It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian retailers are pulling "violent" games off the shelves.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
www.gamasutra.com...

The article states that first a retailer called Coop, now a second called Platekompaniet who is a major retailer, is pulling a list of games off the shelves due to the recent shooting tragedy. Pulled games include Homefront, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Counter-Strike Source,the Call of Duty series, and World of Warcraft. I remember reading from another article the shooter mentioned playing some of these games. To me this is a very knee jerk reaction to a bigger problem. The shooter claimed he was killing to protect his culture, and didn't say anything about "video games made me do it". My real problem with this is that other countries will want to pull games preemptively, and it becomes a witch hunt. Conservatives will want to get there way and we will only have Super Mario Sunshine Flower Picking and Need for Speed Road Safety Edition to pick from.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I play violent video games all the time, and i havent killed anyone. People need to stop blaming games all the time

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

What a joke! Videogames had nothing to do with it, it was purely religious. Didn't he write a several hundred page manifesto about starting a new crusade or something like that? Where's the movement to pull Bibles off the shelves?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zionistsareterrorists

Same dude, I've played most of the Grand Theft Auto games extensively, along with the Halo Series, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Gears of War 2, and I'm not picking up a chainsaw and trying to saw people in half, or loading up a weapon and running around my neighborhood shooting people to raise my K/D ratio in real life.

Blaming violence on videogames is incredibly stupid.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that common sense isn't dead!

Good for the Norwegians. Violent video games should be banned. The world doesn't need more violence being hammered into people's psyches, most of all not those of our children.

Many tests have shown that violent video games desensitise people to actual violence in the real world.

These violent video games are all part of the Vermin's plan to wreck our society, otherwise they would not even exist.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Good for the Norwegians. Violent video games should be banned. The world doesn't need more violence being hammered into people's psyches, most of all not those of our children.

Many tests have shown that violent video games desensitise people to actual violence in the real world.

These violent video games are all part of the Vermin's plan to wreck our society, otherwise they would not even exist.
Are you kidding? If you don't want children playing M-rated games, don't buy your children M-rated games! It appears that common sense indeed is dead. :shk:
edit on 1-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by wiandiii

What a joke! Videogames had nothing to do with it, it was purely religious. Didn't he write a several hundred page manifesto about starting a new crusade or something like that? Where's the movement to pull Bibles off the shelves?

That's what I was thinking. I don't see them closing churches.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

No, they desensitize people to those situations. If Left 4 Dead desensitized me to a zombie apocalypse, all the better. If a trend of violence occurs in digital gaming where the protagonists share your name and exact genetic make-up, then you'll have a good point.

COD doesn't desensitize me to killing my neighbor; it desensitizes me to killing Nazis in the 1940's. As far as I know, it is not possible for me to ever be in that situation. GTA doesn't desensitize me to killing people in my neighborhood; it desensitizes me to being a very specific person in a fictitious place killing bad guys.

If all it took was a video game to tip somebody over the edge, then there are much deeper reasons that person should have been institutionalized long before he bought a console or PC.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Are you kidding? If you don't want children playing M-rated games, don't buy your children M-rated games! It appears that common sense indeed is dead. :shk:

No, I'm absolutely not kidding....and I believe these games should be banned. I find it hard to believe that some parents are stupid enough to allow their kids to spend hours playing these games and having these images of extreme violence imprinted on their subconscious. Common sense is indeed dead.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If you think it was video games that made this guy do what he did then you're as insane as he was.

Edit: Video games are being blamed because, since the guy was a conservative white Christian, there's nothing else to blame it on.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Watch how many people start going crazy and shooting stuff after these video games fly off the shelves, no longer will they be able to vent their anger or free time into something enjoyable instead they might take it to the street... I see this as having an opposite affect then they're trying to achieve, I feel sorry for those poor Nor kids......

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

No, I'm absolutely not kidding....and I believe these games should be banned. I find it hard to believe that some parents are stupid enough to allow their kids to spend hours playing these games and having these images of extreme violence imprinted on their subconscious. Common sense is indeed dead.
So we should ban video games? Who are you, Hilary Clinton? If parents don't want their children having "images of extreme violence imprinted on their subconscious", then the parents won't buy their kids the videogames! Banning videogames would be absolutely retarded.

Why don't we ban television too? There's lots of violent stuff on there, we don't want our weak minded, unintelligent children being exposed to those things, because apparently they're so stupid that they can't tell fiction apart from reality.

Why don't we ban books too? In high school I read about some kid getting raped in 'Kite Runner', I don't recall every holding a child down in an alley and raping him in a game of Black Ops.

Why don't we ban all religion too? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more acts of violence have been committed in the name of religion as opposed to in the name of John Spartan or Niko Bellic. Where is the several hundred page manifesto detailing how videogames drove him to the brink of insanity?

It's up to the parents to choose what they feel comfortable exposing their children to, not some politician in Washington DC.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

So we should ban video games? Who are you, Hilary Clinton? If parents don't want their children having "images of extreme violence imprinted on their subconscious", then the parents won't buy their kids the videogames! Banning videogames would be absolutely retarded.

Why don't we ban television too?

Yes, that's a great idea. TV is the main broadcaster of government propaganda and mindless programmes to dumb down the people....TV is the most effective means used by the government to programme people to think the way TPTB want them to think.

There's lots of violent stuff on there, we don't want our weak minded, unintelligent children being exposed to those things, because apparently they're so stupid that they can't tell fiction apart from reality.

Young children can't, and our subconscious can't. Try thinking of a lemon, imagine cutting it in half and you'll find your mouth watering. That's because our subconscious doesn't distinguish between imaginary and 'real'....
TPTB, of course, know this and and use it constantly to influence people's thinking and responses. TV is one of their most effective mind manipulation tools. Most people are ignorant of this fact and happily submit themselves to government mind control through spending hours watching TV, videos, etc.

Why don't we ban books too? In high school I read about some kid getting raped in 'Kite Runner', I don't recall every holding a child down in an alley and raping him in a game of Black Ops.

Children should be protected from certain books, I agree. Personally I think many books are negative, but the impact is different because it's a very different medium. The images and sounds from videos, films, etc, are received directly and uncritically by the subconscious. Often they are packed with subliminals too.

Why don't we ban all religion too? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more acts of violence have been committed in the name of religion as opposed to in the name of John Spartan or Niko Bellic.

That's another great idea. Religion is also a tool of the oppressors to instill fear, guilt and subordination into the people. As you say, religion is responsible for unimaginable acts of mass murder and violence over the centuries and still today. It's sheer hypocrisy and lies - just as the Vatican is the wealthiest city in the world and is possibly the most evil institution on the planet today.

Where is the several hundred page manifesto detailing how videogames drove him to the brink of insanity?

It's up to the parents to choose what they feel comfortable exposing their children to, not some politician in Washington DC.

Mm, many parents submit to pressure from the kids, and the kids submit to pressure from their peers and their desire to be like everything else. The advertising industry is the tool of the controllers and they give massive publicity to get children to want these things. It's not as simple as you're making out.

And while we're on the subject of banning, let's ban war too....and state education as well, which is another form of government mind manipulation.

edit on 1-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

By your logic we should ban movies too. A kid playing a violent video game is not different than a kid watching a violent movie. The solution is to not let your kids have access to these violent games. That's your responsibility to make sure they don't get their hands on them, not the government's.

Would you let your nine year old watch something like Pulp Fiction? No? Then don't buy them freakin' Grand Theft Auto, this doesn't take a rocket scientist.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

By your logic we should ban movies too. A kid playing a violent video game is not different than a kid watching a violent movie. The solution is to not let your kids have access to these violent games. That's your responsibility to make sure they don't get their hands on them, not the government's.

Would you let your nine year old watch something like Pulp Fiction? No? Then don't buy them freakin' Grand Theft Auto, this doesn't take a rocket scientist.

We are all responsible for the well being of children in our society, not just our own kids....many people don't understand how the subconscious works and how government mind manipulation and programming work. You obviously aren't.

Do yourself a huge favor and inform yourself about it properly so you can make a fully informed choice. It's important. Your responses are typical of a young person who is not at all informed about how sinister the government mind manipulation is. You think you're very smart - so be smart and get informed.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I have made a fully informed decision and that's why I wouldn't buy my young children a freaking 'M' rated game. It is a parent's responsibility to raise their children, not the government's.

You're saying you want to stop government manipulation by giving them more power over our lives? Sorry but I don't need the government telling me what's bad for me and my children and what's not, they're not freakin' babysitters. People need to grow up and raise their own children for once rather than relying on the government to tell them how to do it.

Make your own decisions about what is and isn't appropriate for your children.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

You are simply wrong. The connection between video games and its effect on the brain is something I've studied extensively. If you want real science based on peer-reviewed articles and experiments, check out the thread in my signature. It is specifically about that.

In short, your actions are interpreted by your brain the same way simulated actions are. The difference is that you still know the difference.

Look at Farmville (one of the most widespread played games in history). I don't see a bunch of people knocking down Walmarts in order to make room for crops.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I have made a fully informed decision and that's why I wouldn't buy my young children a freaking 'M' rated game. It is a parent's responsibility to raise their children, not the government's.

You're saying you want to stop government manipulation by giving them more power over our lives? Sorry but I don't need the government telling me what's bad for me and my children and what's not, they're not freakin' babysitters. People need to grow up and raise their own children for once rather than relying on the government to tell them how to do it.

Make your own decisions about what is and isn't appropriate for your children.

I want US, we the people, to get them banned because I believe they are government instigated tools of mind manipulation and social engineering which are destructive, By the same token I want to see all corrupt mafia politicians, banksters, judges banned, charged and imprisoned. They are doing everything they can to brutalise people's mind and emotons and cause our society to rot and decay and I won't stop fighting back.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I want them banned because I believe they are government instigated tools of mind manipulation which are destructive.

Let me get this straight; you believe they are government tools of manipulation, so you want to give the government even more power to ban them? How does giving the government more control over our everyday lives lessen the manipulation?

Edit: You're playing right into their hands here. Next thing you know they'll be banning the internet because "it's bad for children" or monitoring all our phone calls "to make sure the children don't hear anything harmful". It's your responsibility to raise you children, we don't need to turn the government into an Orwellian police state just because you're a lazy parent.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I want them banned because I believe they are government instigated tools of mind manipulation which are destructive.

Let me get this straight; you believe they are government tools of manipulation, so you want to give the government even more power to ban them? How does giving the government more control over our everyday lives lessen the manipulation?

Edit: You're playing right into their hands here. Next thing you know they'll be banning the internet because "it's bad for children" or monitoring all our phone calls "to make sure the children don't hear anything harmful". It's your responsibility to raise you children, we don't need to turn the government into an Orwellian police state just because you're a lazy parent.

The government doesn't want to ban them, they serve their pupose too well, but we the people could demand that they be banned....so yes, it's about turning their own laws against their own propaganda and social engineering.

ETA: You seem to have a mindset which believes that we are simply victims and they tell us what to do. IMO that's playing into their hands. Many things happen because we let them happen by doing nothing. We can make demands, we can fight back, and we can choose what to demand and what not to demand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join