest. That kind of behavior will only get you an Orwellian police state. Banning something "because it's bad for the children" only sets a precedent that can and will be exploited at every opportunity. You know, there's a saying that goes "Those who burn books will soon burn people."

I think that saying applies to video games as well.

Now grow up and raise your own children.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

Edit: And yes "People demanding they be banned" does give the government more control. You want to "demand" that the government has authorization to use force against someone who enjoys a form of entertainment you don't like. Unless it's the "people" who you want to be using the force - either way, it won't end well for us citizens.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I hope they ban all violent video games!
Right along with all

-Violent Movies
-Violent Songs
-Violent Books (that would mean nearly all religious books first and foremost)
-Violent T.V. shows
-Violent Artwork
-Violent War memorials

Whats left anything? I am sure someone will consider rainbows to be violent because after all light can be used as a laser to hurt people.

PEW PEW PEW

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

The government doesn't want to ban them, they serve their pupose too well, but we the people could demand that they be banned....so yes, it's about turning their own laws against their own propaganda and social engineering.

ETA: You seem to have a mindset which believes that we are simply victims and they tell us what to do. IMO that's playing into their hands. Many things happen because we let them happen by doing nothing. We can make demands, we can fight back, and we can choose what to demand and what not to demand.

Fighting back by banning things you don't agree with is not in the people's best interest. That kind of behavior will only get you an Orwellian police state. Banning something "because it's bad for the children" only sets a precedent that can and will be exploited at every opportunity. You know, there's a saying that goes "Those who burn books will soon burn people."

I think that saying applies to video games as well.

Now grow up and raise your own children.

Edit: And yes "People demanding they be banned" does give the government more control. You want to "demand" that the government has authorization to use force against someone who enjoys a form of entertainment you don't like. Unless it's the "people" who you want to be using the force - either way, it won't end well for us citizens.

I'm not talking about creating an Orwellian police state, that's what we have already. I'm talking about using whatever means is available to us to turn the tables on these vermin. In this case I'm suggesting using our power to demand that they stop something they don't want to stop....using their own system to weaken their own system.

I'm against government intervention in private lives, I want to see it gone forever - and I see this as one possibl tiny strategic step on the way to aboloshing government in its present form completely and forever. They are banning all sorts of things - including fresh food and natural medecine.....so the point I was making is as long as their system is still in plance let's pressure them into banning something which would actually be for our benefit and not theirs.
edit on 3-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen

I agree with you.
However, most people want their violent video games because they have been programmed that way. They don't see that they are being programmed constantly. One day they will wake up and see that they are what they eat. If you consume violence then you will be violent.
Being violent is an unpleasant sensation that is felt as fear, it results in the response fight or flight. In this world we are constantly bombarded with the intense need to 'fight' or 'run'. We are not allowed to fight, it is against the law, and to run away, where? We are trapped!!!!
We can not scream, although that scream is there.
It puts in mind the painting The Scream by Munch.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by citizen

I agree with you.
However, most people want their violent video games because they have been programmed that way. They don't see that they are being programmed constantly. One day they will wake up and see that they are what they eat. If you consume violence then you will be violent.
Being violent is an unpleasant sensation that is felt as fear, it results in the response fight or flight. In this world we are constantly bombarded with the intense need to 'fight' or 'run'. We are not allowed to fight, it is against the law, and to run away, where? We are trapped!!!!
We can not scream, although that scream is there.
It puts in mind the painting The Scream by Munch.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Yes, and the violent video games are programming young people to accept violence as the norm - in the form of wars, police violence, etc, and in this way they subvert the potential opposition of the future.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I'm talking about using whatever means is available to us to turn the tables on these vermin. In this case I'm suggesting using our power to demand that they stop something they don't want to stop....using their own system to weaken their own system.

Now you are just getting offensive. Digital game design is a valid art. One that rivals painting, cinema, sculpture, music, and literature. In fact, in hindsight, we may find that it even trumps those mediums as it combines nearly all of them in seamless masterpieces.

There have been people like you throughout history. They were the ones burning piles of books, burning down theaters, blacklisting musicians from entire states, and destroying priceless works when under occupation of a foreign culture. All because art did not mesh with their personal demons (or morals as you'd call them).

Make no mistake, your way of thinking is on its way out. Has been since the 17th century. Just because a new art form pops up does not mean you are finally right. You are still wrong to oppress art.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Cuervo because: First cup of coffee...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I'm talking about using whatever means is available to us to turn the tables on these vermin. In this case I'm suggesting using our power to demand that they stop something they don't want to stop....using their own system to weaken their own system.

Now you are just getting offensive. Digital game design is a valid art. One that rivals painting, cinema, sculpture, music, and literature. In fact, in hindsight, we may find that it even trumps those mediums as it combines nearly all of them in seamless masterpieces.

There have been people like you throughout history. They were the ones burning piles of books, burning down theaters, blacklisting musicians from entire states, and destroying priceless works when under occupation of a foreign culture. All because art did not mesh with their personal demons (or morals as you'd call them).

Make no mistake, your way of thinking is on its way out. Has been since the 17th century. Just because a new art form pops up does not mean you are finally right. You are still wrong to oppress art.

Uh? You may find my calling TPTB vermin offensive. In my opinion it's the truth. Make no mistake, we have to use all means we have available to get these vermin out.

Art has become one more buzz word in the social engineering by TPTB. I'm not interested in whether something is labelled 'art' or not - I want our society to stop damaging our young people. You can stick the label 'art' on anything you choose, it's meaningless.

It seems you are deliberately misconstruing what I say. Is wanting wars to stop like burning books too? I want the killing to stop, the exploitaton of more than half the world to stop, I want hunger and poverty to stop, I want the world to be free of the heinous Cabal and their heinous programme to reduce humanity to the lowest level possible. There is a whole, different new way of living together in our world which is not outside of our grasp - and that is a world where our children and young people would thrive and blossom in peace and security instead of having their minds filled with violence, fear and destruction.
edit on 3-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Uh? You may find my calling TPTB vermin offensive. In my opinion it's the truth. Make no mistake, we have to use all means we have available to get these vermin out.

Art has become one more buzz word in the social engineering by TPTB. I'm not interested in whether something is 'art' or not - I want our society to stop damaging our young people. You can stick the label 'art' on anything you choose, it's meaningless.

It seems you are deliberately misconstruing what I say. Is wanting wars to stop like burning books too? I want the killing to stop, the exploitaton of more than half the world to stop, I want hunger and poverty to stop, I want the world to be free of the heinous Cabal and their heinous programme to reduce humanity to the lowest level possible.

No, art is not a "buzzword" given by social engineers. It is given by artists. Clearly, you do not understand which is exactly why you are the contemporary version of the classic book-burner. Their arguments through out time has mimicked yours exactly.

"Books teach our children to question authority!"
"Movies with hand holding are of the devil!"
"That statue has bare breasts! Destroy it!"
"If you play that song backwards it says 'kill yerseeeelf'. Sue them!"

No, your argument is not akin to anti-war or anti-hunger as you suggest; it's simply anti-art. I'd like to see you go to a studio filled with conceptual artists, programmers, and developers to tell them that what they just slaved over for two years straight is not art.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Art has become one more buzz word in the social engineering by TPTB. I'm not interested in whether something is 'art' or not - I want our society to stop damaging our young people. You can stick the label 'art' on anything you choose, it's meaningless.

It seems you are deliberately misconstruing what I say. Is wanting wars to stop like burning books too? I want the killing to stop, the exploitaton of more than half the world to stop, I want hunger and poverty to stop, I want the world to be free of the heinous Cabal and their heinous programme to reduce humanity to the lowest level possible.

No, art is not a "buzzword" given by social engineers. It is given by artists. Clearly, you do not understand which is exactly why you are the contemporary version of the classic book-burner. Their arguments through out time has mimicked yours exactly.

"Books teach our children to question authority!"
"Movies with hand holding are of the devil!"
"That statue has bare breasts! Destroy it!"
"If you play that song backwards it says 'kill yerseeeelf'. Sue them!"

No, your argument is not akin to anti-war or anti-hunger as you suggest; it's simply anti-art. I'd like to see you go to a studio filled with conceptual artists, programmers, and developers to tell them that what they just slaved over for two years straight is not art.

No, you just don't understand to what extent you have been conditioned. Also, you're just repeating yourself without acknowledging what I'm saying. You clearly just want to be right and have no desire to discuss anything in an intelligent manner. So - no point in discussing this further. Have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Conditioned by what? I'm involved in that industry. I have no illusions and it is also why I take personal offense by you discrediting the medium as an art form.

I acknowledge what you say. I get that you feel it's destroying our youth. I get that. But it's no different than every other art form that has come out that is eventually assimilated into normal, everyday respectable culture.

Any disservice that is being done to our youth regarding digital gaming, is being committed by neglectful parents. Do you let your children watch R-rated (or even X -rated) movies? Of course not. Why? Because you understand that cinema is an art form created for varying age demographics and you can behave like a parent. The only difference is the parents being ignorant.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If I don't play violent video games daily, I will destroy someone. So I dare them to try that here.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Them pulling those games off teh shelves is reportedly making kids very violent over their.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What happened to that study that showed if someone palyed a game for 30mins/1 hour before work they are much more capable of handling any pressures or troubles.

Basically the mind of a gamer is very adept at problem solving and staying cool and collected under stress.

Yes, maybe some gamers need to go outside and/or get a job but there are hard working adult gamers who use it to unwind after a days work.

Alchohol and cigarettes should be whats being discussed about being banned. I use both, but they cause so much more death and destruction than video games. Keep kids off booze and smokes.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
bah, today i was at the mall buying some stuff and went to a local retailer who was not coop or platekompaniet buisniss (responsible for putting down the shelvs) but i found out they were also a part of it.

the problem is that Dead island is getting realeasd to the store tomorow but it seems like its only on PS3.

but the store owner told me that he was going to ask if they are not getting it for the PC version.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychedelica

Everyone just buys PC games on Steam nowadays.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This isn't even about the games though it's about a bunch of people that screwed up and are now looking for a scapegoat to keep their jobs. I could right now get some seriously violent games from the net legally and for free so it is obvious they are just picking the most recognizable games and banning them to take pressure off themselves. It's a lot easier than admitting that some of the organizations that support Norway's political parties or even the politicians themselves had something to do with helping this guy do what he did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join